Talk

Advanced search

What do you think of Deryn?

(27 Posts)
Catherinebee85 Mon 20-Feb-17 14:10:52

Haven't mentioned this to DP yet but...what do you think of the name Deryn for a girl? It comes from the Welsh Aderyn meaning bird. I think it's pretty but I'm interested in what others think x

EggsEleven Mon 20-Feb-17 15:04:11

Unless you live in Wales, I think you and/or your DD will spend a lifetime being asked how it's spelt, where is the name from etc etc and being met with blank faces. If you're OK with this, then the name is fine.

I suffer with the above with my 7 month DD and I would say her name isn't as unusual as Deryn.

ZaZathecat Mon 20-Feb-17 15:06:40

Well, I do know a Derryn (2rs). I think it's quite pretty.

ILoveCheeseMoreThanYou Mon 20-Feb-17 15:09:28

Irish spelling is Doireann

CryingShame Mon 20-Feb-17 15:12:11

Not knowing the name, I'd expected you to say it was for a boy, similar to Darren. Is it pronounced Derrun?

KoalaDownUnder Mon 20-Feb-17 15:13:41

I only know Derryn, spelled this way, for a boy.

I don't like it for boys or girls, sorry.

Catherinebee85 Mon 20-Feb-17 15:26:38

Like Erin with a D smile

Drquin Mon 20-Feb-17 15:42:54

I know one ..... I'll say this and it applies to all kinds of normal or weird & wonderful names ..... After a while it just becomes "the name".

I've got a fairly standard name popular in mid-70s and I get asked how to spell it .... And it was the Eve or Ava of its day.

dalmatianmad Mon 20-Feb-17 15:44:58

I think it's a lovely name....

KlingybunFistelvase Mon 20-Feb-17 15:45:52

I don't like it all that much. I prefer Erin.

Derren Brown the magician was my first thought, and when I first heard his name I thought someone had mispronounced Darren as I hadn't heard of Derren before.

rainbowstardrops Mon 20-Feb-17 16:01:34

I like it! I also like Aderyn. I like Erin too.
I just wonder if you'd need a double d so people know it's an 'add' sound?

I love it! It would be our name for future DD2, if DD1 wasn't Celyn (don't want it to be too rhymey!).

Beautiful, beautiful name.

rainbowstardrops Mon 20-Feb-17 16:04:37

* that was for the Aderyn name.
I love Deryn

spankhurst Mon 20-Feb-17 16:06:31

It sounds very like a boy's name to me. TBH, it sounds like Darren that someone has tried to make 'unique and creative' with a slightly altered spelling.

KlingybunFistelvase Mon 20-Feb-17 16:25:43

Fwiw I think Aderyn is a lot nicer than Deryn on its own. Arwen is really lovely too and a similar sound to Aderyn maybe.

Hullygully Mon 20-Feb-17 16:30:55

It sounds like medication for ADHD

Brighteyes27 Mon 20-Feb-17 16:32:08

Pretentious

Frankiefarr Mon 20-Feb-17 17:08:15

I know a Deryn who is in her sixties now. Not pretentious and a lovely person. I used to really envy her name when I was little because it was more unusual here in Yorkshire and she was always getting compliments on it

SuperBeagle Mon 20-Feb-17 19:54:16

There's a well known (and very controversial) politician in Australia named Derryn Hinch. He's a man. To me it sounds like a bogan name, because it fits in so well with the other Darrell, Dale, Dave, Darren etc. names that have that connotation.

So, to me, Deryn (or any other spelling) = male, and not particularly nice.

JakeBallardswife Mon 20-Feb-17 19:58:35

I know a Derry, 16 year old boy. Good name.

junemami Sun 26-Feb-17 09:40:08

What about Delun instead?

PaperdollCartoon Sun 26-Feb-17 09:45:21

It wouldn't be my choice but I like it, would know how to pronounce it and it clearly looks Welsh to me rather than made up or a yoonique spelling. Doesn't look or sound like a boys name to me, just not a super flowery and girly girls name

JaxingJump Sun 26-Feb-17 09:46:50

I don't think it looks nice or sounds particularly nice. Pretty sure I've heard it before.

tigerdriverII Sun 26-Feb-17 09:47:59

Lovely name, I was taught (many years ago) by a Deryn.

I don't really understand the posters who say that it'll be difficult with people asking for spellings and/or pronunciation. After all there are a zillion non-yooneeque variants of Catherine, there are plenty of baffling misspellings (Pheonix, anyone?) and loads of non Anglo-Saxon names in every school. Everyone seems to manage just fine.

Purplebluebird Sun 26-Feb-17 09:55:04

I think it's a nice name, though initial thought was it's for a boy! But would work for a girl too, my son has one of those unisex names as well smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now