Talk

Advanced search

Final two (or three or maybe just two!)

(18 Posts)
babyblabber Fri 03-Feb-17 16:34:43

So baby is being evicted via section next week. We've had boy's name sorted from the start but it has taken until now to get even a shortlist for girls.

I tend to avoid names that will inevitably be shortened so the other DC don't really have nicknames and I've ruled out names I love just coz I can't stand the shortened versions. Our two DDs have very feminine names which I love so I'd like the same if this is a girl. My ideal is girly, short and not too common.

So the list is:
Lila
Penelope
Halle

I love Lila, ticks all my boxes.
DH likes Halle but I'm not sure. A bit like Holly which I hate. And Ali which is meh.

We both like Penelope and as nicknames go I can live with Penny but I'd like to avoid nicknames for as long as possible and Penelope is so long I doubt this is possible. Have read on hear that Poppy is a nickname for Penelope. Seems like a stretch but I do love Poppy, although not enough to use as a stand alone name.

So thought? Advice? Favourite? I think I'm hoping DH will cave and agree to Lila!

Sophronia Fri 03-Feb-17 17:21:28

Would you pronounce Lila like ly-la or lee-la? I like it the first way but not the second.

babyblabber Fri 03-Feb-17 17:32:16

First way. Like lilac without the c

TDmoocher Fri 03-Feb-17 17:33:45

Lila is my favourite (ly-la)

Lola is similar and perhaps in a similar vibe to Halle.

smilingsarahb Fri 03-Feb-17 17:38:36

I really like Lila, Halle is ok (is it like Halle Berry) I really like Penelope but think she'll get called penny and pen

Sugarpiehoneyeye Fri 03-Feb-17 18:06:28

Definitely Lila.
Lila Penelope is very nice.

SleepyRoo Fri 03-Feb-17 18:14:49

I like Halle. Penelope will always be Penny. Lila sounds unpleasant when spoken, and she'll just be one of the zillion Liliies Lolas and Lulus

KlingybunFistelvase Fri 03-Feb-17 19:32:26

Penelope by a million miles for me.

TheMasterNotMargarita Fri 03-Feb-17 19:33:10

Halle.
Was on our girls list.

everythingis Fri 03-Feb-17 19:33:47

Penelope all the way. I've been watching Big Bang theory

ApplesOranges Fri 03-Feb-17 19:51:08

I love penelope and penny is nice

mistermagpie Fri 03-Feb-17 19:53:50

Stay away from Penelope if you want to avoid a shortening. My niece is called Penelope, her parents didn't want it shortening, but practically everyone just calls her Penny.

NoncommittalToSparkleMotion Fri 03-Feb-17 19:54:45

Lila

ApocalypseNowt Fri 03-Feb-17 20:45:11

I love the name Penelope but it's pretty much guaranteed to get shortened.

I know two.....one is a Penny and the other a Nell.

GreatScot8 Fri 03-Feb-17 20:56:02

I do think it's likely that Penelope will automatically be shortened to Penny.

I don't like Halle. It reminds of Halle Berry or the comet.

I like Lila a lot. I was also going to suggest Lila Penelope, as a PP did.

Jojo13 Sat 04-Feb-17 10:48:18

Love Penelope and as it would inevitably get shortened I would try for Nell or Nelly as the short version (as I don't like penny either!)

CakeRattleandRoll Sat 04-Feb-17 12:42:31

Really like Penelope.

n0ne Sat 04-Feb-17 13:31:13

I like Lila but love Penelope. She wouldn't have to be Penny, there's also Poppy as you mentioned, Nell and Nellie. I love Nell!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now