Talk

Advanced search

Opinions please (especially if you're Irish!)

(28 Posts)
babyblabber Sun 15-Jan-17 15:37:11

Due DC4 in a few weeks and we can't agree on a girl's name. Boy's name sorted.

The only one we marginally agree on is Penelope but even though it was my suggestion, I'm not sure about it. Is it too long? A bit of a mouthful? Pretentious? Also my husband fully intends to use Penny but I'm not into nicknames, fine if it happens later in life but would prefer us to refer to our baby as the name we choose and not a nickname. Not having nicknames was a factor in choosing the other kids' names!

Others I like are:
Lila
Robyn
Eva - but bit put off my the number of Ava, Evie etc names. They all blend into each other a bit.
Lara
Harper - but have the beckhams ruined it?

He likes Rachel and Rebecca. I like them but theyre a bit boring maybe and can't stand becks/Becky.

Opinions on all welcome!

babyblabber Sun 15-Jan-17 16:37:41

Forgot one, Lola

MamaOodles Sun 15-Jan-17 17:36:30

Watching with interest.....

DC2 due in the next few weeks and my list is almost identical to yours but husband doesn't like any of them! angry but has no suggestions of his own. Only extra one I have is Lois? I'll post if we come up with any new ones though!

Out of interest and of course if you don't mind saying what are your boys names? I am finding it hard to think of anything I like!

lorelairoryemily Sun 15-Jan-17 17:38:51

Hi op, I love Penelope but it wouldn't bother me shortening it to penny, I think it's really sweet, out of the rest of your choices I think Lara is lovely, not too common and nice and pretty!!(I'm Irish btwsmile)

Rinmybell Sun 15-Jan-17 17:54:02

Robyn and Lara are lovely.
I agree with you on Rachel and Rebecca. V boring IMO.

ArseyTussle Sun 15-Jan-17 17:56:07

I love Lila (and Lois), not keen on the rest, sorry.

CremeEggThief Sun 15-Jan-17 17:58:20

I like Lila, Lara and Robyn best.

Have you thought about Aoibhe as an alternative to Eva or Eve?

peaceloveandbiscuits Sun 15-Jan-17 19:11:26

I like Eve more than Eva and find it still sounds classic compared to all the Ava/Evies.
From your list I like Lara the best.

Losgunna Sun 15-Jan-17 19:14:42

I like aoibhe as an alternative to Eva. Robyn is lovely too. Not keen on Penelope but that's probably because knew a Penney who wasn't particularly pleasant

ElspethFlashman Sun 15-Jan-17 19:19:37

It will be shortened to Penny before she's left the labour ward!

Lara is my favourite out of that. I know a Lara, in Dublin, and always admired it.

Eva/Ava/Aoibhe/Aoibheann is crazy popular right now. More than Rachel it seems to me sometimes! That puts me off. There will definitely be some derivative in her class.

NurseRosie Sun 15-Jan-17 19:20:31

I like all of yours except Harper. Penelope is OK but I prefer Penny. How about Lilia or Cara?

Quiltsalot Sun 15-Jan-17 19:20:51

I like Penny but not Penelope so much. I much prefer Eve to Eva or Ava. Like Robyn and Lara. Love Rachel.

What about Aoife as an alternative to Eva/Eve/Ava?

Don't like Harper at all.

NapQueen Sun 15-Jan-17 19:22:33

Just go for Penny. No Penelope on the bc, so you aren't using a nickname you are using her actual name grin

mistermagpie Sun 15-Jan-17 19:22:46

My niece is Penelope. Her parents only every call her that but pretty much everyone else calls her Penny. I don't personally like Penelope but even if you do then I think she will end up being Penny. Rebecca will also probably end up being Becky and Eve /Evie/Ava etc are just so overused now.

Rachael is lovely though, classic and timeless.

LadyMonicaBaddingham Sun 15-Jan-17 19:35:36

I knew a Penelope who was known as 'Nelly'. She was lovely

Aquamarine1029 Sun 15-Jan-17 19:38:32

What about Camdyn? Female version of Camden.

Pluto30 Sun 15-Jan-17 19:49:12

Lila and Lola are my favourites from your list.

Harper is ultra-popular at the moment. Very trendy, and will date very badly.

I don't like Robyn or Eva.

Lara is objectively fine, and I should like it considering I like most other L names, but for some reason, I just don't. I don't think it rolls off the tongue as nicely as Lila/Lola or even Lana.

17caterpillars1mouse Sun 15-Jan-17 20:38:17

I really like Lara

Penelope is nice but not something I would consider using myself. Lara I would

babyblabber Sun 15-Jan-17 21:19:01

DH has just categorically vetoed Lara, Lola and Harper.

He would defo agree to Eva I think but I don't think I love it. Not into the Irish versions.

So Eva, Robyn, Penelope or Lila (although might take some convincing to get him on board with Lila).

What do Irish mums think of Penelope? I've never met one here!

MamaOodles a boy will be either Luca or Leo.

lorelairoryemily Sun 15-Jan-17 21:32:38

Babyblabber I absolutely love Penelope, really love it, I know one vaguely and she's in her twenties, it was on my girls list when I was pregnant. Go for it, it's fab!!

DramaAlpaca Sun 15-Jan-17 22:10:16

I'm in Ireland. I love Penelope & I've never met one here. I don't see it as pretentious at all, just a very pretty name.

She'll get called Penny though, no doubt about it - and there might be jokes about Penney's, which may or may not bother you.

3luckystars Sun 15-Jan-17 22:13:42

She will definitely be Penny, I think it's a lovely name too.

If you like Luca,do you like Lucia?

BrondeBombshell Sun 15-Jan-17 22:14:33

I live in ireland and i like Penelope.
Harper is rotten. Sorry

userformallyknownasuser1475360 Sun 15-Jan-17 22:18:27

Like Penelope, but not really Irish- reminds me of a Somerset type place iyswim.

What about Orlaith (or la), Siobhan (shi-Von), Yvonne, saoirse, Mairead?

Lumpy76 Sun 15-Jan-17 22:27:38

Well I love Penelope (all my children have Greek names) My own name is Lara and it's served me well and had it been Greek I might even have used it! But having lived in the Isle of Man I love some of the Gaelic names. Graihaigh (Greya) being a favourite along with Kirree and Caoimhe (Queeva or Keeva).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now