Talk

Advanced search

Matilde, Esmeralda, Ana or Fabiola?

(28 Posts)
Mum8 Thu 26-Jan-17 04:48:01

Due in a few weeks and no name for Dd2. Thought we decided on Esmeralda but now we r thinking it's a syllable too long. We wanted a unique Spanish name we both love but hard to find. DH likes Ana, it's nice but so common. Thought of Matilde but maybe that's common too and Fabiol a new suggestion but it's just that DH not that fond and neither me tbh. Still undecided and find it so hard. Any suggestions? Do you like any of these names and why?

Mum8 Thu 26-Jan-17 04:49:00

Meant Fabiola above not Fabiol of course 😉

BeingATwatItsABingThing Thu 26-Jan-17 04:53:11

I like Esmeralda and Ana from your choices.

Can't figure out how to pronounce Matilde and Fabiola is surely a joke?

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Thu 26-Jan-17 04:54:38

Fabiola sounds like aereola to me, sorry!

Are you and DP Spanish, or do you just want a Spanish feel?

Newbiecat Thu 26-Jan-17 04:57:09

I'm sorry but isn't Esmeralda a witch from a children's tale?!

Ana lovely or Matilde ok

Mum8 Thu 26-Jan-17 05:03:05

DH is Spanish which is why we wanted a Spanish name but I guess Latin names in general will work

Raines100 Thu 26-Jan-17 07:09:40

I don't like Fabiola. It sounds like a virus.
Ana is nice but very normal. Esmerelda is more 'out there', so you need to decide which way you want to jump with that. FWIW I love Esmerelda. She was the gypsy from The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
Matilde- is it pronounced like Matilda or the French Mathilde? Either is pretty.

LotsoNumbers Thu 26-Jan-17 07:12:13

I like esmerelda but then I like hunchback of notre dame! What about valentina

DavidPuddy Thu 26-Jan-17 07:15:07

I once worked with a spanish lady called Belen. I thought that was very stylish. Is Pilar still a popular name, because that is pretty, too.

PorridgeHoneyCake Thu 26-Jan-17 07:20:08

I know a half Spanish Maite (not sure of spelling - I think I'm missing an accent) pronounced similar to Mighty. Brilliant girl, cute name.

Mum8 Thu 26-Jan-17 07:40:17

We love Maite but live in the UK where everyone will say mate so we ruled that out. Pillar and Belen also not work will in English we think, it's like pillar and let me not explain the second lol. Esmerelda we thought of is spelled Esmeralda mostly in Spanish and Matilde is pronounced like Matilda but with e at the end, like e in end

minniebear Thu 26-Jan-17 07:43:46

I love Ana! Not keen on the others. I like Valentina too, and Juliette.

MiniMaxi Thu 26-Jan-17 08:55:33

I knew a girl called Azahara once (means flower / orange blossom) - quite a pretty name I think but you might have a "Z pronunciation issue" in the uk smile

Or how about Elena? Or Marta?

goldenrachita Thu 26-Jan-17 10:51:24

Esmeralda is absolutely beautiful. It's the name of Eva Mendes and Ryan Gosling's first daughter.

Matilde is not Spanish. And there will be so many Matildas around. I'd choose something more individual.

I think it's a wonderful idea to use a Spanish name. There are so many pretty ones that might be a bit different to the typical girls' names here.

My suggestions are: Alondra; Carolina; Alicia; Catalina; Eloisa; Leonor; Leonora (pronounced: lay-o-nora); Marisa; Ines (pronounced In-ess); Isidora; Nina; Rosalia; Marta; Lucia; Gabriela; Rocio; Amalia; Florencia; Elena; Violeta.

I'd avoid Isabel or Sofia as they are now so popular here that they won't be seen as particularly Spanish.

Jooni Thu 26-Jan-17 13:11:01

I like Matilde best. How about Mafalda?

TownMouseCuntMouse Thu 26-Jan-17 14:02:05

I actually like Fabiola, but I think you'd get a lot of people mispronouncing it (hence the 'virus/areola' comments from PPs, who I think are reading it as fab-ee-OH-la, which is ugly as hell. It is pronounced fab-EE-o-la). So I would rule it out for that reason.

Willialwaysbelookeddownon Thu 26-Jan-17 14:05:24

Not keen on any of the above. Fabiana is nicer than Fabiola.
What about..
Valentina
Alessandra
Isadora
Socorro
Adriana
HTH

Willialwaysbelookeddownon Thu 26-Jan-17 14:08:05

Oh and Ines! Love Ines.

HolisticAssassin Thu 26-Jan-17 14:11:23

Ana

Sirzy Thu 26-Jan-17 14:16:04

Ana

I think matilde is ok but she will be forever correcting people calling her Matilda

Pipilangstrumpf Thu 26-Jan-17 18:10:58

Esmeralda is beautiful, but I also like the suggestion of Valentina.

Ana would get confused with Anna a lot, I think.

Mum8 Thu 26-Jan-17 20:21:32

Isn't Anna the same as Ana in pronunciation? We do like Esmeralda but concerned it will be shorted to Esme which is OK but not our favourite name. Prefer the full name but wish it were a 3 syllable one. DH does not like Valentina... Wish we had a name we felt that was it straightaway...

LadyMonicaBaddingham Thu 26-Jan-17 20:24:10

There was an absolutely dreadful girl called Fabiola in the year above me at school, so that's a no from me. all your other choices are lovely, though I do like a PP's suggestion of Pilar...

Raines100 Fri 27-Jan-17 06:48:45

Townmouse is spot on. What a difference a stressed syllable can make.

SeashellHoarder Fri 27-Jan-17 09:15:24

Beatriz?
Mercedes?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now