Talk

Advanced search

Too similar?

(16 Posts)
MalibuSeafood Thu 02-Feb-17 13:55:09

Our DD is Romilly, a name we both loved from early on in the pregnancy. NN 'Rom'/'Romy' rather than Milly.

We are expecting again and love the name Emmeline (NN Emmy). Does this sound too similar to Romilly? I'm torn!

AntiHop Thu 02-Feb-17 13:56:47

I don't think they're too similar. I love Emmeline!

KlingybunFistelvase Thu 02-Feb-17 14:02:32

Both gorgeous names! I don't think they're too similar... it might depend on accent though. Try yelling "Emmeline" up the stairs and see if Romilly answers? grin.

If she does then too similar...

Treewall Thu 02-Feb-17 14:09:08

I think they are very similar when you say them out loud, but if you mainly use the nicknames it might be ok? It's the "Mill" sound that might be an issue but as a pp said it may come down to accents.
They are both beautiful names.
I know of a local family who have an Emily and a Millie which makes me confused every time I hear!

MalibuSeafood Thu 02-Feb-17 14:23:16

Thanks all for the feedback. I like the shouting up their stairs idea!

I agree it is the 'mill' sound which makes them similar. With DD the name instantly struck us and this time Emmeline has too - however, maybe because it is similar to Romilly, which we obviously love!

NavyandWhite Thu 02-Feb-17 14:24:51

Too similar yes. What about Harriet or Eleanor?

Laylajoh Thu 02-Feb-17 14:32:15

I find little similarity, apart from their NN ending in Y.

MalibuSeafood Thu 02-Feb-17 14:39:30

I think it may be dependent on accent as PP noted. They don't particularly similar when I or DH say it, I just note there is the 'mil'/'mel' similarity.

SquedgieBeckenheim Thu 02-Feb-17 14:44:36

Yes Romy and Emmy are very similar.
But Emmeline and Romilly aren't too similar

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Thu 02-Feb-17 14:55:10

Yes, too similar for me I'm afraid.

Do you like Emma if you were thinking of using Emmy as a nn anyway?

Romilly & Emma sound fine together.

How about Emelia? DD has an Emelia in her class at school who is only known as Emmy. Maybe it's just my accent but Romilly and Emelia sound farther apart than Romilly and Emmeline when I say them!

DramaAlpaca Thu 02-Feb-17 16:20:48

I don't find them too similar at all, either the full names or the nicknames.

Both lovely names and I think they go well together.

MelOrSue Thu 02-Feb-17 16:23:35

I think it's fine. Don't lots of people put a 'Y' sound at the end of a name or NN when speaking to kids eg Jakey, Petey or Johnny

superking Thu 02-Feb-17 16:25:41

I think it's fine. Both lovely names. Incidentally, I'm sure there was a thread on here recently where someone was deciding between Romilly and Emmeline.

Mum8 Thu 02-Feb-17 16:30:02

How about Evelyn instead? Still similar ending but without the m sound.

harderandharder2breathe Thu 02-Feb-17 16:59:53

I think they're both lovely and not too similar at all

Jooni Thu 02-Feb-17 18:09:12

I see where you're coming from, since they have the same rhythm and a lot of the same sounds in the same places, but I think it's fine. They're very distinct names to me despite sounding similar if that makes sense - not like Maisy and Daisy or Juliana and Liliana or something which I think of as being under the same umbrella of names.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now