Talk

Advanced search

Rubbish and the hadron collider

(34 Posts)
MrsTerryPratchett Thu 05-Jan-17 23:43:56

Not as names...

But I was told to choose a name based on the idea that your kid should be able to be a bin man/woman or run a hadron collider.

So Dr Althea Smith could work in CERN and Allie Smith could make a living with the Council.

Now I think anyone should be able to anything with any name and that a lot of this is snobbery! But DD did end up with one of these names. Did yours?

Eeeek686 Thu 05-Jan-17 23:50:46

Ha, excellent guidance but sadly I didn't get the memo for DD - think either she uses her middle names for her doctorate, or she's destined for the stage! blushgrin

DS could totally go either way with his selection tho so he's safe. smile

pieceofpurplesky Thu 05-Jan-17 23:53:34

DS sounds like the drummer in a rock band. But could also be very seriously named.

icclemunchy Fri 06-Jan-17 00:25:00

Both my girls have names which could do either I think.

We have Eleanor (Ellie) and Jessica (Jess) although we went for the because we both prefer more classical names rather than any other reason

Pluto30 Fri 06-Jan-17 00:43:18

Looking at my list for DD due in 3 days and thinking there are a couple I should scrap now... blush

But most of them fit the criteria!

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 06-Jan-17 02:52:23

I'm guessing Buffy and Phil.

What are the rejected names?

1horatio Fri 06-Jan-17 07:33:09

Huh, Idk. DD is currently called Chippy/chippie...😊 I tried to insist on Clary but...

Her name is actually Clarissa.

1horatio Fri 06-Jan-17 07:33:51

Not sure about DC2... tbh.

BathshebaDarkstone Fri 06-Jan-17 07:46:02

I would seriously out myself if I listed my DC's names, I don't think any of them would make very good bin men. DS1's an engineer but too ill to work, DD1's doing a PhD in physics, DD2 and DS2 are still at school.

FannyWisdom Fri 06-Jan-17 07:55:52

I was under the impression I had covered flexible careers.

First time my GP called DS in he said ah a baby destined to sell ice creams.

DS hasn't got a van or owt but he does work at tesco. Maybe there was a prophecy.

Donostia Fri 06-Jan-17 08:04:35

We have an Albert.. Dr Albert the Cern bloke or Big Al the bin man! He's currently Bertie so i picture Bertie the interior designer! Maybe Bert the dentist...?!

MollyHuaCha Fri 06-Jan-17 08:47:24

My DCs wd get far as bin people without tweaking their names. We were aspirational in our choices ...

1horatio Fri 06-Jan-17 13:03:51

Well, with DD's current nickname (Chippy/Chip) she'll work at a chippy?

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 06-Jan-17 13:59:09

I think Chippy/Clarissa is the very embodiment of this theory grin

Ice Cream Distribution? Umm... cannot begin to guess.

MollyHuaCha Fri 06-Jan-17 13:59:50

Or run own bespoke furniture making business?

1horatio Fri 06-Jan-17 14:03:53

Right? I still call her Clary. She's so little that... well, maybe the Chippie nn will quietly fade away....? At least they didn't add an 's'... that would be horrible to explain to people.

Well, bespoke furniture isn't that bad. She could be a designer or artist or something... or a carpenter? grin

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 06-Jan-17 15:24:15

Clary is adoracute (as DD says).

1horatio Fri 06-Jan-17 17:39:49

Mrs

Right? I mean, the inlaws? Well, if they insist... but DH? I feel like he should really stick to Clary (which he uses when talking about her but not actually to her... sigh).

BuntyFigglesworthSpiffington Fri 06-Jan-17 17:50:35

First time my GP called DS in he said ah a baby destined to sell ice creams.

Did you call your son Mr Whippy?

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 06-Jan-17 22:39:01

To be fair I call DD Emme-Lemma Ding Dong to her face.

Mr Whippy grin

Dolwar Sat 07-Jan-17 12:07:51

I think it is true in a way. You often get the chavvier names with random spellings in those from lower socio-economic groups who are not destined to be nuclear physicists. Conversely there was someone on here the other day who posted a load of names and someone asked if the child was going to private school based on the names

Gardencentregroupie Sat 07-Jan-17 12:45:43

There is a glamour model with DD's first name, but also a Tory MP, so I would say she's sorted. Still struggling to name (not yet born) DS though.

1horatio Sat 07-Jan-17 12:56:46

The founder of the American redcross was apparently Clarissa 'Clara' Barton. There's a basketball coach in the hall of fame and a celebrity chef.
And there's a character calle Clary in some fantasy novels (there's a movie and a tv show, apparently...).

But Chippie means apparently tramp or prostitute... I can't let them call her Chippie, can I? :000

MrsTerryPratchett Sat 07-Jan-17 15:09:51

Glamour model and Tory MP? Sounds like it fits the bill grin

As Yet Unnamed... we should name according to this theory. Scientific, like!

MrsTerryPratchett Sat 07-Jan-17 15:11:23

Chippie. Also a recreational drug problem according to Urban Dictionary!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now