Talk

Advanced search

What do you think of Todd?

(57 Posts)
CaipirinhasAllRound Sat 04-Feb-17 18:50:51

No idea if we're having a boy or girl but struggling with boys names.
What do you think of the name Todd? Have a one syllable surname but think it sounds ok

Arcadia Sat 04-Feb-17 18:51:59

Doesn't really seem like a name for a baby ... but one of the loveliest men I know is called Todd!

KlingybunFistelvase Sat 04-Feb-17 18:52:47

I'm not terribly keen on the sound of it personally, but it's a perfectly nice name. I wouldn't think much of it if I meant one iyswim.

Garnethair Sat 04-Feb-17 18:53:06

Is a fox's name

shaggedthruahedgebackwards Sat 04-Feb-17 18:55:44

I've only come across it as a surname but realise it can also be a first name

I'm not keen to be honest although I don't hate it

There are so many other nicer sounding single syllable names if that is what you're looking for

CaipirinhasAllRound Sat 04-Feb-17 18:56:05

People aren't babies for long though are they

Why fox?

CaipirinhasAllRound Sat 04-Feb-17 18:57:13

Not looking for a single syllable name, just a name we agree on! We have a son already and are really struggling to find another boys name we like as much
Our son is Johnny

Maverickismywingman Sat 04-Feb-17 18:59:21

Todd was the name of the fox in cartoon The Fox and the Hound.

I like Todd.

Keepingupwiththejonesys Sat 04-Feb-17 18:59:29

I really like it, don't hear it often at all but definitely a 'proper' name. There's a character on breaking bad called Todd.

GreatScot8 Sat 04-Feb-17 19:00:39

I've never heard of a non-American having the name Todd. It seems like the quintessential American name.

Normally, that doesn't bother me, but I don't like Todd at all.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Sat 04-Feb-17 19:14:13

Sorry OP, but Rabbit todds. ☹️

TheDowagerCuntess Sat 04-Feb-17 19:17:15

It's very American to me too, though that's not necessarily a bad thing.

It's fine, is about the best I can say about it. Loads of nicer boys' names out there.

HolisticAssassin Sat 04-Feb-17 19:31:53

I am going to have to high-five you OP

Scrubs reference, The Todd makes me laugh every time

TheHiphopopotamus Sat 04-Feb-17 19:43:38

Showing my age, but the only Todd's that I can think of are Elizabeth Wakefield's boyfriend in Sweet Valley High and Todd off Neighbours.

I don't like it, to be honest. It sounds like it should be short for something but it's not. Like Toddle or Toddler (which aren't names, obviously).

thenewaveragebear1983 Sat 04-Feb-17 19:47:20

I like it, it was one of the names I wanted for my ds but dh vetoed. It would have suited him.

HolisticAssassin Sat 04-Feb-17 19:49:24

^ showing my age even more I present you with one Todd Carty! (Tucker/Mark Fowler/Gabriel)
m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=npLLjvyKnzM

ElsieBobo Sat 04-Feb-17 19:53:01

To me Todd sounds like the jock in a cheesy 80s American High School movie...

HolisticAssassin Sat 04-Feb-17 19:55:54

^ m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=k_AzCm8Vass

EmmaWoodlouse Sat 04-Feb-17 20:00:23

It's not one of my favourites but it's not awful and I think it would grow on me if I knew a nice person with that name.

What's more of an issue to me is that fact that you already have a Johnny, and there's an old folk song called Johnny Todd - I don't know how many people will have heard of it nowadays, but you might have to be prepared for a few jokey comments, especially from older people.

JaimeLannister Sat 04-Feb-17 20:01:59

It makes me of the Fox and the Hound and I really like it.

Ankleswingers Sat 04-Feb-17 20:05:15

I think of Peter Rabbit and Mr Todd the fox.

Very American too and I also think of Todd from Coronation Street who's character is a conniving twat.

On the fence really as I can think of worse names.

WindwardCircle Sat 04-Feb-17 20:08:04

Sweeny Todd is the first thing I think of, but DD is in an amateur production of the musical and walks around the house singing "attend the tale of Sweeny Todd..." endlessly at the moment, I don't know how many people in general would make that connection.

Bananalanacake Sat 04-Feb-17 20:08:18

I have a relative with that name, he was named after a service station.

itssquidstella Sat 04-Feb-17 20:13:55

When I was 11 and liked Sweet Valley High, I thought it was an awesome name. Now the only Todd I know is a middle-aged Scottish man!

Tod is the old English word for fox, btw, hence the character's name in the Disney film.

It's a bit blah.

y0rkier0se Sat 04-Feb-17 20:39:38

We have an English Springer Spaniel called Todd so it's a dogs name for me

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: