Talk

Advanced search

Will Polly always be asked to 'put the kettle on'?

(23 Posts)
HLBug Mon 16-Jan-17 22:43:37

And/or have to put up with a lifetime of parrot jokes?

Barefootcontessa84 Mon 16-Jan-17 23:42:43

No - I think it's sweet.

PollytheDolly Mon 16-Jan-17 23:45:19

Polly is gorgeous.

My horse is called Polly and she's the best, hence my username smile

AutumnalLeaves38 Tue 17-Jan-17 01:01:56

Very much doubt it, OP, so don't worry!

I know 3 Pollys, of ages spanning 3yrs to mid 40s, and they're only ever complimented on having a pretty name (I agree: it's lovely).

Plus it's not overused, so I'd say definitely go for it smile

BadLad Tue 17-Jan-17 05:19:40

I dated a Polly for a few months, and wondered the same thing. She said it hadn't come up at all.

DontDeadOpenInside Tue 17-Jan-17 05:50:37

If she was my daughter she would. sad

Not by me though - Maybe thats just a reflection of my weird family.

daquee101 Tue 17-Jan-17 05:54:36

Outing myself but I'm called Polly and had all those jokes back in primary school but not much since really.

Pluto30 Tue 17-Jan-17 06:04:47

Nope, wouldn't think so.

And even if it were mentioned a couple of times, it's not exactly a bad association, so I wouldn't worry about it.

BeingATwatItsABingThing Tue 17-Jan-17 06:07:22

I was asked if I was named after famous celebrities or if I would have been given a certain name that famously goes with my surname had I been a boy. They'll find anything.

Go for it if you like it. smile

BikeRunSki Tue 17-Jan-17 06:10:33

You know what.... my eldest is 8, my youngest is 5 a d I don't think we ever sand that song.

Polly is a great name.

Rainatnight Tue 17-Jan-17 06:28:30

Nope, I'm friends with a Polly and it's never come up. It's a lovely name.

Eebs Tue 17-Jan-17 06:38:52

I have a Polly. She mistakenly gets called Poppy quite a lot and Holly. But otherwise fine. There are some great characters in books such as Mr Gum and Polly and the wolf which she likes. She is aften complimented on the name.

HLBug Tue 17-Jan-17 07:21:41

Thanks all - thought I'd get lots of 'yes' responses to the question, but nice to know I'm probably worrying about nothing. Middle name would be Joan - so Polly Joan (which will inevitably become PJ I'm sure)

MarmiteDoesYouGood Tue 17-Jan-17 11:05:48

I knew a Polly when I was a teenager (she was from the "other" school in our village/town) and we all thought she was so cool and trendy and hot! Never thought anything about her name tbh.

TDmoocher Tue 17-Jan-17 14:38:48

We sing this song every week at Rhyme Time but it's quite an old fashioned song now and we never have it at any other playgroups or classes we've been to so it might never register to her classmates

Nonameyet1 Tue 17-Jan-17 19:07:44

Love Polly. Have you considered Pollie spelling, would it have less association?!

originalmavis Tue 17-Jan-17 19:11:00

I would think 'wantsacracker...squaaaaaaak'. But I do think it's a cute name. Is it short for Penelope?

LovelyBaubles Tue 17-Jan-17 19:12:43

One of my favourite people is called Polly. Love the name.

HLBug Tue 17-Jan-17 22:08:34

I think it's an old nickname for Mary?

Daisypopslop Thu 19-Jan-17 16:40:00

My best friend in primary school was a Polly. I don't remember anyone ever seriously using those old rhymes with her.

It's a great name and I was tempted to use it, but my friend polly became although an amazing person someone who I would not want my child to be admiring. Sorry if that sounds awful but my truly loving clever friend got into drugs and all went a bit bad for her. confused BUT it's a great name!

MitzyLeFrouf Thu 19-Jan-17 16:52:18

Middle name would be Joan - so Polly Joan (which will inevitably become PJ I'm sure)

The great PJ Harvey is a Polly Jean.

HLBug Thu 19-Jan-17 17:42:15

Thanks Mitzy- PJ Harvey certainly a fairly cool person to have a name association with smile

Joeybee Mon 23-Jan-17 00:21:44

Doubt it, think that rhyme is more something the older generations would think of. Not sure about the name Polly though tbh, prefer Molly or Holly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now