Talk

Advanced search

names created after 1900?

(15 Posts)
lawrencecostin Sat 07-Jan-17 15:40:55

Hi
I'm curious as to whether there is broad agreement on any names created after 1900 being considered "legitimate"?

MiladyThesaurus Sat 07-Jan-17 15:47:22

They are completely legitimate as names.

In fact, plenty of more modern names would be considered more legitimate than some of the names that were used before 1900. Wrestling, Has-Descendents and Anger would probably raise some eyebrows on the playground.

lawrencecostin Sat 07-Jan-17 16:20:07

I just asked because some "name nerd" forums I've seen seem to think that post-1900 has nothing "legit" to offer in the way of names.

1horatio Sat 07-Jan-17 16:40:39

It depends on the name. But no, I don't think names created after 1900 aren't legitimate. thesaurus is right.
Abstinence, Faint-Not, Sin-Deny, Small-Hope, Agony, Search-The-Scriptures and ZAPHNAPHPAANEAH.... were used before 1900. grin.
And yet I'd prefer to call DD Arwen or Aragorn wink

reuset Sat 07-Jan-17 17:46:15

Pfft! Who calls themselves a name nerd! Not adults I think.

Some people don't consider names 'proper' without the long traceable history and etymology. Absolute bunkum. Whether we like them or not once they're on the birth cert. they're technically 'legit'.

Just one example. Think of the many now commonplace names invented by authors post 1900.

reuset Sat 07-Jan-17 17:56:04

Yes to the puritan style names, just one example.
I think it's just misguided and misplaced faux snobbery to dismiss anything after C20

MarmiteDoesYouGood Sat 07-Jan-17 18:18:08

For us non-"name-nerds" with no idea of how old most names are, can you give some examples of post-1900 names that may or may not be acceptable?

reuset Sat 07-Jan-17 18:24:10

'Acceptable' and 'legit' is very subjective it would seem. grin OP says the self styled 'name nerds' (shudder) on the forum say nothing since 1900. They sound like a bright bunch!

HoratioNightboy Sat 07-Jan-17 20:35:31

Well, I consider myself a name nerd in that it's a subject I have been obsessed with for years and have to remind myself not to bore other people with. But I don't feel that makes me an authority!

Would love a link to the forums you refer to as I'd like a peek at the type of bollocks they're talking.

In my view all names are legit, and all names are "invented" at some point, so what does it matter how long ago that happened? There are a lot of very pretty names which only came into being in the last 100 years or less, but they are no less acceptable than the older ones, as we see from 1horatio's post (no relation!)

lawrencecostin Mon 09-Jan-17 22:47:00

hi
I read about a modern Australian baby-toddler named Leonie that died which prompted my thread. Of course it's perfectly possible for a modern parent to like an "old" or "dated" name and still use it.. what is dated to one person is fresh to another.

The whole concept of "tryndee" is not objective fact and is merely a way for naming snobs to de-legitimise anything that is too "common" for their worldview.

It's kind of like "Light" in the Doctor Who story Ghost Light who couldn't cope with the fact that Earth was constantly changing and evolving.

Pluto30 Mon 09-Jan-17 22:49:11

Leonie is a French name that likely predates 1900.

It's considered outdated in Australia, however. Leonies all tend to be in their 40s and 50s now.

1horatio Mon 09-Jan-17 23:02:18

Leonie/Léonie is such an 80ies/90ies name in Switzerland.
Just like Sophie, btw.

I've always associated Leonie with names like Léontine and Leonia. Which certainly weren't created after 1900.

RJnomore1 Mon 09-Jan-17 23:03:31

I think Gary is a post 1900 name

lawrencecostin Mon 09-Jan-17 23:33:02

Sorry, i mean reading about the modern Australian baby called Leonie prompted my Leonie and Kylie thread.

"tryndee" is just an easy way to de-legitmise what a self appointed name group does not like. It's also bullshit in that everything is changing and evolving... by insisting on the ways of the past, you write yourself out of a place in the future.

1horatio Mon 09-Jan-17 23:35:01

I admittedly do not particularly like the name Kylie.

Does tryndee stand for... trendy? hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now