Talk

Advanced search

Maeve if it rhymes with Dave? Or May?

(32 Posts)
RuthB4 Tue 14-Feb-17 03:28:54

My second baby is due in May. We don't know if we're having a boy or a girl but we have a boys name sorted.

At the moment, for a girl, we're trying to decide between the names Maeve and May, and i have reservations about both!

I think Maeve is such a beautiful name and we'd call her Mae as a nickname. I like the idea of her having the choice of going by either Maeve or Mae as she grows up.
My only hesitations are that a) We're not Irish! Does that matter? And b) My hubby is Dave. ....Maeve and Dave??! Does it matter that they rhyme?! We'd be calling her Mae lots anyway.

The other option is May which I think is really sweet and pretty. But I have a feeling it's really popular? Also, I'm not sure if May translates so well for an adult? It's perfect for a little girl. ...but a 35 year old woman?? Maeve seems more of a name that would be taken seriously as a woman.
Also, she'll be born in May. ....is it stupid to then call her May??

Newyearnewbrain Tue 14-Feb-17 03:32:57

I know a Maeve pronounced May-ver, I think it's lovely. The family is French.

BikeRunSki Tue 14-Feb-17 03:37:36

The only May I know is in her 70s and it seems to work ok for her!

BikeRunSki Tue 14-Feb-17 03:37:54

The only May I know is in her 70s and it seems to work ok for her!

PetalMettle Tue 14-Feb-17 07:09:24

Maeve/Meabh is nice. I don't think it's an issue rhyming with your husband as you're not likely to be saying them a lot together. Different if it were siblings.
May is lovely. It was my granny's middle name and she used it her whole life. It's not like fifi

Mclaren37 Tue 14-Feb-17 07:37:32

I really love Maeve. I don't think it matters at all that you're not Irish. I also like Mae but don't think you'll need it as Maeve is short and brilliant.
(Personally kind of love the daughter/daddy Maeve/Dave rhyme! You will say those names together a lot and it probably will become a 'thing', but a cool onesmile).

Sugarpiehoneyeye Tue 14-Feb-17 08:47:26

I prefer May, I think it's lovely.
I only at present, know mature ladies with this name.
It's definitely a name she can grow with.
Call her after the merry month of May ! 😀

TheTartOfAsgard Tue 14-Feb-17 10:00:03

I love May as a first name - the only one I know is a Chinese girl I went to college with (spelt Mai).

Maeve is also lovely, easy to spell pronounce and as you said although it's Irish it's one of those names like Sinead, Niamh and Aisling that translate well.

Jojo13 Tue 14-Feb-17 10:46:41

I think Maeve is lovely and wouldn't even think of shortening it to May/e as it's short and punchy enough as it is. Definitely wouldn't bother me the Dave rhyming thing,

Notso Tue 14-Feb-17 11:05:57

The Maeve I know says it more like Meeve than Mave.

Mrsknackered Tue 14-Feb-17 11:07:57

Both are very cute and age well!

babyinthacorner Tue 14-Feb-17 11:12:34

Well... my Nanny was Mary but known as May (only found out she was Mary at her funeral!), born in May AND was Irish! So I'm biased, but I think May is lovely 😊

Also like Maeve - she's a badass character from Westworld so DH and I considered it for our baby!

pishedoff Tue 14-Feb-17 11:12:53

I would pronounce Maeve as Mow-ve? Am I wrong?!

The shortened version of DS2's name ( and the one he's commonly known as) rhymes perfectly with DH name grin

NarkyMcDinkyChops Tue 14-Feb-17 11:14:34

You don't have to be Irish to use an Irish name (despite how often its said on MN). You wouldn't think you'd need to be greek to use Katherine, or french to use Michelle, would you?

NarkyMcDinkyChops Tue 14-Feb-17 11:14:57

I would pronounce Maeve as Mow-ve? Am I wrong?!

Yes, rather wrong.

pishedoff Tue 14-Feb-17 11:16:22

Oh well you learn something new every day, I've never known a Maeve but always imagined it to sound like that!

Ordinarily Tue 14-Feb-17 12:02:13

I like May and it's underused as a first name. I don't think it makes any difference whether May is the birth month or not.

EggsEleven Tue 14-Feb-17 12:06:10

I don't think it matters if you're not Irish if you spell it Maeve. Would be different if it was spelt Meabh.

I love the name Maeve but it is a bit unfortunate paired with Dave. Dave and Maeve does sound like a bit of intentional ryhming.

May/Mae is also a lovely name. I would probably go with that due to the Dave issue.

RueDeDay Tue 14-Feb-17 12:11:43

pished I think you are thinking of the colour, mauve!

marmitecheesetoast Tue 14-Feb-17 12:12:00

I love both names, and think makes more sense to use May when born in that month anyway! I would probably go for Maeve because as you say it gives the option of Mae or Maeve. Both are lovely though.

I don't think the Maeve/Dave thing would really be a problem?

pishedoff Tue 14-Feb-17 15:02:24

Ah yes Rue! blushgrin

Florrie21 Tue 14-Feb-17 16:37:16

Why not just grow with Mae? It's gorgeous.

Florrie21 Tue 14-Feb-17 16:39:43

I personally wouldn't do Dave and Maeve I don't think and I prefer Mae born in May. Lovely names though, good luck.

spankhurst Tue 14-Feb-17 16:40:44

Both are beautiful, I would choose May but Maeve is adorable too.

lindylove14 Tue 14-Feb-17 16:43:09

There are lots of under 14s with May as a middle name but I can't think of any who use it as a first name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now