Talk

Advanced search

Is Luna a weird name?

(107 Posts)
Sophpau Tue 17-Jan-17 21:23:34

I like the name Luna thanks to Harry Potter but I have been set on Thea for a while. Luna, Thea or maybe even Aurora

Bluntness100 Tue 17-Jan-17 21:25:56

Luna screams Harry Potter to me. I would struggle to name my child after a very obvious Harry Potter character. She would get the piss taken out of her for a good few years if not all of her educational years.

HardcoreLadyType Tue 17-Jan-17 21:26:26

We often call the moon Luna. (My DC are teens, but the habit dates from when they were little.)

It's a very pretty name.

Perhaps you could choose Luna if she is born at night, and Aurora if she is born at dawn. wink

plimsolls Tue 17-Jan-17 21:27:44

I know it's becoming more popular at the moment, I didn't make the HP connection but it makes sense now.

Personally, I don't like it much. I can't put my finger on why, maybe it's the Loo/Loon sound or maybe just because it seems too new so doesn't quite feel right. That's just a personal taste thing.

I do happen to love Aurora. I've loved the sound of the word since I was little (I'm sure there were two characters on something called Aurora and Andromeda). I like the fact it's quite a girly, grand name but can be shortened to Rory which is so sweet and "rough n tumble" sounding.

TLDR version: No, Luna isn't weird but I much prefer Aurora.

Cartright Tue 17-Jan-17 21:31:32

It's alright. It will mark her parents out as Harry Potter fans, which might be seen as embarrassing or dated in a decade's time; it's hard to tell how well the books are ageing at the moment.

I think it's very likely she'll be called Loony Luna at some stage, as the character is in the books.

MyBreadIsEggy Tue 17-Jan-17 21:33:23

I think it's lovely smile it was on my list for my DD.
A friend of mine has recently had a baby girl named Aurora (So-called because her parents honeymooned in Finland and saw the Aurora Borealis smile)

Raines100 Tue 17-Jan-17 21:33:26

Luna- tic for me, I'm afraid.
Aurora is beautiful.

TheTartOfAsgard Tue 17-Jan-17 21:34:55

I love Luna - it's on my list if bump is a girl. I don't think it's weird and, even though I'm a huge fan, I didn't choose it for the Harry Potter connection - I'm into astrology and and looking for a celestial name.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Tue 17-Jan-17 21:35:59

Luna is my dog's name :p

ScruffyTheJanitor Tue 17-Jan-17 21:38:08

Luna is a pretty name.

But I worry about names when kids grow up, Doctor Luna, Judge Luna, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom Luna Sophpau.
I dunno, its pretty though.

Filibustering Tue 17-Jan-17 21:41:15

It screams parents who are HP fans but haven't noticed that the reason JKR gave her character a name suggestive of lunacy is because she's a radish-earringed wacko who reads magazines upside down and is a general laughing stock.

Thea and Aurora are a thousand times nicer and not so specifically and datably associated with a character (assuming people don't read Aurora Leigh a lot these days...)

Sophpau Tue 17-Jan-17 21:42:56

I no what you mean some time it's just the sound of a name that can just put some people off like the loon sound.
I do find a lot of names from books And films.
I love the name aurora but I fear it is getting very popular now. Still love it though

RubyFlint Tue 17-Jan-17 21:47:38

How about Moonie?

RubyFlint Tue 17-Jan-17 21:48:36

Sorry just kidding. I actually think Luna is quite sweet.

LilQueenie Tue 17-Jan-17 21:50:50

I like it and dont actually get the Harry Potter connection.

BeastofCraggyIsland Tue 17-Jan-17 21:51:31

I speak Spanish so first think 'moon' closely followed by the 'lunatic' thing too. It's very popular as a dog name, I see loads of them in the practice and almost all are fondly known as Looney or Looney Tunes!

SallyGinnamon Tue 17-Jan-17 21:52:08

I'd be worried she'd be nicknamed Loony Luna. Sorry. hmm

squiggleirl Tue 17-Jan-17 21:54:13

At a push, I'd go with Thea. Luna has the potential to lead to mocking name-calling when she's older. Aurora makes me think of Sleeping Beauty.

SittingDrinkingTea Tue 17-Jan-17 21:56:28

I like Luna better than Thea or Aurora. Thea just sounds like fear to me, and I find Aurora a bit of a tongue twister. I like the moon connection, if I had girl twins and I was feeling brave I'd call them Luna and Stella i.e. Moon and star.

pepperpot99 Tue 17-Jan-17 22:09:51

It's weird

ScarletForYa Tue 17-Jan-17 22:13:02

I think it's horrible. Just a very ugly word.

LastGirlOnTheLeft Tue 17-Jan-17 22:17:11

Nooooo - she will be called Looney by horrible children.

HumphreyCobblers Tue 17-Jan-17 22:19:01

I know an Aurora. It is a brilliant name.

pictish Tue 17-Jan-17 22:22:30

No it is nice. It's our cat's name but I think it's perfect for a lovely girl.

megletthesecond Tue 17-Jan-17 22:23:58

It's pretty. It might surge in popularity due to Chrissy Teigen plastering instagram with pics of her baby Luna. shallow and proud

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now