Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Family tree names

(33 Posts)
Choccyhobnob Thu 09-Feb-17 15:21:41

I've just been looking at dh's family tree, there are some great names in it! His Great Great Grandfather was apparently called Alban which isn't a name I've come across before, I think I'd use it as a middle name but not a first name. Have I lost my mind or is it ok?

There are also Adelaide, Nelly, Violet, Violetta and Binky! hehe

ItsThatBeverleyMacca Thu 09-Feb-17 15:33:11

I love family history! For women I have some cracking 19th century ones in mine - a Fanny, a Madge, and a Gladys. The men's names are more in line with names still commonly used today - several called Charles, and a few called Thomas or Edward.

ItsThatBeverleyMacca Thu 09-Feb-17 15:34:10

I love Alban BTW, and Adelaide and Violet from the girls in your list!

LarrytheCucumber Thu 09-Feb-17 15:40:03

We knew an Alban living in St Albans. Alban was the first Christian martyr in England. Great name.

Elbi Thu 09-Feb-17 15:40:09

Alban's on my list for a first name! Interested to see what people think of it... and any pronunciation issues. I'd pronounce it All-bn but I've heard it Al-bn and Ol-bn too.

Choccyhobnob Thu 09-Feb-17 15:40:42

There are a couple of Edwards, Josephs, Stanley, Abraham. And his Great, Great, Great, Great grandfather was called Felix apparently and his wife was Julia, going back to the 1700s!

Ordinarily Thu 09-Feb-17 16:19:03

I really like Alban as a name, as well as quite a few others on your family tree! I think Alban would go well as a middle name for Joseph, Felix or Stanley. Abraham Alban would be awkward to say, and Edward Alban would be too IMO (but less so).

Julia Violet would be nice, but I'm not so keen on the other girls names.

Jooni Thu 09-Feb-17 16:50:04

Alban is great! We're a family of Alans and Muriels, unfortunately...

Choccyhobnob Thu 09-Feb-17 16:58:34

Oh believe me Jooni there are some Alans, Richards and Dennises in there too lol

MiniMaxi Thu 09-Feb-17 17:02:31

Ooh fun, I love family trees

Alban is cool smile

Waterfeature Thu 09-Feb-17 17:08:22

Lovely! I'm a family tree addict. No Albans here, but lots of Richards, Tamsins, Marys and even:
Ebhorn!!
They liked it so much they used it over and over again!

Waterfeature Thu 09-Feb-17 17:09:59

Oh, and also Mahala. Crazy!

Pemba Thu 09-Feb-17 19:33:13

I found if you go back far enough nearly everyone on both sides was named Mary, John, or William, and I kind of imagined this would be the same for most people. Seems not to be the case though, obviously my ancestors just lacked imagination!

Elllicam Thu 09-Feb-17 19:36:37

I like Ebhorn grin. We were mostly traditional Scottish names but there were a few women called Christian which I quite liked.

Ordinarily Thu 09-Feb-17 19:38:53

Adam

(Mitochondrial) Eve

Chocolatecake12 Sat 11-Feb-17 20:44:59

We have a Herbert, Solomon and a Willoughby. All first names.
For girls it's Caroline, Rachel and Fanny.
Fanny was my great grandmothers name!

HoratioNightboy Sat 11-Feb-17 21:46:21

Alban is a fab name! Especially with a bit of family history behind it, so definitely OK to use.

My ancestors all have boring Lowland Scottish names - the males are all James, Andrew, Robert and Alexander and the females all Elizabeth, Jean, Christian and Isabel. I almost fainted when I came across a Barbara among them - it seemed so exotic!

Waterfeature Sat 11-Feb-17 22:06:09

I find the regional differences really fascinating.

There was a fashion for Old Testament names in one mining village where some of my ancestors lived. It was all Enoch and Obadiah!

I love the continuity in some family naming patterns. DH's grandfather was named after his own great-grandmother's maiden name! So yay for Alban!

Bellybootcut Sat 11-Feb-17 22:09:32

I have an early 19th centuary Mariah in mine. I like to think she was fabulous!

Waterfeature Sat 11-Feb-17 22:40:51

DH's family were well posh. Tons of servants for the ancestors -- one of whom rejoiced in the name "Euphemia Pinkerton".

Casz Sat 11-Feb-17 23:23:46

Mine followed naming rules for about 300 years. First son named after paternal grandfather, first daughter named after maternal grandmother etc.

Led to lots of cousins with the same name, and nearly all called William, John, James, Thomas, Ann, Elizabeth or Mary.

Bet Hephzibah and Kezia were glad their parents had a bit more imagination.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Sat 11-Feb-17 23:33:40

I have a great uncle Isleuin. I really like it.

WankersHacksandThieves Sun 12-Feb-17 00:34:03

Funny, I've just been looking at ours tonight but it's fairly boring. Lots of Peters, Williams, Georges, Alexanders, Roberts, James' and Johns on the male side and lots of Margarets, Isabellas, Elizabeths, Henriettas, Annes, Jeans and Janes...and one Barbara from 1852.

DHs tree adds a lot of Josephs.

amelie427 Sun 12-Feb-17 08:40:28

Fairfax appears a lot in ours - "Fairy" for short!

NoSeaSeagull Sun 12-Feb-17 12:23:53

Alban is a great name! William and Mary feature very heavily in both sides of my family tree, but interestingly Arkley seems to have been used on my paternal side for several generations, both as a first and middle name. My great great grandmother was an Adelaide (shortened to Ada) which I love and would consider using for any future dd's.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now