Talk

Advanced search

Boys names help

(23 Posts)
Barnes79 Wed 01-Feb-17 18:33:21

My DH and I are looking at possible boys names for our first DS. My sister already has 3 boys (so James, William, Isaac, Luca, Peter and Conrad are all not options) and we like classic names, but want ones which aren't neither too popular or too 'fancy schmancy' or 'chavvy' (no offence to anyone). This is obviously difficult as classic names are classics for a reason - everyone likes them and uses them!

My fav was Sebastian (nn Seb) but our surname is Barnes and I didn't think it worked due to the double 'b' - Se*b B*arnes.

Our list, to give some idea of our taste is below, but none of them really jump out as real possibilities. We both like the idea of names where they could have a nn so have options as they get older:

Oliver
Benjamin
Benedict
Sebastian
Samuel
Finlay
Charles

Any suggestions? confused

Chocolatecake12 Wed 01-Feb-17 18:40:03

Love Oliver and Benjamin- both nn are cool too for when they're older.
Jacob
Joshua
Timothy
Thomas
Andrew
Christian
Zachary
Matthew

Sugarpiehoneyeye Wed 01-Feb-17 18:44:55

Benedict (Ned).
Benjamin (Ben).
Oliver (Ollie).
Samuel (Sam).

Joseph (Joe/Joss).
Daniel (Dan/by).
Nicholas (Nick).
Matthew (Matt).

Sugarpiehoneyeye Wed 01-Feb-17 18:45:27

* Danny.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 01-Feb-17 18:46:33

Alexander
Thomas
Dominic

Nanananananagigglebiz Wed 01-Feb-17 18:50:44

Matthew

Barnes79 Wed 01-Feb-17 19:02:44

Friends have got babies / children called Thomas and Daniel. Not such a fan of Andrew - it feels a bit dated as loads of men my age are called it (plus knew one who was a bit of an arse blush)

junebirthdaygirl Wed 01-Feb-17 19:08:30

Think Jonathan Barnes sounds good or Nicolas Barnes, Edward, Simon, Luke, Hugh

Angelto5 Wed 01-Feb-17 19:17:00

Michael ?

Pipilangstrumpf Wed 01-Feb-17 19:36:39

All of your suggestions with the exception of Sebastian are very common, which you said you'd like to avoid. I know so so many little Olivers, Finns, Bens and Charlies....

Sebastian doesn't really go with your surname I agree.

How about
Reuben
Patrick
Quentin
Marcus

mum2be2boys Wed 01-Feb-17 21:23:55

We have a very similar taste in names! Most of the names on your list are also on our shortlist :-)

From your list my favourites are Oliver, Benjamin and Samuel.

Other suggestions are Matthew, Jacob, Daniel, Zachary, Alexander, Oscar, Nathaniel, Vincent

thebakerwithboobs Wed 01-Feb-17 21:32:05

We have six sons and three of their names are on your list! The others are Dashiel (my pa's name but a great alternative to Daniel if you can't use that-pronounced the same just with a sh and Dash is a pretty cool nn), Alexander and Jacob. Am also a fan of Joseph or Jonah and Thomas (Tom).

Awwlookatmybabyspider Thu 02-Feb-17 00:44:33

Well if you don't want anything popular. I wouldn't use Oliver.

CocoLoco87 Thu 02-Feb-17 00:53:59

I love Oliver and Benjamin. Olly Barnes / Ben Barnes. Both sound lovely. Olly is probably slightly more my favourite

BlueChampagne Thu 02-Feb-17 12:58:02

Anthony
Christopher (Kit)
Alasdair

BlueChampagne Thu 02-Feb-17 12:58:17

Laurence

sez1234 Thu 02-Feb-17 13:16:45

We have the same surname and the same problem. 😊

Barnes79 Thu 02-Feb-17 17:30:32

Sez - I'm almost trying to convince myself Seb Barnes works blush

sez1234 Thu 02-Feb-17 18:00:16

I think it actually sounds rather cool. I really like Sebastian, Unfortunately my DH doesn't. sad.
We like George and I like William but I really want a middle name so that's where were struggling and not agreeing grin

piginboots Thu 02-Feb-17 18:13:36

I think Seb sounds fine with you surname.

If "Se" or "arnes" were words/names then it might be confusing and end up getting misheard but given that they're not I think you're ok.

(Hope the above made sense..)

thebakerwithboobs Thu 02-Feb-17 18:26:34

What piginboots said. We have a Jacob Baker and it's caused zero problems. I did go to school with a George Ames and spent many years thinking he was called Jaw James but that's because I am a bit thick they are legitimate words. Sebastian Barnes is lovely-and you don't actually have to shorten it when you're using his surname? It's lovely.

user1459464195 Thu 02-Feb-17 19:29:00

Suggestions:

Alexander (Alex/Alec/Xander)
Christopher (Chris/Kit)
Lawrence (Ren/Laurie/Enzo)
Anthony (Ant/Tony)
Timothy (Tim/Timmy/Moth)
Matthew (Matt/Matty)

228agreenend Thu 02-Feb-17 19:38:35

William
Samuel
Charles
Alexander
Daniel
Joseph
Jacob
Josiah
Frederick
Christopher
Matthew
Michael
Jonathen
Alistair
Logan
Douglas
Edward
Peter
Patrick
Stephen
Philip

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now