Talk

Advanced search

Oliver and Eleanor?

(13 Posts)
Popgoestheronweasley Thu 23-Feb-17 20:21:39

I need honest opinions please.

Dc1 is Oliver, known almost all the time as Ollie.

Dc2 (dd) has a totally unrelated name.

Now expecting dc3 and dh and I love the name Eleanor if we have a girl. We would never shorten Eleanor to Ellie but other people might.

All my friends have said they think it's fine but not sure if they're just being polite!

So, can we get away with Oliver, dd and Eleanor and not raise eyebrows? And what are the chances of us maintaining that her name is Eleanor and not Ellie?

TIA

Bobbybobbins Thu 23-Feb-17 20:23:50

I think you can get away with it. How about Nell as an alternative nn for Eleanor?

smilingsarahb Thu 23-Feb-17 20:27:28

My instant thought was Ollie and Ellie which are very similar...but siblings they don't spend an awful lot of time being talked about as a pair really, especially if there is one in between and you never use Ellie. (I have a relative called Eleanor within the family, all her friends call her Ellie so I doubt you will control that)

Popgoestheronweasley Thu 23-Feb-17 21:31:43

I'm so torn - it's the one name we both agree on but to me Ollie and Ellie sounds twee and I fear we won't avoid it (and suspect mil would insist on calling the baby Ellie to make a point about it!)

I do like the Nell suggestion, but would just prefer Eleanor.

Thanks for your thoughts

Dontrocktheboat Thu 23-Feb-17 21:43:43

I think it's fine - Nell is a nicer nickname than Ellie so maybe try to push that? I think they sound nice together.

EweAreHere Thu 23-Feb-17 21:47:14

I know Eleanors who are 'Eleanor', not nicknames.

However, I do think 'Oliver' and 'Eleanor' sound awfully similar, as do 'Ollie' and 'Ellie'. Possibly a bit much.

NotAMammy Thu 23-Feb-17 21:48:27

My ovaries just kicked at the thought of an Oliver and an Eleanor if that makes any difference?
Gorgeous names!

hels71 Thu 23-Feb-17 21:52:10

I have an Eleanor who is 9, and she is always known as Eleanor, never Ellie...

GRW Fri 24-Feb-17 07:30:47

What about Helena which sounds similar and won't get shortened to Ellie.

Hubabubba Fri 24-Feb-17 08:45:37

Ollie and Ellie is too twee and similar imo

Popgoestheronweasley Fri 24-Feb-17 09:04:49

It sounds like we shouldn't - I really don't want to risk Ollie and Ellie. Maybe we can use Eleanor as a middle name.

Back to the drawing board...

Scribblegirl Fri 24-Feb-17 09:06:19

I wouldn't necessarily rule it out - my friend is one of four and she has a sister Eleanor (never Ellie though) and a brother Oliver, who is always Ollie.

Montsti Fri 24-Feb-17 12:40:29

They are a little sameish but because you've got another child in between them, I don't think it matters. Both lovely names btw

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now