Talk

Advanced search

Twin boys!

(31 Posts)
BroadcastHouse Mon 06-Feb-17 03:03:58

We've short listed to the names Archer and Jack for twin boys. (LOTS of compromise going on to get down to these two! Early days... )
What do you think? Do they go nicely together?
If not - which name would you replace and with what? Thanks!

Nospringflower Mon 06-Feb-17 03:07:22

Sounds lovely!

PineapplePunch Mon 06-Feb-17 03:08:29

I would get rid of Jack. Common and quite boring I like Archer, it is unusual at the moment but I think will date easily.
I think they are very different.

Jack and Max
Jack and Leo
Jack and Thomas
Jack and George

Archer and Lincoln
Archer and Hunter
Archer and Sebastian
Archer and Silas

ScarlettFreestone Mon 06-Feb-17 03:39:59

Congratulations. We have twins.

Top tip, practice yelling the names together (you are going to be doing this a lot) are they easy to say? Do they run together (i.e. merge into one)

Do they sound nice individually with your surname - when they are adults it's likely most people won't know that they are twins, so they have to work separately.

Raines100 Mon 06-Feb-17 06:18:03

I really like both and think they go well together

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 06-Feb-17 06:35:42

Nice, I like them.

Pipilangstrumpf Mon 06-Feb-17 09:21:31

Archer is nice (but I don't like Archie)

Jack was THE number 1 most popular boys name for quite a few years that to my ears it sounds a little overused and tired.

But those I just my opinions smile

Madbengalmum Mon 06-Feb-17 10:07:24

Sorry, my neighbours dog is called Archer. Not for me.

goldenrachita Mon 06-Feb-17 10:45:00

Pineapple Punch is 100% correct and I can't really improve on her comment! I'd go with something like she put on her second list to be honest. Especially if they are identical. Being a twin you want your own strong identity and being yet another Jack doesn't give you that at all.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Mon 06-Feb-17 10:46:47

I think they sound great together !

InfinityPlusOne Mon 06-Feb-17 10:50:24

I don't have an issue with either name but to me they don't sound like they were chosen by the same parents. Jack is a nice 'normal' name in common use and Archer is much more unusual. I just wonder if when they are older one might not ask why he got the unusual name while the other one complains his name is too normal. I don't think they have to be matchy matchy but to me they seem like names from different families.

Thefishtankneedswater Mon 06-Feb-17 10:51:21

Blaze and Phoenix

Archer and Carter

Jack and James

Harrison and Archie

Cakingbad Mon 06-Feb-17 10:58:57

I really like Archer and Jack.

You probably don't care, but the recently abducted baby in the R4 soap is called Jack Archer but that will only be a thing for sad old radio addicts like me.

buttercup54321 Mon 06-Feb-17 22:11:36

Really don't like Archer, how about
Adam
Austin
Ambrose
Alexander
Aaron
Angus
Ashton

BroadcastHouse Tue 07-Feb-17 01:25:09

Thanks everyone. Interested in your points about having one plain and one unusual name. I know a few twins like this - eg. Clementine & Sarah and Alexandra & Sarah - and I always think, poor Sarah! So we might need to re-think that.
The names are a slightly different style, we're definitely struggling with compromise. My DH would ideally have Floyd and Rex and I would have Angus and Gilbert (Gus & Gilsmile). So we're trying to find a middle ground. Thanks for all the suggestions!

ScarlettFreestone Tue 07-Feb-17 01:39:11

Broadcast alliterative names aren't a great idea, they need to be different. Twins need their own distinct identities.

beautyandthebump Tue 07-Feb-17 02:14:17

What about Archer and Rex then? Rex is cool, is it also short for anything? (Just being nosey as haven't come across that one before.)

Jojo13 Tue 07-Feb-17 08:38:37

I really like Gil! Archer and Gil is nice..?!

17caterpillars1mouse Tue 07-Feb-17 08:55:49

I like Archer and Dominic

Dominic Jack is lovely

NapQueen Tue 07-Feb-17 08:59:01

Floyd and Rex are amazing+

BroadcastHouse Wed 15-Feb-17 05:56:42

I don't love Rex, that is DH's choice. Mainly not keen as there's no longer option. I agree Jack is a bit overdone but more classic and to my style. I DO like the Archer and Gil combo if I can get DH to agree thanks! Also like Dominic for a change, if you think it goes with Archer? Thanks for all the suggestions!
(Floyd is not happening. Are you paid by my husband?grin he's a huge Pink Floyd fan!)

SuperVeggie Wed 15-Feb-17 06:06:56

I agree with the comment about one being very common and the other being unusual. I would go for two names that are common enough that people have heard of them, but not so common that they are in the top 10 list. Like pp have said, twins are already being compared to each other so they don't also need to be the third jack or oliver or whatever in their class! So I would stick with Archer but not Jack.

Ideas:
Archer and Edwin
Archer and Owen
Archer and Isaac
Archer and Logan
Archer and Lucas
Archer and Mason
Archer and Morgan
Archer and Noah (I know this is more common now but I think they go together very nicely)
Archer and Reuben

I'm sorry but I'm really not a fan of Angus, Gilbert or Rex. I like the name Dominic but I don't think it goes with Archer - think you need to keep them both two syllable names.

meettherussians Wed 15-Feb-17 09:23:52

Love your names OP. Jack was insanely popular around 5-10 years ago but not hearing it much now and still a cute, snappy, cheeky name that goes well with Archer but sounds different enough.

meettherussians Wed 15-Feb-17 09:25:16

also must say Rex is awesome and both Jack and Rex and Archer and Rex sounds fab, let your DP have 1 OP!

Scattymere Wed 15-Feb-17 09:27:50

My vote goes to Rex and Dominic, both strong, classic, cheeky, unique names.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now