Talk

Advanced search

What do you think of Todd?

(57 Posts)
CaipirinhasAllRound Sat 04-Feb-17 18:50:51

No idea if we're having a boy or girl but struggling with boys names.
What do you think of the name Todd? Have a one syllable surname but think it sounds ok

Arcadia Sat 04-Feb-17 18:51:59

Doesn't really seem like a name for a baby ... but one of the loveliest men I know is called Todd!

KlingybunFistelvase Sat 04-Feb-17 18:52:47

I'm not terribly keen on the sound of it personally, but it's a perfectly nice name. I wouldn't think much of it if I meant one iyswim.

Garnethair Sat 04-Feb-17 18:53:06

Is a fox's name

shaggedthruahedgebackwards Sat 04-Feb-17 18:55:44

I've only come across it as a surname but realise it can also be a first name

I'm not keen to be honest although I don't hate it

There are so many other nicer sounding single syllable names if that is what you're looking for

CaipirinhasAllRound Sat 04-Feb-17 18:56:05

People aren't babies for long though are they

Why fox?

CaipirinhasAllRound Sat 04-Feb-17 18:57:13

Not looking for a single syllable name, just a name we agree on! We have a son already and are really struggling to find another boys name we like as much
Our son is Johnny

Maverickismywingman Sat 04-Feb-17 18:59:21

Todd was the name of the fox in cartoon The Fox and the Hound.

I like Todd.

Keepingupwiththejonesys Sat 04-Feb-17 18:59:29

I really like it, don't hear it often at all but definitely a 'proper' name. There's a character on breaking bad called Todd.

GreatScot8 Sat 04-Feb-17 19:00:39

I've never heard of a non-American having the name Todd. It seems like the quintessential American name.

Normally, that doesn't bother me, but I don't like Todd at all.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Sat 04-Feb-17 19:14:13

Sorry OP, but Rabbit todds. ☹️

TheDowagerCuntess Sat 04-Feb-17 19:17:15

It's very American to me too, though that's not necessarily a bad thing.

It's fine, is about the best I can say about it. Loads of nicer boys' names out there.

HolisticAssassin Sat 04-Feb-17 19:31:53

I am going to have to high-five you OP

Scrubs reference, The Todd makes me laugh every time

TheHiphopopotamus Sat 04-Feb-17 19:43:38

Showing my age, but the only Todd's that I can think of are Elizabeth Wakefield's boyfriend in Sweet Valley High and Todd off Neighbours.

I don't like it, to be honest. It sounds like it should be short for something but it's not. Like Toddle or Toddler (which aren't names, obviously).

thenewaveragebear1983 Sat 04-Feb-17 19:47:20

I like it, it was one of the names I wanted for my ds but dh vetoed. It would have suited him.

HolisticAssassin Sat 04-Feb-17 19:49:24

^ showing my age even more I present you with one Todd Carty! (Tucker/Mark Fowler/Gabriel)
m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=npLLjvyKnzM

ElsieBobo Sat 04-Feb-17 19:53:01

To me Todd sounds like the jock in a cheesy 80s American High School movie...

HolisticAssassin Sat 04-Feb-17 19:55:54

^ m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=k_AzCm8Vass

EmmaWoodlouse Sat 04-Feb-17 20:00:23

It's not one of my favourites but it's not awful and I think it would grow on me if I knew a nice person with that name.

What's more of an issue to me is that fact that you already have a Johnny, and there's an old folk song called Johnny Todd - I don't know how many people will have heard of it nowadays, but you might have to be prepared for a few jokey comments, especially from older people.

JaimeLannister Sat 04-Feb-17 20:01:59

It makes me of the Fox and the Hound and I really like it.

Ankleswingers Sat 04-Feb-17 20:05:15

I think of Peter Rabbit and Mr Todd the fox.

Very American too and I also think of Todd from Coronation Street who's character is a conniving twat.

On the fence really as I can think of worse names.

WindwardCircle Sat 04-Feb-17 20:08:04

Sweeny Todd is the first thing I think of, but DD is in an amateur production of the musical and walks around the house singing "attend the tale of Sweeny Todd..." endlessly at the moment, I don't know how many people in general would make that connection.

Bananalanacake Sat 04-Feb-17 20:08:18

I have a relative with that name, he was named after a service station.

itssquidstella Sat 04-Feb-17 20:13:55

When I was 11 and liked Sweet Valley High, I thought it was an awesome name. Now the only Todd I know is a middle-aged Scottish man!

Tod is the old English word for fox, btw, hence the character's name in the Disney film.

It's a bit blah.

y0rkier0se Sat 04-Feb-17 20:39:38

We have an English Springer Spaniel called Todd so it's a dogs name for me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now