Talk

Advanced search

Elena vs Eleni

(34 Posts)
lucieloos Mon 27-Feb-17 07:50:58

Which is nicest? There are so many pronunciations of Elena it worries me a little.

SuperBeagle Mon 27-Feb-17 07:55:16

Elena.

Eleni is nice, but very Greek (as in, rarely used outside of that culture), so that's something to consider. Also, you'll still encounter pronunciation problems: eh-LEH-nee, or EH-leh-nee, for example. I've heard people put the emphasis on both syllables.

FacelikeaBagofHammers Mon 27-Feb-17 07:56:51

Eleni is absolutely gorgeous!

NormaSmuff Mon 27-Feb-17 07:57:11

I like Eleni

BikeRunSki Mon 27-Feb-17 07:59:23

I love Eleni, but Elena/Eleanor is more excepted to the Anglophone ear, so an Eleni in the UK will spend a lot of time correcting people. I have a good friend with an English Eleni in the UK (high school age) - this is what she tells me.

OdinsLoveChild Mon 27-Feb-17 08:05:19

My friend is an Eleni. She got so fed up of correcting people she is now known as Elen.
I only know 2 ways to pronounce Elena. El-en-ah or El-een-ah.
But most names will have regional variations where, what you believe to be a simple name, manages to sound rather odd.

Jooni Mon 27-Feb-17 08:06:40

Ooh definitely Eleni!

confusedandemployed Mon 27-Feb-17 08:08:13

Elena is quite popular here in Wales, Eleni not so much, mainly because it means "this year" in Welsh.

Rockaby Mon 27-Feb-17 08:15:40

I prefer Eleni but like both.

NormaSmuff Mon 27-Feb-17 08:17:25

I like Heleena <pronounce>

lucieloos Mon 27-Feb-17 08:25:42

Confused, how is it pronounced in Wales?

gtyrfctsrght Mon 27-Feb-17 08:26:21

Elena

Names ending in i just say try hard to me

EssentialHummus Mon 27-Feb-17 08:29:09

I prefer Eleni, but would name Elena with "Leni" as a nn (after the one Eleni I know).

Sugarpiehoneyeye Mon 27-Feb-17 09:19:02

Eleni is beautiful !

GraciesMansion Mon 27-Feb-17 09:21:13

Eleni. My dd has a friend called Eleni and she's never had any problems with people mispronouncing it.

AuntieStella Mon 27-Feb-17 09:22:46

The only Eleni I know is Greek. I think it's a lovely name

lucieloos Mon 27-Feb-17 11:00:53

I think Eleni is pretty but do wonder if it is too Greek. Also I think it could quite easily be misheard for Lenny on the telephone etc?

I know Elena is normally pronounced Eh-Lay-Na but I quite like El-En-ah. Do you think this is ok?

confusedandemployed Mon 27-Feb-17 11:22:22

lucieloos Elena would be pronounced Ell-ENN-ah with the stress on the second syllable. Eleni is pronounced Ell-ENN-every but isn't used as a name, as i said.

confusedandemployed Mon 27-Feb-17 11:22:54

Ell-ENN-eeeh- bloody autocorrect!

lucieloos Mon 27-Feb-17 11:40:50

Thanks confused, that's the way I like Elena said. I suppose once people get used to the way you pronounce it then it's fine.

minipie Mon 27-Feb-17 11:41:04

Eleni! Lovely name, I know a little one (she is half greek I think)

I think there will be spelling or pronunciation issues with either tbh. If you use Elena she will get people spelling it Eleanor. At least Eleni is more unusual so people might actually ask how to spell it!

theothercatpurred Mon 27-Feb-17 11:43:51

Eleni is beautiful. I don't normally compliment people on their names but when I met an Eleni a few years back I did.

lucieloos Mon 27-Feb-17 13:28:45

I do really like Eleni but is it too Greek sounding for somebody living in the uk with no Greek connections?

theothercatpurred Mon 27-Feb-17 14:48:29

I think it's fine!

Loads of people are calling their DDs Astrid or Freya at the moment, with no Scandinavian - or Norse! - connections. Also Elodie is becoming popular, and that's French.

Most people won't instantly know Eleri is Greek, specifically IMO, it's just a nice sounding name. Also because names starting El were incredibly popular a few years back (lots of names you could NN to Ellie basically) it doesn't sound totally unfamiliar IYSWIM.

FWIW my English uncle was called a Greek name that no one non-Greek used, 70-odd years ago, it's now a top 40 name in the UK, little versions of his name are everywhere!

MSGwtaf Mon 27-Feb-17 15:54:05

I know 2 Eleni's.
One is Greek and pronunciation is Eh-len-ee the other is Turkish and it is Eh-Lay-Nee.
I think Eleni with the first pronunciation is beautiful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now