Talk

Advanced search

Virtue names for boys or unisex?

(24 Posts)
ClaryIsTheBest Wed 18-Jan-17 19:52:48

One of DD's middle names is a virtue name

(Basically: Clarissa Scandi-name virtue name)

We'd like to do something similar for DC 2. So... if DC2 is a boy? Then I'm a bit stumped, tbh.

Any suggestions? Thanks <3

Sophronia Wed 18-Jan-17 20:23:16

Justice
True
Courage
Valor
Bravery
Earnest
Constant
Noble
Prosper
Clement
Merit
August
Chance
Pax
Freedom
Wisdom
Happy
Lively
Victor
Welcome
Goodluck
Felix
Loyal
Reason
Valiant
Innocent
Sterling
Ever
Makepeace

ClaryIsTheBest Wed 18-Jan-17 23:59:43

I really like Justice and Valor. Thanks smile Earnest sounds nice when DH pronounces is. I mangle it horrible... :/

I also love Liberty and Felix.

And I like Honor and Loyal.

I feel like virtue names are less common for boys than for girls. So, idk, on on some level it makes more of a statement (so the meaning has to be considered more carefully)? But obviously every name has to be considered.
Maybe I'm not making sense, idk blush

PotatoMcKale Thu 19-Jan-17 00:03:54

Frank? Sounds normal, means honest/upfront

SeashellHoarder Thu 19-Jan-17 03:02:42

Constantine

MarilynWhirlwindRocks Thu 19-Jan-17 03:30:26

Ooh, yes, PPs: Felix, Constantine and August are all great smile

MrsPringles Thu 19-Jan-17 03:43:35

What's a virtue name?
<misses point of thread>

MarilynWhirlwindRocks Thu 19-Jan-17 04:16:38

MrsP,

Traditionally, a Virtue Name was given in the hope that the baby would take on that positive characteristic (e.g. Grace, Charity, Mercy etc.).

ClaryIsTheBest Thu 19-Jan-17 09:15:53

Frank reminds me of Franken/Swiss Franc. It's a nice name, but a bit like calling somebody Pount to me personally. But thank you for taking the time to comment smile

marilyn I think that's a really nice way of explaining it, thanks smile. In a way it also a well wish, I think.

Constantine is very Constantine the great, which I personally don't like. But thank you for suggesting it smile

I guess it's important to mention the DD's virtue name is rather secular. I mean, I'm sure many religious people see it as a positive quality as well. But it isn't a name like Grace or Faith for example (not that there's anything wrong with religious virtue names).

I think I'd want to go with something similarly non-religious for DC2.

Felix is really great imo smile!

Sugarpiehoneyeye Thu 19-Jan-17 15:56:03

I rather like Noble.

steppemum Thu 19-Jan-17 15:59:09

Honor and Liberty to me are girls names.

Love some of the ones on Sophronia's list especially Justice and Makepeace (not sure if I could ever use Makepeace, but cool name!)

SallyInSweden Thu 19-Jan-17 16:04:28

Funny this should come up, an Ernest has started in my seven year olds class, and there are two little Augustus's in our circle.

Both massively due a come back.

badtime Thu 19-Jan-17 16:31:26

I guess If-Jesus-Christ-Had-Not-Died-For-Thee-Thou-Hadst-Been-Damned is a bit old fashioned?

EmbarrassingBaddie Thu 19-Jan-17 19:47:50

I know a bloke called Grace..

MrsPringles Thu 19-Jan-17 20:18:07

Thanks Marilyn smile

GruochMacAlpin Thu 19-Jan-17 20:23:33

I recently encountered a little Justus. (Pronounced Justice)

I was originally a little hmm but I googled and it's the name of the 4th Archbishop of Canterbury and actually there are quite a few people with the name online.

It's really grown on me.

ClaryIsTheBest Thu 19-Jan-17 20:32:09

If-Jesus-Christ-Had-Not-Died-For-Thee-Thou-Hadst-Been-Damned isn't just too old fashioned, it's also too religious. Although I imagine my nonna might like it wink

I've been practicing saying Earnest. I can either roll the r, do German one, a throaty one or just notpronounce it at all (the English one gets mangled unless I reaaaally concentrate). But Idk... I want to pronounce the name without troubles.

Is there a non-girly version of Liberty? Free? Freedom?

What about Lucky? Compassion? Clemens? True?

OliviaBensonOnAGoodDay Thu 19-Jan-17 20:41:34

Inspector Morse's babe was Endeavour. I like that.

I never thought about it before but you don't often hear virtue names for boys in the UK.

OliviaBensonOnAGoodDay Thu 19-Jan-17 20:42:09

Name, not babe! God you can tell I'm from Essex blush

stabbybitch Thu 19-Jan-17 20:42:49

DS2 would have been called lucky if I had my way. Sadly it was vetoed by DP. I think it's perfect for a boy.

Sweets101 Thu 19-Jan-17 20:44:28

Clemence is a boys name isn't it?

mistermagpie Thu 19-Jan-17 20:45:04

I know a Clement, he's not a child though but I quite like it. He gets called Clem for short.

ClaryIsTheBest Sat 21-Jan-17 09:25:34

I know a Clemens (a man) and a Clemence (young woman). I think Clement is the English version for a male of Clemence?

But it would be the 2nd or 3rd name. So, it's probably more about meaning than sound? I like Endeavour, thanks smile!

IWantATardis Sat 21-Jan-17 09:29:23

Felix is from the Latin word for lucky.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now