Talk

Advanced search

Girl name dilemma

(43 Posts)
Mummymooretobe Wed 04-Jan-17 11:20:36

Okay so there's this name for a baby girl name that I just can't get out of my head.
I have heard many negative comments about it and my OH isn't too convinced at the moment. But to me it is just so beautiful, it is a family name, belonged to my great-grandmother and is still a very precious name to my grandma.

The name is Mimosa.
Now I know many people say they immediately think of the "drink" when they hear it.. but it's the Plant/flower she would be named after as was my great grandmother.

I'm thinking of having it as a double barrel name: "Mimosa-Lily Moore" or perhaps even "Mimosa-Lily Jade Moore"

I'm after some ideas for nicknames, as this may be able to convince my husband of this name.
As it's "Mimosa-Lily" I liked the idea of "Milly" as a nickname for her.
Does anyone else have any ideas for a nickname? Or other middle name ideas perhaps?

Thanks in advancesmile

Ilovecaindingle Wed 04-Jan-17 11:23:30

Mimosa and her samosa
Sorry. .

mummydawn07 Wed 04-Jan-17 11:33:53

it's not a bad name but as the pp said, it will probably get your daughter a lot of stick when she gets older, just keep saying it and using it see how you feel.. as for milly I can't say that I personally like it but that's only because of all the little girls I've met called milly/millie they haven't been very pleasant children, but I am not saying there is anything wrong with it.

mummydawn07 Wed 04-Jan-17 11:34:51

don't like it, not like it wish we could edit posts

KERALA1 Wed 04-Jan-17 11:36:48

I would use it as a middle name. Its a tough one to carry off. I had a similar out there name in mind for DD1 and looking at her now (elegant, careful, self conscious, bookish 10 year old) I thank god I didnt use it as she would have hated it.

KERALA1 Wed 04-Jan-17 11:38:02

Plus she will presumably have a surname beginning with M too if its Moore? No I really wouldn't in that case, sorry.

Beewhisperer Wed 04-Jan-17 11:40:29

I agree that it is hard to carry off and immediately thought of the drink.
I do quite like Mim as a nickname though if you do decide to go with it.

Mummymooretobe Wed 04-Jan-17 11:42:58

Yes as said in the post it would be Mimosa-Lily Moore

LobsterQuadrille Wed 04-Jan-17 11:49:33

Nickname Mimi? It's certainly unusual without being awful. It does conjure up an image of someone quite twee, though.

Nottalotta Wed 04-Jan-17 12:16:21

Didn't think of a drink, but of the flower. Itspretty and I quite like Mim or Mims as a nn, though I think people would assume miriam.

NapQueen Wed 04-Jan-17 12:17:40

Mimi is miles better than Mimosa.

I think it's a hormonal thing tbh. I was certain I was going to call my son fox. Thank fuck I waited a while after he was born and the hormones settled

Elroya1 Wed 04-Jan-17 12:23:47

I do like the sound of the possible nicknames, but the original name not so much. Is there no other name you would settle on, perhaps one with M? Marie, Mery, etc?

Gentlelope Wed 04-Jan-17 12:36:05

I think it is rather elegant and lovely. Perfumes with mimosa in smell sweet and warm and I associate the name with that. Mimi, Immy or Ima would be nice nicknames.

For a middle name what about something like Mimosa Frances, Mimosa Juliet, Mimosa Jean.

Sophronia Wed 04-Jan-17 13:49:26

I wouldn't double barrel it. Just keep it as Mimosa.

MiniMaxi Wed 04-Jan-17 14:11:40

Lovely flower, lovely drink! Mimi is a sweet nickname when she's little. Agree with previous posters: Mimosa rather than double barrelling.

MrsMeeseeks Wed 04-Jan-17 15:04:57

I like Mimosa a lot, but I think it's rather unwieldy when double-barreled.

Ilovewillow Wed 04-Jan-17 15:10:09

It makes me think of the flower and I think it's pretty. I wouldn't double barrel it with Lily though as it sounds a little too much. I would just keep Lily as a middle name.

TheWrathFromHighAtopTheThing Wed 04-Jan-17 15:21:39

It would have sounded lovely and elegant, say, in the 1940s, but I've got visions of it being yelled across the park and all the other parents thinking 'what the hell did they call that poor child?'.

CakeRattleandRoll Wed 04-Jan-17 16:12:28

I like it. I thought of the flower, haven't heard of the drink. But I wouldn't double barrel it - that is quite a mouthful. Mimosa Moore works nicely, I like the alliteration. And if you use Lily as a middle name, you could still have Milly as nn, or Mim/Mimi.

BellMcEnd Wed 04-Jan-17 16:14:26

I like it but I definitely would NOT hyphenate it with Lily.

Mimosa on its own is great, Mimosa Lily (as a middle name) is fine. Mimosa-Lily is clumsy.

MrsCaecilius Wed 04-Jan-17 16:23:13

Makes me think if the flower too and I like it. Not hyphenated with Lily though. Really dislike that and feel it changes the tone from feminine and unusual to one of the Lily-Mae/Lily-Rose type of names (a bit generic).

Sugarpiehoneyeye Wed 04-Jan-17 17:23:34

Mimosa is a pretty name, I think of the flower.
I'm not sure if I like it as a first name though.
Mimosa Lily as a full name, could be a bit much, but hey OP, it's your call.
Nick names could be MiMi, Mim, or Milly !

reuset Wed 04-Jan-17 17:29:40

No, and definitely not with the hyphen. Just call her Milly if you like Milly.

Raines100 Wed 04-Jan-17 17:40:34

It's not for me as I just think of the drink. Mimi is a very cute nn, though.

If you go for it, don't double-barrel. It sounds clumsy.

MitzyLeFrouf Wed 04-Jan-17 17:42:08

I agree with the pp who said it would suit a character in a 1940s set novel. Like Calypso in The Camomile Lawn.

If you do use it definitely do not double barrel it! Sounds terribly clunky. Mim and Mimi are cute nicknames.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now