Talk

Advanced search

Ellis

(24 Posts)
GoulashSoup Sun 08-Jan-17 15:45:35

Give me the pros and cons of Ellis please.

For background DH is Welsh I'm English (ish) currently living in England but plan is to move 'home' as soon as jobs fall into place.

DS is Gethin. We aren't set on a Welsh name but both quite like Ellis. Need something that is obvious for English to pronounce and my mum wont massacre.

Cons are:
Initials will be ET,
Ellis is a bit feminine sounding, could be misheard as Alice, shortened to Elly etc.
Some debate re spelling Ellis/Elis/Elys. From ONS Ellis is the more commonly used spelling in both England and in Wales.
Is it more of a surname used as a first name in an English context and is that 'chavvy', does that bother me?

Just trying to be aware of any issues before we use it. Current back up name is Idris, which we both also like but I have a list of cons there too!

Lovelybangers Sun 08-Jan-17 15:47:25

It could be mistaken for another girls name -Elise

It's a surname to me.

Depends on what your surname is -and if it flows well.

GoulashSoup Sun 08-Jan-17 15:48:59

Surname is a common one in Wales beginning with T. Also ends in s sound, not sure if that affects flow?

EssentialHummus Sun 08-Jan-17 15:49:57

I like it. I don't find it chavvy and don't think ET is a massive issue. Much prefer it to Idris.

Wouldn't use it if your surname ends in S.

ManicPixieDream Sun 08-Jan-17 15:50:08

I know 2 male and 4 female children with this name. I don't think the male children have struggled with it being mistaken for a female name.

wobblywonderwoman Sun 08-Jan-17 15:50:39

An Irish name Eilis is similar and lovely.

(Sounds like ay-lish)

EssentialHummus Sun 08-Jan-17 15:50:40

Cross post. Bah. I'd not like the slant rhyme.

Whyhellodaffodil Sun 08-Jan-17 15:52:43

I love it and would spell it Elis and like it with what I'm guessing you're surname is!

WhiskyTangoFoxtrot Sun 08-Jan-17 15:52:57

I think it's a lovely name, and the only one I know in RL is a boy.

Whyhellodaffodil Sun 08-Jan-17 15:52:58

Argh *your

leccybill Sun 08-Jan-17 15:56:05

Elliott is nice as an alternative.
I like Liam too, you don't hear it much now.

1horatio Sun 08-Jan-17 16:00:20

I'd think of Ellis Island. Which is an association I personally really like.
I love the name and although I know it's a boy's name it does sound quite feminine to me personally (but I'm not Welsh, so...)

ThoraGruntwhistle Sun 08-Jan-17 16:05:22

I think it should be Elis if it's because of the Welsh connection, otherwise wouldn't the double L be pronounced differently?

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Sun 08-Jan-17 16:06:32

I think the Elis spelling makes it more feminine tbh

I like it, ds2 is one!

I saw it on the side of a lorry Ellis and Everard and dh was just so relieved that the name I liked wasn't Everard he was happy to go with it.

Manumission Sun 08-Jan-17 16:08:32

I always think first of Ellis Peters (a woman). In fact, off the top of my head, I can't think of another well known Ellis.

Manumission Sun 08-Jan-17 16:09:45

Of course she called herself that to sound more male. But it's an association nevertheless and I do like it as a girls' name.

ExcellentWorkThereMary Sun 08-Jan-17 16:11:46

I know an 8yr old (male) Ellis. It's a great name.

EdithWeston Sun 08-Jan-17 16:12:25

"I always think first of Ellis Peters (a woman). In fact, off the top of my head, I can't think of another well known Ellis."

Ellis Peters' real name was Edith,, and she chose her pen name, just like Emily Bronte before her, specifically because it is a male name.

Melstarrynight Sun 08-Jan-17 16:13:38

I taught a teen Ellis. He was a little shit challenging but it's a good name.

EdithWeston Sun 08-Jan-17 16:13:58

Sorry about the duplication, manumission - slow typing, which began just after I'd seen your first post (the second hadn't appeared then)

1horatio Sun 08-Jan-17 16:28:01

I saw it on the side of a lorry Ellis and Everard and dh was just so relieved that the name I liked wasn't Everard he was happy to go with it.

That made me chuckle. ;)

GoulashSoup Sun 08-Jan-17 16:39:58

Thank you all, this is helping. We had a girls name all sorted but it's definitely a boy!

I love the Ellis and Everard story grin.

Thora re the spelling, I agree that Elis is probably more technically correct in a purely Welsh setting, but as it will used in an English context too I think Ellis makes more sense. I think it is more likely to be misspelled if we go for Elis than mispronounced if we use Ellis. I think most Welsh people would be familiar with the Anglicised spelling and pronounce it as in Ellis Island, Ellis Brigham, Webb Ellis cup etc... I don't really mind either spelling, just want to choose whichever would need the least correcting. Also as a first name Ellis was more popular than Elis in Wales in 2015 according to ONS.

It does concern me that there are multiple potential spellings though. I thought we had nailed that with DS' name and we still get creative spellings!

ThoraGruntwhistle Sun 08-Jan-17 16:52:14

Fair enough OP, and it's a lovely name whichever way you spell it anyway smile

1horatio Sun 08-Jan-17 16:54:02

I like the name smile we aren't welsh but it's on my list for middle names (yes, for a boy, btw).

Congratulationssmile!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now