Talk

Advanced search

Too royal?

(19 Posts)
Notsure1234 Tue 07-Feb-17 15:25:19

I have an Edward and considering Sophie if dc2 is a girl. Does this automatically make you think of prince Edward and his wife? Dh doesn't think so but he doesn't know any of the royals names really beyond Will & Harry etc let alone thier partners!

We're all set for a boy but other suggestions for a girl welcome.

mum2be2boys Tue 07-Feb-17 15:40:50

It wouldn't have occurred to me until it was pointed out! I'd go for it, the royal connection wouldn't put me off at all.

RedSauce Tue 07-Feb-17 15:41:21

I also don't know any of the royals names really beyond Will & Harry etc let alone thier partners.

Also, Edward and Sophie are both traditional popular names so it's not like picking Sonny and Cher or something.

KlingybunFistelvase Tue 07-Feb-17 16:06:08

No it's fine.

pilates Tue 07-Feb-17 16:08:00

Edward and Sophie is fine, although I prefer Sophia.
How about Louisa or Rosa?

SumAndSubstance Tue 07-Feb-17 16:30:39

It's funny because when you said it in a Baby Names forum, I thought, Oh that's Prince Edward and his wife, but then I thought about it and realised that I actually know two siblings who are Edward and Sophie and it has never occurred to me before, so in 'real life' I didn't ever notice. Sophie is a lovely name, by the way.

katherine775 Tue 07-Feb-17 17:51:48

No. Not at all. I would with Charles, Elizabeth, Eugenie etc, but not Sophie. Lovely name smile

Sophronia Tue 07-Feb-17 17:52:16

It did make me think of them, but I think it's not a huge issue. They go well together.

10Betty10 Tue 07-Feb-17 18:42:45

I don't think many people would make the connection, definitely not their peers/younger relatives etc. Works fine. Like pilates I prefer Sophia to Sophie- feels more elegant and is nicer for when she's an adult.

Jooni Tue 07-Feb-17 18:46:02

No, would never have occurred to me. They're both lovely names and well used enough not to be associated with the royals.

Pemba Tue 07-Feb-17 18:58:52

Sophie is nicer than Sophia, which is all over the place at the moment. Even though I quite like Sophia, it just lacks something that the name Sophie possesses.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Tue 07-Feb-17 19:24:56

Doesn't make me think of the Royals.
Edward and Sophie sounds very nice.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Tue 07-Feb-17 19:28:42

No, Edward & Sophie would be fine.

William & Kate, Charles & Camilla, Charles & Diana etc. etc., I wouldn't but Edward & Sophie are OK. Similarly Andrew & Sarah would be fine.

Thatsnotmybabyname Tue 07-Feb-17 20:14:07

Edward and Sophie is a lovely, classic combination. Not too royal. smile

Notsure1234 Wed 08-Feb-17 15:30:23

Thank you for all the replies.

It seems dh was right and I was overthinking it, which is fab as Sophie is definitely the front runner so far grin

We also like Sophia but for some reason I don't think it fits as well with Edward. It's a lovely name though. Other names we're considering are Georgia and Polly

Pogolphin Thu 09-Feb-17 10:11:52

Not if your surname is Windsor! grin

AutumnRose1988 Thu 09-Feb-17 14:29:40

Yes it did me straight away but I watch a lot of royal stuff on the iplayer lol but Sophie much nicer than Georgia and Polly and goes lovely with Edward so I would go with it x

Scribblegirl Thu 09-Feb-17 14:31:12

My friend Kate is dating a guy called Will and it didn't strike me until a good few years into their relationship when I said 'Kate and Will' to my mum and she pointed it out grin

I don't think anyone would twig on Edward and Sophie, it's fine!

Elroya1 Thu 09-Feb-17 15:16:20

Shouldn't be bothered at all by the royalty names smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now