Talk

Advanced search

Ivo - too posh?

(32 Posts)
leonina Mon 16-Jan-17 16:23:53

Opinions? Also like Ivan/Evan and Ivor...

JournosAreLazy Mon 16-Jan-17 16:26:11

I prefer Ivan to Ivo. Ivo feels that an unfinished word to me. I don't think it's too posh though.

AuntiePenguin Mon 16-Jan-17 16:26:58

I like ivo and don't think of it as posh

Sophronia Mon 16-Jan-17 16:28:40

I like Ivo, and also don't think it's too posh

Brownhair123 Mon 16-Jan-17 16:29:41

I like Ivan. Ivo is nice but for some reason it's not a comfortable word to say. It doesn't sound posh.

SallyInSweden Mon 16-Jan-17 16:31:41

I like Ivo as well. But then I know a few. Good solid Germanic name.

leonina Mon 16-Jan-17 16:34:25

Nice to hear positive responses smile thanks all.
Yes SallyInSweden ! - British/Austrian parents so looking for something that will work in both settings...

Minty82 Mon 16-Jan-17 16:35:57

I do think of Ivo as pretty posh (I only know Etonian ones - not Estonian, as autocorrect suggested!) but it's nice, and it could be a bit under the radar posh - ie people are quite likely not to have come across it at all and therefore wouldn't have 'posh' as their first association. I like Ivan but it is very Russian, which feels slightly random if you're not.

Minty82 Mon 16-Jan-17 16:37:00

Ah, just saw the British/AustrIan thing - Ivo good choice then!

ClaryIsTheBest Mon 16-Jan-17 16:37:28

I like the name.
I actually know two Ivos. They're both really lovely smile! Probably makes me a bit biased, tbh....

MarmiteDoesYouGood Mon 16-Jan-17 16:57:50

The connotation for me is of latin roots, not posh ones. But then, I've never met an English Ivo, maybe that's why! (I'm not in with the Eton crown I guess).

MarmiteDoesYouGood Mon 16-Jan-17 16:58:30

Oh and I think it's a great name. Was in our shortlist (to be pronounced ee-vo for us)

PatsFan Mon 16-Jan-17 17:08:30

I like it. The only Ivo I have ever met was Portuguese. Didn't realise it was a posh name.

leonina Mon 16-Jan-17 17:08:57

Thanks for all the replies!
Minty82 interesting point about under the radar poshness!
MarmiteDoesYouGood also good point about pronounciation... Would be eye-vo I guess but I also like how ee-vo sounds...

Phalarope Mon 16-Jan-17 17:12:56

I love it. It was our first choice for DS, but then he didn't look like an Ivo when he arrived. (Not actually sure what a newborn Ivo is supposed to look like. I imagine it was fairly hormone-related).

Jooni Mon 16-Jan-17 17:14:34

Love Ivo. I can't use it because it really doesn't work with our surname, but it's so simple, strong and lovely. Go for it!

chatnanny Mon 16-Jan-17 17:16:39

I think of it as Welsh rather than highfalutin maybe because I assumed it was short for Ivan. Personally I always think best to give the full name so they can choose that or the NN. I like it.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Mon 16-Jan-17 17:30:38

I would go with Ivo.

CheekyNandosChicken Mon 16-Jan-17 17:51:39

My only knowledge of the name is through Ivor the Engine. (Yes, I'm old!!)

averythinline Mon 16-Jan-17 17:57:17

I'm also old so would assume Ivor just pronounced differently - I loved Ivor but didn't work with our surname also really like Evan and Ivan probably preference Evan of the 3 - but all good names

would think all Welsh origin rather than posh...not saying you cant be posh and welsh grin

leonina Mon 16-Jan-17 18:02:19

chatnanny and averythinline yes, I hear you on the Welsh-soundingness of it. There are some tenuous Welsh family connections which I could draw on too...
I like the Ivor the Engine connotations too!

WankersHacksandThieves Mon 16-Jan-17 18:07:52

I like it, I'd always thought it was Celtic/French as it's not unknown in Scotland (but not posh) and obviously there was the "auld alliance" Scots/French thing going on.

Who knows where it comes from! :O

I also like Ivan, Evan, Owen, Euan etc all possibly from the same roots.

Interestingangelfish Mon 16-Jan-17 18:36:37

Ivo is a great name. I sometimes consider having another child, just so I can use it (but of course I might end up with another girl...)

Interestingangelfish Mon 16-Jan-17 18:47:23

Ivo is a great name. I sometimes consider having another child, just so I can use it (but of course I might end up with another girl...)

DappledThings Mon 16-Jan-17 19:01:12

Love Ivo and we considered it for a middle name. For us it was a cricket connection though, Ivo Bligh, named on the Ashes urn!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now