Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Naming baby after dad

(17 Posts)
user1483700965 Mon 30-Jan-17 09:29:38

Hi just wondering if anyone has been in similar situation. When I found out I was pregnant I really wanted to name the baby something after my dad who passed away two years ago. Have found the perfect name that enables me to do this - despite my name being something else my dad called me Nin from the time I was a few months old up until he passed he was the only one in the family to do this and even cards and wedding gifts would be addressed to his Nin so we have thought of Nina and then she can forever be my Nin - I love it and so does husband not many babies are being called Nina at the moment and we quite like that too. But for anyone who has lost a parent you will know that two years ago seems like yesterday still at this point and I'm wondering if in ten years I will think differently? I guess I'm asking for some reassurance from someone who has named a child after loved one and can tell me it will still make me smile not sad in ten years?! X

2014newme Mon 30-Jan-17 09:35:24

Nina is a lovely name
Nin was your dad's petname for you I would not personally be trying to replicate that through my own child's name. Let her be nina inspired by your dad but I wouldn't be doing the whole Nin thing.

Ordinarily Mon 30-Jan-17 09:46:50

How about using Nina as middle name? You could still use the nickname Nin if you wanted.

Moo31 Mon 30-Jan-17 13:29:38

I think that's a lovely idea but as suggested by ordinarily above maybe consider using Nina for a middle name? We're ttc at the minute and (very ahead of ourselves I know!) we have picked middle names which are my oh late father's name (Stephen) and my late auntie and nanny (Beth - were both called Elizabeth). But Nina is a lovely name - I know of a Nina born last year.

WhatsForDinnerMummy Mon 30-Jan-17 13:31:48

My dad passed 10 years ago - believe me when I say you will never regret calling your child that. Pretty name too
One day if I'm blessed with a son - my child's middle name will be my dads name - I'm not brave enough to have it as a first name 'Baby Dave' just doesn't have a ring to it lol.

DramaAlpaca Mon 30-Jan-17 13:40:18

You both love Nina and it has great meaning for you, so I think you should go for it. It's a very pretty name.

SasBel Mon 30-Jan-17 13:44:40

Lovely name. I pre empted a bit, and we gave our son FIL name as a middle name (it is a fab name though)! after he was born FIL was diagnosed with cancer. FIL was really pleased, and I have not regretted it at all.

ChocoChou Mon 30-Jan-17 14:02:46

Nina is a beautiful name and there is a beautiful reasoning behind it. It's on my shortlist if we are ever lucky enough to have a girl
So sorry for your loss OP

Annabel11 Mon 30-Jan-17 14:07:22

I love Nina and I don't think you will feel any negative emotions in due time. I am a firm believer that we are part of our parents so much as our children are part of them too. In that line of thought, you father still lives through your daughter and there is nothing wrong in remembering him through her name. Just my thoughts (:

originalmavis Mon 30-Jan-17 14:08:14

Whatever could be wrong there? DS is named after my late dad and it still makes me smile when he gets addressed by his name and my maiden name. Dad died 16 years ago.

katiegg Mon 30-Jan-17 14:10:54

Nina is a lovely name, sorry for your loss. I don't think you will ever regret giving your child a significant name. - and it'll be a lovely story to tell her.

TataEs Mon 30-Jan-17 16:26:17

lovely name. personal meaning. u may or may not end up calling her nin. either way i think it'll always make u smile.
my boys are named after their great grandads, one of whom passed before the boys were born. no regrets.

SickNotes Mon 30-Jan-17 16:30:43

But you're not naming a child after a loved one (which I think is a terrible idea in general), you're giving her a name which reminds you of a petname your father had for you, which is quite a different thing, and a far better idea, I think. Nina is so different to 'Nin' in pronunciation that I tend to think the connection will remain a private thing, and that 'Nina' will just become your daughter's name, rather than something you think about daily as a refleciton of your father - whereas if you were having a son and were planning to give him your father's name, I think that might feel different in ten years. I say go for it.

kookiecookie3 Mon 30-Jan-17 16:57:36

I think it's lovely, I am in a similar situation, I have recently found out I'm pregnant with my third, my lmp being on the day we buried my mum. I am hoping for a girl so that I can use her name but we are undecided whether it will be the first name or the middle name, as it is quite a tricky middle name, doesn't really go with much! So we might give it as the first name but the baby will go by its middle name. If it's a boy I still want to use it as a middle name, as in my heart I know it's her that has sent this little one to us now. (We needed help with the other two, this one came without trying!!)

GreatScot8 Mon 30-Jan-17 19:25:04

Nina is truly gorgeous.

My dad passed away 21 years ago, and I plan on naming my DC after him. 21 years on, I think about how much the world has changed and how many things he never experienced, but I don't think you ever stop missing someone as much as you did when it just happened. Your missing of them just changes in nature, and every year that whips by makes you think how crazy it is that they've been gone for X years.

You're sure to never regret the name you've chosen if it's in memory of him. smile

Kelsey28 Mon 30-Jan-17 19:48:22

I think this is lovely as it not so obvious that she will have the pressure of living under the shadow of someone. I am planning to give DD my granddad's surname as her middle name as it is a very pretty girl's name and pays tribute to him and my nanny without being too obvious.

BingThing Tue 31-Jan-17 23:20:30

My ds1 has my dad's name as a middle name - he passed away 12 years ago and my ds1 is 7. I don't regret it and never will its a lovely way for his memory to live on i think - esp as my children will never know him but it gives them a connection to him in a way. I think it's personal choice whether first or middle name but either way i dont think you'd ever regret it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: