Talk

Advanced search

Claire?

(90 Posts)
AvaBird Fri 06-Jan-17 18:14:24

We've recently found out that we are having a baby girl! I love, love, love the name Claire. We think it's gorgeous, very French sounding and uncommon. Her name would be Claire Victoria. My husband is in love as am I but I wanted to ask your opinions on Claire Victoria. We won't do Victoria Claire because I don't like Vicky or Tori. Her older sisters are Olivia Beatrice and Madeline Laura. Do you think Olivia, Madeline and Claire go well together?

cherrycrumblecustard Fri 06-Jan-17 18:15:15

In a way they do, although on its own I just think "1980s!"

I prefer Clara to be honest.

Pemba Fri 06-Jan-17 18:19:58

I think Claire (or Clare) is gorgeous, but not many little girls are named that these days, probably because it was so popular in the 60s, 70s and 80s. I think it is becoming more popular in America though? Makes a great middle name too.

I prefer it to Clara. Be brave and bring it back!

Pemba Fri 06-Jan-17 18:21:01

Your other DDs have lovely names too.

Lovelongweekends Fri 06-Jan-17 18:23:34

As a Claire myself I hate it! It can't be shortened and there are too many differ ways of spelling it. It also feels very 80's and old fashioned to me.
But if you love it go for it!!

DramaAlpaca Fri 06-Jan-17 18:30:26

I really like it.

I love the sound of Olivia, Madeline and Claire together.

AvaBird Fri 06-Jan-17 18:31:32

I wouldn't do Clara because I don't like the sound of it and think it sounds very milkmaidy! Yes, Pemba it is meant to be getting popular in America and thank you.
I wouldn't mind the no shortenings because I don't do shortenings. It's the full thing or nothing for me.

Kelsey28 Fri 06-Jan-17 18:34:10

I know a baby called Madeline Claire!

tooclosetocall Fri 06-Jan-17 18:35:49

Imo Claire is lovely, Victoria not so much. And Clara (becoming popular and is too much 'try').
Do you have other middle names in a list?

AvaBird Fri 06-Jan-17 18:40:46

Not really, @tooclosetocall!
Frances, Joy, Katherine, Lia, Genevieve, Gloria, Lillie, Charis, Zoe and Kimberly were all considered as middle names but
Claire Frances whilst lovely is very buttoned up for me.
Claire Joy sounds weird
Claire Katherine is a clash of the C/K sound.
Claire Lia doesn't flow.
Claire Genevieve whilst lovely is disliked by DH.
Claire Gloria is nice and a slight contender.
Claire Charis clashes again.
Claire Zoe doesn't flow
Claire Kimberly is lovely but I worry it's too dated.
So, we decided on Claire Victoria!

AlwaysTeaTime Fri 06-Jan-17 18:45:01

Claire is my DDs middle name and we love it! Although I don't think it goes that well with Victoria. Claire Elizabeth? Claire Alexandra? Claire Isabella? Claire Olivia?

OliviaBensonOnAGoodDay Fri 06-Jan-17 18:45:44

I like Claire, but probably because I know a really really lovely one!

GlitterIsTheEnemy Fri 06-Jan-17 18:46:01

I know a Claire Louise. That flows quite well!

AlwaysTeaTime Fri 06-Jan-17 18:46:24

Just seen your post- Claire Victoria is better than all of those IMO but I think you'd be better with a name starting with a vowel for 'flow'

AvaBird Fri 06-Jan-17 18:49:45

@AlwaysTeaTime

I dislike the name's Elizabeth and Alexandra but Isabella's lovely. Olivia, I couldn't do as my oldest is an Olivia.

youngestisapsycho Fri 06-Jan-17 18:51:19

I like Claire, and not used much nowadays so growing up she won't encounter many others... it goes lovely with your other DDs names.

SarcasmMode Fri 06-Jan-17 18:56:17

My sisters Claire Louise - I really like it!

AlwaysTeaTime Fri 06-Jan-17 18:58:01

Ah sorry, I didn't read that far into your OP! In that case, all the names go really well. Have a look at other names with 4 syllables- with a one syllable first name you need something longer for rhythm

Crispbutty Fri 06-Jan-17 18:59:57

I like it! I was named Claire at birth (then adopted) and my mum wanted to call me Victoria but my dad wanted something else and he won smile

Astro55 Fri 06-Jan-17 19:01:17

There's a mums name thread on here - Claire gets uitr a few mentions

Not keen - bit bland - but if you love it - why ask - go for it

coursedarlin Fri 06-Jan-17 19:01:30

I'm a Claire. They will always have to spell their name out if that matters to you at all. Even when replying to emails which clearly has my name in, they still call me Clare or Clair. I'm sure there are other names this is is true of but I always hated not being able to shorten my name when I was younger. Again this might not matter to you.

Ihearthickson Fri 06-Jan-17 19:02:37

Love it. Classy and different.

MikeUniformMike Fri 06-Jan-17 19:05:02

Claire Victoria is lovely. I don't like Clara and Clarissa although nice will end up as Clarrie.

AlwaysTeaTime Fri 06-Jan-17 19:05:17

A few more suggestions:

Claire Emilia
Claire Eliana
Claire Arabella
Claire Ariana
Claire Anastasia
Claire Angelina

Not sure if they're your taste, but I think they work!

ChrissyHynde Fri 06-Jan-17 19:08:49

I've a 17 year old Clare! There's not a lot around which I like .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now