Talk

Advanced search

Annika and Hanna

(9 Posts)
whirliebird Sat 07-Jan-17 13:02:17

Are these two names too similar? Do they mean the same thing/come from the same origin? We already have an Annika but we like Hanna as a possible girls name for her sibling. I like the idea of the two names together but don't want two children with, in theory, the same name grin

AlwaysTeaTime Sat 07-Jan-17 13:08:37

Too similar in my opinion- Annika may later get shortened to Anna/Annie whilst at school, and then you'd have Anna and Hanna which will get confusing!
They also both mean grace, although are not from the same origin- one is Hebrew, the other Scandinavian. So they're basically the same name in different languages! You're going to have to keep looking I'm afraid.

whirliebird Sat 07-Jan-17 13:50:00

Thank you. I thought as much confused Although my Annika is nearly 13 and has never been called anything but Annika. Can't have names with the same meaning though! Back to the drawing board! X

1horatio Sat 07-Jan-17 14:02:16

I love both names but they really are very similar. Johanna nn Hanna maybe?

EagleIsland Sat 07-Jan-17 14:36:28

My sister is Anneka, always gets shortened to Annie. I would pronounce it Hannah. I don't think they are too alike

UserOne Tue 10-Jan-17 14:43:35

I have met a few Annikas, but with various spellings and with two different pronunciations. Only ever seen one shortened to Annie.
The link with the same origin could be Arabic, as there is Aniqa/aniqua and also Hanna or Hana. They have different meanings from what I remember.

buttercup54321 Tue 10-Jan-17 23:44:56

Annabelle then Belle for short?

KanyeWesticle Tue 10-Jan-17 23:47:26

Johanna, nn Hanna works. Hanna alone is too close to Annika

northerngirl71 Wed 11-Jan-17 13:12:46

My brothers daughter is Aniqa (polish) and her sibling is Evita . I think that's cute .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now