Talk

Advanced search

Is Dylan really a 'naughty boy name'?

(46 Posts)
Keysss Thu 26-Jan-17 16:23:46

Hi,

Had our son last week, decided on Dylan, had a quick Google and came across a couple of threads on here; had a read and some describe it as a 'naughty boy name'? Will his teachers really judge him? sad if so, we will go with our 2nd choice.

TIA

ProudBadMum Thu 26-Jan-17 16:25:06

No

It's a name. The name doesn't change the personality of a child.

But on MN they will say yes and tell you so is Kyle or any other K name

Kids will be shitheads if that's their nature/personality no matter what you name them.

SickNotes Thu 26-Jan-17 16:28:25

By 'naughty boy name', a certain subset of Mn seems to mean 'any name we associate with the working classes and/or Irish boys' names - relationship probably not accidental.' Or 'I am a teacher and I have taught four naughty Dylans, so it must be true.'

OP, I would not pick a name according to someone else's unexamined class prejudices.

justdontevenfuckingstart Thu 26-Jan-17 16:29:46

Of course nobody will judge him. It's a lovely name.

indigo13 Thu 26-Jan-17 16:29:48

Whats your second choice?

ProudBadMum Thu 26-Jan-17 16:31:13

Remember no one on mn will know your child so don't pick a name based on inyernets strangers.

Go with your choice

Bringbacksummer Thu 26-Jan-17 16:31:18

I don't think it is tbh. I always thought it was as it was when I was younger in the schools I went to but I think it was just one of those strange coincidences. I certainly wouldn't he put off a name by these so called associations. I can't see how the name you give your child could impact their behaviour but I know others disagree.

queenc81 Thu 26-Jan-17 16:31:39

My son is a Dylan, and according to his teacher is the best behaved in the class, always getting awards etc, it doesn't matter what you name your child, it's how you raise them that matters x

Keysss Thu 26-Jan-17 16:32:00

Cameron

smilingsarahb Thu 26-Jan-17 16:33:41

I know lots of lovely Dylans and a couple of naughty ones just like any other name

Wilberforce2 Thu 26-Jan-17 16:39:54

I have a Dylan who is 8 and he is an angel, I promise I'm not just saying this because I'm his Mum! He really is so well behaved and has been since the day he was born, no toddler tantrums etc and never any problems at school.

Everyone takes great delight in telling me he is going to be a nightmare teenager confused

Dylan is a great name!

DramaAlpaca Thu 26-Jan-17 16:49:16

I really don't understand what exactly makes a name a 'naughty boy name' other than in the minds of prejudiced people.

I find it quite offensive that names are judged in this way. Sadly it happens a lot on here.

What SickNotes says above is completely true, they are often names of Irish origin, or those perceived as 'working class' names.

My own son has an Irish name that fits into this category & regularly gets slated on here. His name doesn't make him a 'naughty boy', it reflects his cultural heritage.

For what it's worth, Dylan is a lovely name.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Thu 26-Jan-17 17:15:00

I have a Dylan, lovely he is.

MarmiteDoesYouGood Thu 26-Jan-17 17:28:16

Dylan was high on our list but difficult to pronounce where we live, unfortunately. I think it's a great name, and I'm super middle-class.

And I never knew people saw it as a naughty boy name until I read it on here either. I don't think mumsnet is particularly representative of the real world, OP, so I'd just ignore it if I were you.

heateallthebuns Thu 26-Jan-17 17:32:42

Isn't Dylan Welsh?

Ollycat Thu 26-Jan-17 17:36:06

A name is just a name! If you love it go for it!

I know a couple of Dylan's and they are very well to do so am surprised that people have linked it with some of the other names which have perhaps become a little stigmatised.

SaorAlbaGuBrath Thu 26-Jan-17 17:36:21

I like it, and I don't think it's a "naughty boy" name, I think that the snobs who turn their nose up at it would turn their nose up at most things. Fwiw DS2 has an Irish name which the name police on here would have a field day with, yet DS1 and DD have very traditional names. Oh, and DS2 isn't a naughty boy, he's a sweetie most of the time.

Missyb15 Thu 26-Jan-17 17:38:23

dylan thomas the poet...i think it's a lovely name. yes it's welsh i think healteal

ZombieApocalips Thu 26-Jan-17 17:41:12

My son is in a class with a Dylan. He's intelligent, polite, funny, kind and a great friend.
I think that people get turned off a name when they know one annoying person with the name.(adult or child)
Similarly they love a name when they know a fab person with that name.

Your son is an individual so don't worry about other people's perceptions of it. I would only judge if the spelling was "creative" e.g. Dilllon but you're going for the standard spelling.

TheTartOfAsgard Thu 26-Jan-17 17:42:25

I love both Dylan and Cameron adds both to list

Any child has the potential to be the 'naughty kid' so I wouldn't take any notice. There's always a little shit ratbag in every class and there always has been - it didn't just start when a certain name comes into use.

duvetttpol Thu 26-Jan-17 17:45:30

Zombie I have a Dillon, it isn't creative hmm

PostTruthEra Thu 26-Jan-17 17:45:45

I absolutely love the name Dylan! Couldn't use it as DH didn't like it. What's the middle name going to be?

Toooldtobearsed Thu 26-Jan-17 17:48:36

I love the name Dylan! Too old to procreate now, but would love a GS named Dylan hint, hint

ZombieApocalips Thu 26-Jan-17 18:46:15

Duvett A triple "l" spelling is creative.

Keeptrudging Thu 26-Jan-17 18:49:42

I'm a teacher, I've taught many lovely Dylans. It's not on my watch list grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now