Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Penelope & violet on every thread?

(16 Posts)
Twinkletwinkle4 Sun 05-Feb-17 20:36:06

Just the above really, I was wondering if anyone else had noticed these two names on pretty much every post re girls name? Either everyone has the same taste or just hugely popular at the minute, each time I've clicked on girls names choices I see these on the same lists,
Both lovely options, I'm just wondering if these will date/very of the moment?

KlingybunFistelvase Sun 05-Feb-17 20:57:47

I do see them mentioned a lot on here but I actually haven't met any children / babies irl with either name! It might just be that the little babies with these names haven't made it to the groups I go to yet and we'll have a sudden influx in a few months! ATM it's still lots of Amelia, Oliver and Noah where I live.

GreatScot8 Sun 05-Feb-17 21:21:22

They're "in" names at the moment. Rapidly rising in popularity.

I don't think either will date, because they're not new names. In the same way that Sarah isn't outdated, despite its popularity. But I do think Penelopes and Violets might find themselves to be one of several in their year or in their school.

Having said that, the most popular name where I am still seems to be Ava.

Sophronia Sun 05-Feb-17 23:42:11

Yes, and Ivy as well. I think they will all date.

rollonthesummer Sun 05-Feb-17 23:45:07

I agree with Violet popping no up a lot recently but I've taught a few Penelopes over the years so that doesn't seem new to me.

lia66 Sun 05-Feb-17 23:47:29

My youngest is 6 in April. She is Penny after my late mum. I've never met another child Penny.

EggsEleven Mon 06-Feb-17 16:48:27

MN seems to go through fads where people suggest the same names over and over. It's Ivy, Penelope and Violet at the moment but it will be something else in a few months. I think it can make it seem like these names are really popular but I've never met any in RL.

raviolidreaming Mon 06-Feb-17 17:12:54

MN seems to go through fads where people suggest the same names over and over. It's Ivy, Penelope and Violet at the moment

At least Clara is getting a bit of a break!

EggsEleven Mon 06-Feb-17 18:24:24

Ha yes, it was Clara last month grin

MiniMaxi Mon 06-Feb-17 20:08:17

And Araminta a few months ago! grin

Twinkletwinkle4 Mon 06-Feb-17 20:35:21

Clara yes! Araminta?! definitely not seen that one haha

MiniMaxi Mon 06-Feb-17 23:06:25

Oh yes "nn Minty" grin

GreatScot8 Tue 07-Feb-17 00:47:36

Minty is so bloody awful. I'd be mortified if my parents called me that, even just as a nickname.

SatsukiKusakabe Tue 07-Feb-17 16:43:02

Never met any Violets. It is a family name for me, have considered it as a middle.

I do know a couple of Ivy's in real life but no Penelope's.

SatsukiKusakabe Tue 07-Feb-17 16:44:56

I did consider Clara when pregnant with dd but was it on here a lot then and I think I got fatigued with it! Know none irl though and would consider it again.

It's probably all the same posters with the same lists!

SatsukiKusakabe Tue 07-Feb-17 16:45:59

Also - should have put this all in one post sorry - Some names, like Astrid, I know 3 little ones with it but never see them suggested.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now