Talk

Advanced search

Hamish!

(36 Posts)
Oojemeflip Thu 12-Jan-17 22:41:28

I'm not Scottish. Dh isn't Scottish. We don't live in Scotland.
Can we name our son Hamish?

EmmaC78 Thu 12-Jan-17 22:42:58

I am not keen tbh. I am Scottish, and live in Scotland and still don't like it.

PaulaBBB Thu 12-Jan-17 22:44:17

Hamish is a west highland terrier! Here Hamish!!

Or when you're almost home - you're hamish!

garlicandsapphire Thu 12-Jan-17 22:53:07

love it.

BossWitch Thu 12-Jan-17 22:55:58

No!

carrielou2007 Thu 12-Jan-17 22:56:02

My youngest son is Hamish. Had a lot of eye rolling about it, don't care, I love it. I'm not Scottish, ex partner's dad was. Great name smile

MollyHuaCha Thu 12-Jan-17 23:01:22

Great name. I know a teen Hamish, has always lived in England. To me, the name is strong and masculine. Go for it.

Joinourclub Thu 12-Jan-17 23:06:55

Go for it!

AGBforever Thu 12-Jan-17 23:07:56

I love it! But it was vetoed by my EXH. Both Scottish if that helps (it doesn't, I know)

Reality16 Thu 12-Jan-17 23:10:38

Hamish is a west highland terrier! Here Hamish!!

This ^

AmyInTheBoonies Thu 12-Jan-17 23:10:51

I love it. I don't think you need to be Scottish.

Oojemeflip Thu 12-Jan-17 23:29:18

Hmm. Mixed opinions then. I hadn't even realised it was a dog name, but then so are most of the names I like so shouldnt be surprised. Still tempted though.

Rinmybell Thu 12-Jan-17 23:33:46

Definitely do it. Love it and know a great Hamish.

PaulaBBB Fri 13-Jan-17 07:44:25

At the end of the day though, if you and DH like it then go for it. It's not an offensive name smile I do work with dogs, a few a month, and last year seen about six westies called Hamish, so it's definitely a popular dog name here. It was a name I loved and Angus too, but just couldn't get away from the dog thing (this was years ago before I worked with them lol). Also will it get to you, DH or DS when everyone asks you if you're Scottish?

Izzyathome Sat 14-Jan-17 00:58:29

I really love Hamish. It's up there on our list. We're 50% Scottish but I wouldn't let that be an issue either way, it's a good name.

Having said that all my fav baby names are dogs names I'm told, so possibly I'm not the best person to advise! For what it's worth it would never occur to me that Hamish was a dog's name.

OnMyShoulders Sat 14-Jan-17 01:01:15

Of course you can. My DD would have been a Hamish if she'd been a DS. I'm Scottish but DH is English.

Pluto30 Sat 14-Jan-17 01:14:31

Nothing wrong with using a Scottish name when you're not Scottish. It's well known enough not to be an issue. I know three Hamishs and I'm in Australia...

I don't personally like the name, but there's nothing objectively wrong with it and there's no law to determine that you can only use a name from a particular origin if you're ethnically of that origin too.

GruochMacAlpin Sat 14-Jan-17 01:17:33

There are loads of Amelie's who aren't French. Lots of Angus's who aren't Scottish.

It's a brilliant name. It's just a cooler version of James.

Dogwalks2 Sat 14-Jan-17 01:24:49

My dog is called Skye and all the children that are named Skye adore the fact they share the same name, I'm Scottish but live in England, so mostly English girls called Skye. Choose the name you love, whatever

FastWindow Sat 14-Jan-17 01:32:08

Yes. Why not? You have the advantage of people knowing how it's pronounced. Haymish. Not Hammish.

Not the worst name I've heard by a long chalk.

As I always say on baby names - go with what feels right. He might look like a Robert at birth, but don't let anyone stop what you feel!

MakeItStopNeville Sat 14-Jan-17 01:37:12

You can call your kid whatever you like! But be prepared for a lifetime of Scottish heritage questions!

Beebeeeight Sat 14-Jan-17 11:09:46

No we had a Hamish at school and he got teased for it

Spotsondots Sat 14-Jan-17 19:48:34

We have a Hamish. We live in the south of England. DH has Scottish heritage but a very southern English accent and upbringing. He doesn't get teased and no one says it is a dogs name (never knew this either?!) in fact no one bats an eyelid. If you like a name go for it!

FannyUmbongo Sat 14-Jan-17 19:51:35

Great name.

Whatslovegottodo Sat 14-Jan-17 19:58:40

What about Seamus for the Irish version of James? A lot less of a dog link if that is what bothers you. Obviously you and DS may just be swapping Scotland for Irish questions but I think it's a great name nonetheless.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now