Talk

Advanced search

Thought & suggestions please?

(16 Posts)
netflixandsleep Sun 08-Jan-17 21:07:55

May I ask for your opinions on these names please? Any suggestions on other names you think I might like would also be greatly appreciated!

Imogen
Lola
Aubrey
Hallie
Romy
Dotty
Libby

Titus
Rory
Leo
Heath
Teddy
Camden
Dexter
Levi
Ziggy

Heratnumber7 Sun 08-Jan-17 21:12:30

Imogen and Rory are my favourites.

INeedNewShoes Sun 08-Jan-17 21:12:38

I think it would be unfair to call your children any of the following:

Dotty
Titus (come on - do you really need us to tell you that they'll be teased mercilessly and called 'tits' constantly)
Ziggy

You could call a DD Dorothy and then use Dotty for a nickname.

Imogen, Lola, Aubrey, Libby, Rory, Leo and Dexter are all a better middle ground between 'a bit different & interesting' and a name that will be easy enough to carry off regardless of personality.

I'm pregnant and have myself vetoed a couple of names from my list because if my child isn't the confident type there is a risk that their name could be used to tease them.

Tescotwister Sun 08-Jan-17 21:15:58

I know it's not now, but I'd assume 'Aubrey' was a boy.
Agree with Dorothy shortened to Dotty.

Camden??!

netflixandsleep Sun 08-Jan-17 21:17:37

@INeedNewShoes - I love your honesty and your thoughts on the name Titus!

That one's getting firmly crossed off the list as I can see that getting stuck in my head and then the poor kid would have me calling him 'Tits' grin

shaggedthruahedgebackwards Sun 08-Jan-17 21:18:52

Imogen is my favourite of your girls names. I'm not particularly keen on the others although like Libby but only if full name is Elizabeth

I like Rory, Leo and love Dexter

INeedNewShoes Sun 08-Jan-17 21:30:54

Netflix - I was rather blunt blush I'm glad to have been helpful though smile

Pixilicious Sun 08-Jan-17 21:37:53

Romy or Rory. Love Romy

Fruitcocktail6 Sun 08-Jan-17 21:44:18

I like most of them. I really dislike Dotty, Titus, Ziggy and Camden (which is surely not a name?)

netflixandsleep Sun 08-Jan-17 21:57:50

@shaggedthruahedgebackwards - Embarrassed to admit I have no idea what Libby was short for so thank you for that!

I went to University with a guy called Camden. I thought it was a Scottish name but now I'm not sure why I think that so I'm quite possibly probably wrong!

Sugarpiehoneyeye Mon 09-Jan-17 14:22:44

Libby (Liberty), or Rory.

piginboots Mon 09-Jan-17 15:56:50

Cameron?

SausageSoda Mon 09-Jan-17 16:49:35

Imogen and Leo are my favourites. I like Teddy but only as a nn e.g. for Edison or Edward.

Hate Levi and Dexter. Ziggy and Titus are just a bit daft imo.

Jooni Mon 09-Jan-17 21:47:39

I like Imogen and Romy best of your girls' names. Libby and Dotty are sweet but IMO they need a longer formal name. How about Kitty, Callie, Ivy, Nola/Nova, Wren?

I love Rory, Leo, Teddy, Dexter and Levi from your boys. Don't like Camden and Heath and I can see where you're coming from on Ziggy and Titus but I think they're too out there and too teaseworthy to actually use.

Pluto30 Mon 09-Jan-17 22:56:18

Imogen - Lovely, the nickname Immy is very sweet

Lola - Love this - probably my favourite on your list, although not overly popular on here

Aubrey - Not a fan. This is traditionally masculine, but I do think it sounds more feminine than masculine. I prefer Audrey.

Hallie - Not a fan.

Romy - Not a fan. I don't know why I don't like this, because I love Remy for a boy.

Dotty - Sweet as a nickname, but doesn't work as a standalone name.

Libby - Again, sweet as a nickname for Elizabeth but not as a full name.

--

Titus - Please don't. It's one letter away from tits, and even if that were a non-issue, it's hugely aspirational and very out of place among your other names

Rory - Love this

Leo - Love this

Heath - This is nice and very underused

Teddy - Dislike. Very popular and very insubstational as a standalone name. It's fine as a nickname for Theodore or Edward though.

Camden - I like this, but it might be odd if you're from the London/greater London/whole of England possibly areas, as the place is very well known. This wouldn't be an association in Australia, the US, Canada etc. so would work well as a name there.

Dexter - I like this but not the association with the TV show (and character!)

Levi - This is seen as a bit "tacky" where I live. blush

Ziggy - Nope. Only worked for David Bowie.

busyrascal Mon 09-Jan-17 23:24:35

Imogen - ok, nn Immy?
Lola - nice
Aubrey - I prefer Audrey
Hallie - Berry
Romy - nice
Dotty - ok but I LOVE Dorothy
Libby - meh

Titus - love
Rory - not sure
Leo - nice but popular
Heath - ledger
Teddy - ok
Camden - no
Dexter - not keen. Too trendy
Levi - like
Ziggy - you need to be cool to pull this off!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now