Talk

Advanced search

Partner won't even discuss my No. 1 choice

(61 Posts)
user1486667116 Thu 09-Feb-17 19:15:32

I'm not even pregnant yet, we are trying, but we were chatting about baby names. I always loved the name Peregrine either for a boy or a girl. I know it's a boy's name, but I think it would be nice as a girl's name too. I'm obviously not dead set on this, very much up for discussion and have some other names I like too, but my partner wouldn't even consider it. He just says that it's a stupid name.

My question is, is it really that stupid? I'm basically trying to counter his 'it's stupid' argument with 'but other people think it's nice too'.

I have some other, more common names I like too, so I'm sure we will be able to agree on something. smile

Fackorf Thu 09-Feb-17 19:17:56

Your partner is being rude but I can't disagree with his point, I'm afraid.

Surreyblah Thu 09-Feb-17 19:19:36

Yabu, that's an "out there" name he dislikes, so it's fair enough to veto it. both parents need to like the name.

Pleasejustgetdressed Thu 09-Feb-17 19:20:47

I'm with him and I like out there namesz

user1486667116 Thu 09-Feb-17 19:21:27

I think he's a bit touchy about it, because his sister decided to name her baby with a really weird name (don't want to say what it is, because she's on Mumsnet) and the whole family has been laughing about it and begging him not to do the same. Apart from the mother, no one calls the baby by the first name.

Soubriquet Thu 09-Feb-17 19:22:09

It's a bit of a "try hard" name tbh

Wolfiefan Thu 09-Feb-17 19:22:28

A) you're not even pregnant yet?!
B) I wouldn't give my child such an unusual name. You may like it but they are the ones who have to live with it. He may be rude in how he's expressing his point but I can see why he doesn't like it.

Trills Thu 09-Feb-17 19:24:59

Even if a hundred people came on this thread and said it was a lovely name, your DP still hates it, so it wouldn't matter.

Popskipiekin Thu 09-Feb-17 19:25:32

I knew a boy Peregrine. We called him Peri. He suits it. Not sure for girl...

Ilovecaindingle Thu 09-Feb-17 19:26:29

Perrie
Little mix
No bloody way. .

Creatureofthenight Thu 09-Feb-17 19:27:16

You have discussed it. It was a short discussion as he doesn't like that name. I'm with him tbh.

Jooni Thu 09-Feb-17 19:27:46

I quite like it in theory (for a boy only) but I do see his point and I'd imagine it's a very "love or hate" kind of a name. He's clearly in the "hate it" camp, so why even discuss it?

Perhaps if you have to compromise on a first name he likes, you could push for Peregrine in the middle? I think it's perfect middle name material - you can afford to go a bit further "out there" in the middle I think without embarrassing/inconveniencing the child!

picklemepopcorn Thu 09-Feb-17 19:28:06

There is no point pushing this kind of thing. You have loads of time to find something else.

It may grow on him as time goes on, but not if you push it!

user1486667116 Thu 09-Feb-17 19:28:20

I'm guessing we will be going the Olivia/Mathilda/Isabella/Eva route for girls. We both like all 4 of those.

PaddlingFuriously Thu 09-Feb-17 19:28:42

Reminds me of lord of the rings! Peregrine Took, aka Pippin.

likeacrow Thu 09-Feb-17 19:28:58

OP my DH and I had a similar conversation before I was even pregnant in which he vetoed my no1 girl's name choice: Cherry. I still think it's super cute but it's not to be sadly.

Floggingmolly Thu 09-Feb-17 19:28:59

It's a ridiculous name for anybody a girl. It sounds like a 1940's bank clerk with a hand knitted cardigan and a comb over. And you're being very, very previous; arguing about names before you're even pregnant.
Go to the pub and calm down.

Ohyesiam Thu 09-Feb-17 19:30:01

To me it sounds like a label not a name. I guess Peri is ok, but the full name will always be lurking in the background, waiting for the bullies to pounce.

likeacrow Thu 09-Feb-17 19:30:30

Don't let people tell you you're weird for having this convo before the event OP. I do shit like this all the time!

NerrSnerr Thu 09-Feb-17 19:30:34

With unusual names both partners have to be really on board. We are expecting and will veto names straight away if don't like them and then we won't suggest it again. To be honest my choices have changed from when I was ttc- I think once there's actually a real baby to name things change.

Batteriesallgone Thu 09-Feb-17 19:30:45

Two issues here:

1) he's been rude to you by saying it's 'stupid' which is unnecessary. He shouldnt be belittling you

2) he doesn't like it which is fair enough.

It's not about proving to him whether or not the name is stupid, that's totally subjective anyway. It's about asking him not to be rude to you and have a sensible discussion

user1486667116 Thu 09-Feb-17 19:32:43

@Floggingmolly we weren't arguing, we were having a chat when it came up.

ExpectoPatronummmm Thu 09-Feb-17 19:33:18

Sorry but Peregrine is a shocking name for a child.

Oly5 Thu 09-Feb-17 19:35:15

My DH also hated my first choice name and I just had to accept it. You wouldn't let him name the child something you hated would you?
For what it's worth, I think it's an awful name. Sorry

BobbieDog Thu 09-Feb-17 19:35:17

I ve never heard of this name.

You can choose a perfectly great name that everyone will of heard of but isnt very popular.

Names that were on my list which imo arent very popular were...

Rosanna
Savannah
Susannah
Kayla
Layla

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now