Talk

Advanced search

Which is more popular? Does it matter?

(22 Posts)
wineapotamus Fri 17-Feb-17 16:49:04

I'm lying here with my feet up on pillows because they are so swollen, and I'm driving myself crazy with baby names! We are having a girl 2 weeks on Monday and still haven't got a name

He likes
Vita
Beatrix
Elinor (Nell)

I like
Polly
Nancy
Anwen (Annie)
Kitty.

Polly, Anwen and kitty are almost def out for a variety of reasons but he has no objections to Nancy, other than its "a bit done". I think Beatrix/Beatrice is more popular now as it goes. I do love vita and Nell but don't think they are her names, so attempting to get him to wiggle.

Which do you hear more often, Nancy or Beatrix/Beatrice?

MrsMulder Fri 17-Feb-17 16:51:24

I would say Nancy is more popular here but I wouldn't worry to much. My daughters name was uncommon when I named her 4 years ago and I hear lots of children with her name now

KavvLar Fri 17-Feb-17 16:52:29

In DC/ DNs classes (7 year Olds, 6 year Olds and 3 year Olds) there are two or three Beas who I believe are Beatrice, and I also know a five year old Beatrix. Never come across a Nancy and I really like it.

Bellaposy Fri 17-Feb-17 16:54:13

Surprisingly there are two Elinors (well an Elinor and Eleanor) in my small baby group of about 20. I have a Nell (Helena). I know one Nancy and no Beatrices although you see it all the time on here.

RedSauce Fri 17-Feb-17 16:54:33

According to the statistics, Nancy is more popular (71st vs Beatrice in 93rd and Beatrix in 207th)

If you combine Beatrix and Beatrice as one name, about the same number were born as there were Nancys in 2015

formerbabe Fri 17-Feb-17 16:59:07

I think Beatrice is more popular. I much prefer Nancy.

reuset Fri 17-Feb-17 17:16:33

Nancy is actually more popular in stats terms, as somebody has pointed out. I've heard more of Nancy around, and in popular culture (my own experience of it anyway grin)
Vita or Anwen probably least popular. Elinor/Eleanor the most popular. The others somewhere in between. Just choose what you both like best!

Jooni Fri 17-Feb-17 17:30:10

I meet loads of Beatrices but only know of 1 little Nancy.

Sirzy Fri 17-Feb-17 17:32:11

I wouldn't class any of them as popular. Much prefer Nancy though

Sugarpiehoneyeye Fri 17-Feb-17 17:55:31

I like Beatrix, as I like Trixie.
Nancy is sweet though.

CaipirinhasAllRound Fri 17-Feb-17 20:24:10

Much prefer Nancy and don't know any

mum2be2boys Fri 17-Feb-17 20:27:07

Nancy and Beatrice are my favourites from each of the lists, and I personally don't know any girls by either name. Elinor/Ellie is much more popular here.

228agreenend Fri 17-Feb-17 20:34:29

Don't like Vita or Nancy. Other names are good.

Alternative names?
Elodie
Xanthe
Dulcie
Elin
Naomi
Ruth
Paige
Lily

emochild Fri 17-Feb-17 21:30:30

They are all outside the top 50 -you're hardly going to be tripping over many of them at nursery

My vote would be Nancy

RaeSkywalker Fri 17-Feb-17 21:37:45

Beatrice is more popular here- I've never met a Nancy.

WildCherryBlossom Sat 18-Feb-17 02:20:02

There were two Beatrices at my youngest's nursery. I know Nancy is supposed to be becoming more popular but I haven't actually met any. I think it's a great name. I would go with Nancy! Could you have Beatrice as a middle name?

Graveyardkate Sat 18-Feb-17 08:28:34

There are a few Nancys round here but no Beatrices. However, Nancy is a name that has been consistently used if never very popular - as well as three or four little ones I have known in the last decade, I can also think of three mum-age Nancys and a couple of old lady Nancys.
I did once know a Beatrix and she found it infuriating that everyone called her Beatrice.

wineapotamus Sat 18-Feb-17 15:13:45

He's being infuriating and now says he's not keen on Nancy. I love Nancy! Think Nell is current front runner. This is head doing! Why are names so hard?! I'm just going to call her "the girl one", as opposed to "the boy one", or "the dog one".

wineapotamus Sat 18-Feb-17 15:14:08

Thanks everyone for the input

HainaultViaNewburyPark Sat 18-Feb-17 15:21:00

Nancy can be a nickname for Anne. Which is a very uncommon name these days. Any use?

reuset Sat 18-Feb-17 17:06:03

I'd like to hear plain old Anne being revived. Good solid name.

reuset Sat 18-Feb-17 17:06:54

And yes, you can use Nancy as a nick name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now