Talk

Advanced search

Really love the name River but a question

(34 Posts)
RedCrab Sun 15-Jan-17 15:11:29

How do you use it/ what kind of surname do you need to have without it sounding like it's the title of an actual river? grin

Our surname with it sounds like an actual river somewhere. But I love it so much for Dd2 due soon. Gah.

AutoFillContact65 Sun 15-Jan-17 15:12:59

Haha I never thought of that.

I guess it's the context - people know it is a human name and not referring to a river!

AutoFillContact65 Sun 15-Jan-17 15:13:39

Isn't it a boy name? I guess it can be either.

Hulababy Sun 15-Jan-17 15:15:00

I think it's the name of Jamie Oliver's new son.
I thought it was more of a boy's name but no idea why.

abbsisspartacus Sun 15-Jan-17 15:15:05

Song? Seriously my question would be boy or girl? After all you have river Phoenix and river song so?

BobbieDog Sun 15-Jan-17 15:17:21

Its one of those names which i have no idea which sex its aimed at.

Whatever surname you put with it its always going to sound like a river somewhere.

RedCrab Sun 15-Jan-17 15:18:36

It's unisex but more commonly known as a boy's name: nameberry.com/babyname/River/girl

This is very true Autocorrect grin

MarmiteDoesYouGood Sun 15-Jan-17 15:18:40

It's primarily a boy's name.

I think it has the potential to sound like the name of a river with basically any surname. Just something you have to live with and decide you don't care about if you really love the name. (I'm a fan of it).

RedCrab Sun 15-Jan-17 15:21:12

Yus Marmite - trying to decide if I care enough to use it or not. Somewhat ironically, the other name I really like - that has really grown on me - is Phoneix smile Another "is it a boy or girl's name" name. Not to mention generally appearing to cover River Phoneix's name!

RedCrab Sun 15-Jan-17 15:22:48

Gah! Phoenix! Would help if I could bloody spell it right.

AutoFillContact65 Sun 15-Jan-17 15:24:00

I like it too and our surname doesn't sound like a River but if you stick River in front of it then it could.

But I think people will know you are referring to a person.

But if it's going to at at you for the rest of your life then don't do it. I thought I could live with a rhyming married name but I can't, I fucking hate it after dealing with it for 5 years I got fed up. I guess it's the same with any down side to a name - it just depends on if you want the hassle of dealing with it.

AutoFillContact65 Sun 15-Jan-17 15:24:26

*if it's going to NAG at you

GruochMacAlpin Sun 15-Jan-17 15:26:28

blushSorry I never do this but... it's Phoenix. The spelling needs to be correct for this one.

RedCrab Sun 15-Jan-17 15:29:15

Gruoch I caught it too - don't aplogise though, people kinda need to be able to spell their chosen names wink

Rhyming names Auto - does it really do your head in?

insancerre Sun 15-Jan-17 15:32:08

I used to look after a little girl called River
I really like it and think it could work wijvany surname

DesolateWaist Sun 15-Jan-17 15:36:33

The River that I know has a surname that it is a very common surname.
That works well.

CostaAddict Sun 15-Jan-17 15:39:10

I know of a river but it's spelled Rhiver. He also has 6 middle names and a very common surname (like Smith for example).

He actually suits his name but no idea how he's going to fit 8 names on official documents confused

AutoFillContact65 Sun 15-Jan-17 15:43:08

The rhyming names sounds ridiculous but I think what is worse is that both are unusual and when put together no one ever says them correctly nor can anyone spell them.

Put my unusual first name with a straightforward surname and suddenly everyone can pronounce my first name and / or spell it correctly. But paired with the odd surname then I have to correct most folks about both names. It's tedious.

SuperFlyHigh Sun 15-Jan-17 15:44:22

My friend had a boy she called Riva, 27 years ago! Really suits him though.

GruochMacAlpin Sun 15-Jan-17 15:48:20

smile Thanks Red

Regarding River I think it's ok as long as your surname isn't the name of an actual river e.g. Trent, Clyde, Tay or Tweed.

harderandharder2breathe Sun 15-Jan-17 17:59:15

Well I used to know someone with the surname Nile... guessing that wouldn't work!

Rinmybell Sun 15-Jan-17 18:27:27

I know a girl River. She's stunning and it does sound like the name of a river with her surname but she kind of rocks it?!

Pluto30 Sun 15-Jan-17 19:46:36

It works if your surname is Phoenix, and doesn't work otherwise, IMO.

Otherwise, something common like River Jones or River James etc.

Jooni Sun 15-Jan-17 21:41:46

Agree that it's probably ok as long as your surname isn't a real life river. I actually quite like the idea of River on a girl.

Wenchelda Mon 16-Jan-17 22:26:34

I know a 5yo girl called River. She has a double barrelled surname. I thought it an odd name choice when I first met her but it totally suits her and the double barrelled surname makes her sound nothing like an actual river.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now