Talk

Advanced search

Can you use Maddie, if the full name is Matilda?

(28 Posts)
TurquoiseFairy Wed 25-Jan-17 23:25:06

Thanks smile

I think Matty or Tilly would be the most obvious choice of nickname for others to give them, but if you establish Maddie from the very beginning, you may get away with it smile

Excellent choice of nickname grin

Manumission Wed 25-Jan-17 23:28:27

Mattie, Tilly or Tilda would be more obvious.

TBH, Maddie feels a bit awkward. Like forcing something that doesn't quite fit.

Joeybee Wed 25-Jan-17 23:28:29

Yeah for sure, I was thinking of Maddie for Matilda. The obvious is Mattie, but it's a bit too cutesy for me. I think Maddie would stick.

FlabbyFantastic Wed 25-Jan-17 23:28:41

You could. But it doesn't make much sense.

Mattie, Tilly, Tilda, yes.

FlabbyFantastic Wed 25-Jan-17 23:30:51

I can't think of a better analogy than trying to shorten Marcus to Matt. Just totally random and completely illogical. HTH

Joinourclub Wed 25-Jan-17 23:31:02

Many Americans would pronounce Matty and Maddie the same

WoweeZowee Wed 25-Jan-17 23:31:11

Wouldn't be a name that would occur to me from Matilda, to be honest. Mati, Tilly or Tilda, yes.

hahahaIdontgetit Wed 25-Jan-17 23:31:31

You can nickname whatever you want, we need to use pikelet and muffin, which doesn't relate to either of their given names (but are both baked goods thinking about it grin)

hahahaIdontgetit Wed 25-Jan-17 23:32:20

Tend to use, not need to use blush

TheEmmaDilemma Wed 25-Jan-17 23:32:49

No, Maddie is short for Madeline.

Manumission Wed 25-Jan-17 23:34:55

I really like Mattie FWIW

QuimReaper Wed 25-Jan-17 23:38:32

I think you can have nicknames however you want them. Matilda has a Ma- and a D so that's good enough for me. It doesn't naturally follow but it's no less illogical than Libby for Elizabeth or Peggy for Margaret or Poppy for Pauline. I think it's cool to be creative with shortenings.

In fact, I used to have a friend whose sister was something like Malaika but shortened it to Max, which was just ace smile

notMarlene Wed 25-Jan-17 23:40:53

Magdalen could be stretched to Maddie, I think, but not Mathilda. It's just too close to Mattie so It'd cause no end of confusion.

notMarlene Wed 25-Jan-17 23:46:15

Magdalen could be stretched to Maddie, I think, but not Mathilda. It's just too close to Mattie so It'd cause no end of confusion, a bit like nning Timothy, Tom IYSWIM. Prone to miss-hearing as the known nn.

I don't think there really needs to be any logic or sense to nn's though, wouldn't batt an eyelid at Puffin for a Rosalie.

FrancisCrawford Wed 25-Jan-17 23:51:14

Maddie doesn't have any connection with Matilda. It's as random as calling her Milly or Molly instead of Matilda.

Pipilangstrumpf Thu 26-Jan-17 10:19:20

Most kids would shorten Matilda to Mat or Matty as that's the natural shortening. But it could be anything really.

Why on earth do so many parents PLAN a nickname in advance? Find a name you love instead!

Willialwaysbelookeddownon Thu 26-Jan-17 13:57:35

My friend in primary was Minty. My mum always assumed she was Araminta. Anyhoo, many years later discovered she was a Matilda!
It didn't cause her any problems HTH

caffelatte100 Thu 26-Jan-17 13:59:28

I have a Mathilda (this spelling) and at school it is shortened to Mathi and they all spell it this way, (seems not as girlie in case that helps).

indigo13 Thu 26-Jan-17 14:16:46

Of course you can!

Newtssuitcase Thu 26-Jan-17 14:18:34

Maddy is short for Madeleine though so it would be a bit weird.

Mistyshallow Thu 26-Jan-17 14:19:09

You can use whatever you like. Lots of people have nicknames totally unrelated to their name. The good thing is you are the one choosing the nickname..

AmeliaJack Thu 26-Jan-17 14:19:20

I think that you can call her what you like but she'll grow up being called Mattie or Tilly by everyone else.

You can't enforce a nickname.

5moreminutes Thu 26-Jan-17 14:21:36

You can use Fred if you want wink If you use Maddie you just have to accept that the vast majority of people will assume her full name is Madeline or possibly Madison and there will be mild surprise that it is Matilda. Matilda shortens to Mattie or Tilly obviously.

5moreminutes Thu 26-Jan-17 14:24:36

Nobody will really care though and it won't actually matter.

I rhyme and lengthen my kids names to whatever I feel like on a whim and have unintentionally given the impression they have totally different names occasionally

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now