Talk

Advanced search

Boy name Spike?

(59 Posts)
ImYourWomanJonSnow Wed 11-Jan-17 14:27:33

So we're having another boy. With DS1 I have exhausted all boy names that I really like - it's a rare but not a unusually-sounding name if that makes sense, and more commonly used as a surname.

DP suggests Spike, I laughed at first but it's kind of growing on me. What do you think?

sonlypuppyfat Wed 11-Jan-17 14:28:35

Isn't spike a nickname

blankittyblank Wed 11-Jan-17 14:30:12

I really like it! I had it on my list but my partner vetoed smile

RacoonBandit Wed 11-Jan-17 14:30:50

Sorry its a dogs name or a bully boy from a comic.

MrsGB2015 Wed 11-Jan-17 14:31:27

Sorry it's terrible

Decemberrat Wed 11-Jan-17 14:31:27

Press Gang! Press Gang!

strawberrypenguin Wed 11-Jan-17 14:32:37

Honestly? Makes me think Vampire

ImYourWomanJonSnow Wed 11-Jan-17 14:35:39

Decemberrat didn't know about the series, would I have to catch up on it if we decide to go for it (and is it worth watching)?

Gardencentregroupie Wed 11-Jan-17 14:37:24

Even Spike from Buffy wasn't really called Spike, his given name was William

Isitjustmeorisiteveryoneelse Wed 11-Jan-17 14:37:56

Love it! Maybe be biased as DDs have a (youngish) uncle Spike, or Spikey as they call him, he's v v cool. Go for it.

IWantATardis Wed 11-Jan-17 14:38:00

I'd be thinking you were a Buddy the Vanpire Slayer fan.

TheLivingAsheth Wed 11-Jan-17 14:38:28

I'm the first to say how much I love Spike from Buffy but I would still not like it as a child's name.

IWantATardis Wed 11-Jan-17 14:38:36

FFS autocorrect angry

BUFFY the vampire slayer

Decemberrat Wed 11-Jan-17 14:39:47

Press Gang! Press Gang! Press Gang! (Yes, definitely worth watching. But I went to a convention and had nearly as big a crush on Julia Sawalha as I did on Dexter Fletcher - Spike. I might be a tad biased.)

Written by Steven Moffat who has gone on to do Coupling, Dr Who and Sherlock, so good credentials. I flatter myself I had good taste in quality writing even aged 10...

TheLivingAsheth Wed 11-Jan-17 14:40:25

Spike from Press Gang was really James. Spike Milligan was really Terence, Spike from Buffy was really William. Spike from the Discworld is really Adora Belle grin

Decemberrat Wed 11-Jan-17 14:42:25

@TheLivingAsheth, you know Press Gang's Spike was really James! Would you like to be my best friend? My extra special friends get badges...

Thrilled Wed 11-Jan-17 14:44:07

Great as a nickname but not as full name. Maybe sounds a little too try hard?

ImYourWomanJonSnow Wed 11-Jan-17 14:44:11

Spike Milligan was inspiration here...

ImYourWomanJonSnow Wed 11-Jan-17 14:44:36

Thrilled yes that's what I'm worried about...

TheWrathFromHighAtopTheThing Wed 11-Jan-17 14:46:15

Unless you and your husband are named something like Flibertigibbet and Walthamstow, rather than, say, Susan and John, you'd be unreasonable to saddle another person with that name against their will.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Wed 11-Jan-17 14:47:09

No. Not unless you're having a baby dinosaur. grin

TheLivingAsheth Wed 11-Jan-17 14:47:54

grin Go on then @Decemberat, I'm always one for a badge. Especially a Press badge.
I actually am a journalist now and I think Press Gang has something to do with that grin

AmeliaJack Wed 11-Jan-17 14:48:12

No, don't call your child Spike.

This is an adult person you are naming, not a cute baby.

If your DH had to go round for a day telling people his name is Spike, at the doctor's, his accountants, at the bank, completing a CV, speaking to his child's headteacher - would he find it embarrassing?

You are thinking that Spike would be cute for a baby, cool for a teenager. But what about for a graduate applying for a job as a policeman, teacher etc. What about it as a name for a middle aged father of three?

You also have to consider that your kid might not be the cool teenager you imagine. What if he's a shy bookish boy? Is he going to thank you for Spike?

There are a million fantastic names out there. Keep Spike for your guinea pig.

twinjocks Wed 11-Jan-17 14:48:29

I love it - and Spike Milligan would be my first thought too.

ImYourWomanJonSnow Wed 11-Jan-17 14:48:46

TheWrath haha we're definitely not Susan and John. But I hear your point.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now