Talk

Advanced search

Pip Henry or Sidney Thomas?

(42 Posts)
RaRa25 Thu 02-Feb-17 14:03:03

That's it really, which name do you prefer?
Really been struggling with boys names but I have always loved Pip, I know most people will not like it though.
So....
Pip Henry Rae
Or
Sidney Thomas Rae

buckyou Thu 02-Feb-17 14:07:28

I love the name pip. I used to have a pony called it, spent ages trying to think of a name I liked for a girl that could have a NN pip. But I'm having a boy.

Anyway I like then both but think they are both a bit girlie??

fleurdelacourt Thu 02-Feb-17 14:15:14

Pip is sweet for a little boy - but he might now like it when he's older?

Dickens's Pip was Philip - would give him some choices when he was older?

Raines100 Thu 02-Feb-17 14:29:14

Don't like Sidney. It's an old man's name.

Pip is great, but I'd put Philip on the BC. Pip feels more 'nickname-y' than Tom or Joe somehow, and there's the 'pipsqueak' thing. That wouldn't put me off the name, but I would want him to have the option of the full version at secondary school and beyond.

Thomas and Henry are both lovely.

Rae- have seen this spelling used more commonly for girls, although I believe it is unisex. Is it a family name?

ThaliaLuxurySpa Thu 02-Feb-17 14:43:57

Ooh, I do like Pip for a boy! So my vote's for Pip Henry Rae.

I know a 9 yr old Phineas, whose NN is always Pip...he's never Finn (Phin?).

His parents wanted to give him the option of a more formal BC name, but disliked Phillip. So perhaps that might be an alternative for you?

RaRa25 Thu 02-Feb-17 15:41:00

Raines Rae is our surname. I wouldn't normally put my surname on here but as it is very short, lots of names don't go with it. I wanted people to see the full flow of the whole name to see if it goes.

Yes I know what you mean about using a Phillip on the birth certificate but I really don't like it.
Thalia Phineas (great name) my nephew is Finlay, so a bit too close I think and he gets that as a NN!
Fleur my inspiration for the name Pip is from Great Expectations and fell in love with the name.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 02-Feb-17 15:42:23

Love Pip.

Strongly dislike Sidney.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 02-Feb-17 15:46:53

Although after seeing your last post I think Pip Rae is too short a name. It needs more syllables imo.,

MrsEricBana Thu 02-Feb-17 15:53:36

I tend to agree that Pip Rae or Sid Rae just too brief. Agree needs more syllables e.g. Charlie Rae.

KlingybunFistelvase Thu 02-Feb-17 15:54:39

Pip Rae is a bit short maybe. How about Phillip as pp suggested? It is a bit more grown up as well which is nice if he decides he doesn't like Pip (I do, but imagine it could be a little harder to pull off as an adult maybe).

I do like Sidney too though.

Pipilangstrumpf Thu 02-Feb-17 16:24:03

I much prefer Sidney, great classic strong name! Nickname Sid is so cool.

I don't like Pip at all, sorry, it sounds like Pippi (wee in many languages) or an apple pip... basically a silly sounding name imo. How about Philip?

Sugarpiehoneyeye Thu 02-Feb-17 16:35:02

How about Perigrine Henry Rae (Pip).

harderandharder2breathe Thu 02-Feb-17 16:58:12

Philip Henry Rae

Sophronia Thu 02-Feb-17 17:52:52

I only like Pip if short for Philip, so Sidney gets my vote.

Jooni Thu 02-Feb-17 17:54:44

I love Pip! I'm a fan of nicknamey names and it's on the cutesy side even for me, but I do really like it. How about Pippin or Peregrin(e) as a long form if you wanted one for the BC?

Idratherhaveacupoftea Thu 02-Feb-17 18:00:06

Yes it's cute for a small boy, but awful for a grown man. My cousin was a Philip, Pip when he was small. But asked to be Phil as he got to be a teenager as he thought it was far too young for him. Also Pip Rae, kids will probably call him Pip, Pip, HooRae

RaRa25 Thu 02-Feb-17 18:20:47

Pip, pip, HooRae!!! Didn't think of that confused
Back to the drawing board...
anyone have any suggestions which will go with Rae??

Sugarpiehoneyeye Thu 02-Feb-17 19:17:29

Thomas Henry Rae is very nice.

ScarletSienna Thu 02-Feb-17 19:57:42

Thomas Henry Rae is really nice, I agree!

Badgoushk Thu 02-Feb-17 20:10:24

Sting?

GreatScot8 Thu 02-Feb-17 20:45:11

Sidney Thomas.

I love Sid.

Pip is odd for a man, IMO. I've only heard it for women (short for Philippa or Pippa). Pip Rae is too short too, as a full name.

GreatScot8 Thu 02-Feb-17 20:45:41

What about Stanley? It seems to line up well with the style of your two choices.

Raines100 Thu 02-Feb-17 21:30:50

Rae is our surname.

Oh. Yeah, well I'd keep that one, then blush

crapfatbanana Thu 02-Feb-17 21:52:30

I actually quite like both, but they don't go great with your surname.
These both work (for me):
Henry Rae
Thomas Rae

Maybe they aren't as cool or uncommon as Pip or Sidney though.
Other random suggestions:

Perran or Piran Rae
Otis Rae
Stefan Rae
Finlay Rae
Simon Rae

NoncommittalToSparkleMotion Thu 02-Feb-17 21:58:30

Sidney Thomas Are sounds badass

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now