Talk

Advanced search

Ugh! Madonna has called her child Esther...

(26 Posts)
RuthB4 Sat 18-Feb-17 19:29:41

My current favourite girls name is Esther but I've just seen that Madonna has adopted a little girl and called her Esther (along with a twin called Stella).

Ugh! It really puts me off the name now! Do you think it'll suddenly soar in popularity? I know that sounds stupid and I'll probably get slated by people for caring but for some reason it bothers me.

Artandco Sat 18-Feb-17 19:30:51

Wasn't the child already called that years ago when they were born? The child is about 4-5 years old

RuthB4 Sat 18-Feb-17 19:32:02

Maybe! To be honest I didn't read the whole article and don't follow celeb news.

HecateAntaia Sat 18-Feb-17 19:32:26

she has changed the names of 5 year olds??

MargotLovedTom1 Sat 18-Feb-17 19:32:58

I don't think Madonna's kid will make that much difference these days.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sat 18-Feb-17 19:33:20

I think this poor child was probably named Esther by her birth parents.

Creatureofthenight Sat 18-Feb-17 19:33:59

Well I don't remember Lourdes or Rocco becoming wildly popular names...
And I think the child was already called that, I don't think Madonna changed their names.

RuthB4 Sat 18-Feb-17 19:34:36

It's more that the name might become more popular again but also become 'tainted' by being a celebrity name, if that makes sense. I see it as a beautiful, classic, name but worry it might now be picked up by people who want to imitate celebrities and so become more of a hollywood name instead. I know..... I'm being ridiculous!!

RuthB4 Sat 18-Feb-17 19:35:09

That's true about Lourdes and Rocco! Phew!

HelenDenver Sat 18-Feb-17 19:38:33

It's a classic name, no way will one celeb change that

MargotLovedTom1 Sat 18-Feb-17 19:38:50

Hmmm. I think it's fine. It may be a classic name but if this was 30 years ago everyone would be saying "Esthershock? As in Rantzen??!" I don't see Madonna's new child having a stronger association than that wink.

RuthB4 Sat 18-Feb-17 19:39:43

Haha! MargotLovedTom that made me laugh!!! grin

Ordinarily Sat 18-Feb-17 19:41:58

If you were going for something as unusual as Peaches/Apple/Moon Unit/Zowie people would spot the link. However, Esther is a classic name, so I don't think anyone will think "Madonna". My first thoughts would be "that's a nice unusual name", "Rantzen" and "book of the Bible" TBH.

SuperBeagle Sat 18-Feb-17 20:34:29

Esther will forever remind me of the film Hey, Hey It's Esther Blueburger, which is bloody funny, btw. Not a negative association at all, simply my only association with Esther.

I'm surprised Madonna's even allowed to adopt more children at this point. But she's effectively irrelevant, so don't worry about the name.

ComicSans Sat 18-Feb-17 20:39:28

My main association is Biblical, and that Esther was pretty wily and saved her entire people etc etc. Or Esther 'Bathing Beauty' Williams, also cool.

Jooni Sat 18-Feb-17 20:55:46

I think you're worrying over nothing. It's a lovely, classic name and it's been used by several celebrities already (e.g. Ewan MacGregor) without becoming wildly popular.

RuthB4 Sat 18-Feb-17 20:57:33

Thanks everyone. You've reassured me! I didn't know about Ewan McGregor's daughter but that doesn't put me off weirdly, maybe because he strikes me as more of a serious actor than an idiot celebrity! Haha!

missyB1 Sat 18-Feb-17 20:58:46

Don't tell me she's bought herself some more kids?! angry

Backhometothenorth Sat 18-Feb-17 21:05:31

I have a six month old Esther- it's a gorgeous name and I'm so glad we chose it.

Notsure1234 Sat 18-Feb-17 21:18:49

The only articles I've read have said the little girl is called Estere so slightly different

RedSauce Sat 18-Feb-17 22:21:10

There are few things I care about less in the world than the name of a celebrity's child. It would have exactly zero influence on what I chose to name my children.

MrsMeeseeks Sun 19-Feb-17 08:44:10

Esther is a lovely, classic name.

qumquat Sun 19-Feb-17 10:43:50

Madonna has had an incredible career - she's not an idiot celebrity! Esther is very common among children of African heritage but will stay unusual with White British children I think.

ElvenMoonwings Sun 19-Feb-17 16:09:27

I think it's too much of a Classic Biblical name for people to associate it with Madonna. I have noticed it seems to be a name rather popular with black Christians.

GreenTrafficLights Sun 19-Feb-17 18:39:49

Her other adopted children are David and Mercy but nobody really knows that. I think you are safe. It's not even the same spelling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now