Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

The name Pippa...

(54 Posts)
WineGate Fri 06-Jan-17 21:28:33

I'm about to pop and I felt set on a name for a girl and I've always loved it. Pippa, not Phillipa! But lately while googling and having a snoop on MN I've noticed it's a bit of a disliked name!

Maybe I'm bias as I've loved this name since childhood but can anyone explain why it's so disliked? I'm not living/from the uk so the Royal association doesn't matter. And lots of people have mentioned that it's slang in many other countries for rude words but this doesn't really bother me. There is lots of other names in different countries/languages which mean something strange/ slang/ dirty in the English language so it doesn't really put me off! smile

reuset Fri 06-Jan-17 21:39:17

Cutesy, insubstantial, not a 'proper' name etc etc I'd imagine. I don't like nick names or short forms as names, usually. Pippa isn't too bad, though.

Pluto30 Sat 07-Jan-17 05:49:35

I like Pippa a lot.

I imagine it's disliked for the same reason as a lot of similar (Poppy, Lily, Daisy, Chloe, Millie etc) names are disliked: they're "twee", "cutesy", "won't work on an adult", "trendy" etc.

I prefer Pippa to Phillipa. Phillipa is frankly awful and horsey sounding.

Prefer Pippa to Poppy too.

smile

InfiniteSheldon Sat 07-Jan-17 05:56:08

I love Pippa

Titsalinabumsquash Sat 07-Jan-17 06:13:17

I love it! I'd probably go for Phillips but call her Pippa or Pip on a day to day basis.

Booklover123 Sat 07-Jan-17 06:17:24

I like it very much, a fresh name.go for it!

Pipsqueak11 Sat 07-Jan-17 06:20:26

I've got a pippa.
I love it of course and so does she like her name over much. She's in a secondary school of around 2000 and there are 2 other pippas in the whole school. In contrast my older Dd has a more 'popular' name and there are 4 of them in her tutor group alone!!
We never call Dd Philippa but I don't dislike the name but just prefer pippa and it suits her character well .

Pipsqueak11 Sat 07-Jan-17 06:21:39

Sorry over should be very. Flipping kindle driving me nuts!

PenelopeFlintstone Sat 07-Jan-17 06:22:25

I like 'Pippa' a lot. I don't think it's too cutesy, personally. Perfectly fine for an adult.

lovelearning Sat 07-Jan-17 06:28:48

WineGate

Give Pippa more options in life

The name on her birth certificate should be Philipa

EvaSthlm Sat 07-Jan-17 06:44:46

Doesn't work well in my country (Sweden), it coincides perfectly with a slang word for 'shag'. Philippa does work well, though.

PossumInAPearTree Sat 07-Jan-17 07:07:47

There's a lot of countries it doesn't work in. It means blowjob in Greek. It's rude in Spanish as well I think.

Glitterous Sat 07-Jan-17 08:38:23

Given that you know the name is rude slang in other countries, wouldn't it be better to register as Philippa so your dd has an option in the future in case she wants to live in Sweden/Greece/Spain etc?

In the UK we (at least initially) snigger at (usually) French women called Fanny.

I do like Pippa btw, dislike of it on Mn is largely due to the slang and falling into the 'cutesy' category (but Florence/Mabel etc are fine apparently....)

1horatio Sat 07-Jan-17 08:57:35

I like Pippa. I think putting Philippa on the bc is better, however.

It gives her more options and doesn't have the risk of future business partners or colleagues from some countries being a bit hmm when they hear/read her full name.

froggers1 Sat 07-Jan-17 09:07:32

I have a Pippa. She's 4. I was very unsure but husband and son were very keen! A week after she was born I came on mumsnet and everyone persuaded me to keep it! I like it now and it suits her and like that there are no others at school..

RussianCoffee Sat 07-Jan-17 09:11:23

I like Pippa.

And I think of it as a name in its own right do fine to have it on the BC (all the Phillipa's I know are called Phil).

MollyHuaCha Sat 07-Jan-17 09:15:47

We live in a world where it's normal to travel - I have lived in several different countries. Don't knowingly burden yr child with a name that's embarrassing in another language!

namechangeforthis123 Sat 07-Jan-17 09:16:16

I love Pippa. I also like Phillipa. I've got a Piper who goes by 'Pip' grin

Shockers Sat 07-Jan-17 09:17:45

I'm a Philippa who is often called Pippa, or Pip. Nobody has ever tried to call me Phil.

I like all the variations of my name.

Shockers Sat 07-Jan-17 09:19:25

I've also been to Greece several times and never had my name sniggered at.

GruffaloPants Sat 07-Jan-17 09:20:53

It means wank in Italian. I think preferable to have flexibility for overseas travel.

Lucked Sat 07-Jan-17 09:21:56

It interesting that it means shag in Swedish, wasn't Pippi Longstocking Swedish?

I like it but also like Phillipa

AmberEars Sat 07-Jan-17 09:22:38

I like Pippa a lot. I know one adult and one 11yo with this name.

Dolwar Sat 07-Jan-17 09:24:11

It's a nice classy name but I would NEVER put the shortened version of a name on the bc as it reduces their options and they will be judged for having a shortened name as their first name.
Put Philippa on the bc and call her Pippa.

AS to what mn people think.....my God have you seen some of the name suggestions on here?!

Yika Sat 07-Jan-17 09:26:26

I like it (better than Philippa though that's OK too).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now