Talk

Advanced search

I thought we were decided..

(26 Posts)
Jojo13 Fri 30-Dec-16 19:48:08

9 weeks left and the ONLY boys name I really like is Elliot. But I'm having a wobble because it seems to get mentioned a lot on here and I've heard a few recently. I don't want a name that becomes fashionably popular..
I have a Zachary already. I don't want anything too much a mouthful with that.
Other names I quite like (but not enough to go for) -
Samuel
William
Rueben (doesn't go with surname)

I don't mind well used traditional names but the others I like seem to be fashionable at the moment so don't want to go for (Theo, Finn,) so I guess I'm looking for something a bit more unusual.

I've been trawling this page for my entire pregnancy and haven't found anything that could be a serious contender! Help!!!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 30-Dec-16 19:51:23

Elliot is fine.

Sophronia Fri 30-Dec-16 20:06:06

Suggestions...

Aaron
Asher
Austin
Bennett
Caleb
Calvin
Elias
Elijah
Ellis
Evan
Jude
Josiah
Jonah
Lucas
Leo
Miles
Marcus
Matthew
Nathaniel
Seth
Solomon
Ezra
Tobias
Ethan
Gabriel
Jasper
Jesse
Joel
Casper
Ralph

Sugarpiehoneyeye Fri 30-Dec-16 20:19:04

Zachary and Ralph
Zachary and Leon
Zachary and Daniel
Zachary and Max
Zachary and Elias
Zachary and Benedict
Zachary and Joseph

OohhThatsMe Fri 30-Dec-16 20:20:32

Elliott is nice, but Eliot is nicer, and Louis is even nicer grin

Jojo13 Fri 30-Dec-16 20:20:44

Thanks Sophronia there's a couple in there I like, and sugarpie I love Max but my OH doesn't..

Nonameyet1 Fri 30-Dec-16 21:10:06

I'd go with Elliot, even though names get talked about a lot it doesn't mean they necessarily get used and may not be in your area.

Purplebluebird Fri 30-Dec-16 21:11:26

I like Elliot!

buttercup54321 Fri 30-Dec-16 21:12:59

Thomas, James, Scott, Ben, Ryan, Michael, Matthew, Hugh, Seth, Oliver, Oscar, Logan. Riley, Aaron, Adam, Charlie, Daniel, Nicholas, Brendan. Jacob, Brinton, Julian, Marcus. Lee, Levi, Vincent, Paul Mason Luke Caleb Zayne Craig, Harry Henry William Byron Toby David Rory Lewis Elias Ray Callum Wayne Karl Ronnie Alfie Terry

Pluto30 Fri 30-Dec-16 21:16:32

I think certain names are just popular on MN and aren't representative of what is actually popular.

For example, the name Ottilie... Very popular on here, but I had never heard of it before coming to this forum and it's certainly not statistically popular.

Elliot is in the top 100, but it's not overly popular. I doubt it'll increase rapidly in popularity. I'd wager a guess that it'll remain a well known, but sparsely used, name.

Shylo Fri 30-Dec-16 21:20:16

Elliott has been on a few threads in the past few days along with Elijah, which makes it seem very popular when outside of mumsnet my 7 year old Elijah is still the only one I know, and his friend Elliot is the only one of them we know too smile

Stick to your choice OP

Jojo13 Fri 30-Dec-16 21:30:58

Ah thanks everyone, I'm probably overthinking it! Well known sparsely used is what I'm after Pluto. and I do love it, I don't think I will find anything that ticks as many boxes so I guess silly to not go with it, just because it may become popular.
Thanks

DramaAlpaca Sat 31-Dec-16 00:43:10

Elliot is lovely. I've only ever met a couple so I don't think it's overly popular at all.

It goes really well with Zachary too.

MooseyMouse Sat 31-Dec-16 04:02:17

Felix or Rufus?

Sierra259 Sat 31-Dec-16 04:53:30

I know 2 under 10's called Elliot. They live at opposite ends of the country. I don't think it's massively common at all and it's a lovely name.

user1477282676 Sat 31-Dec-16 04:55:43

You can't go wrong with William. I personally feel a bit meh about Eliot...reminds me too much of ET and I do think it's very popular. Along the same lines as Sophie and Ellie.

Laineymc7 Sat 31-Dec-16 04:57:43

I love Elliot I'd stick with it.

Chelazla Sat 31-Dec-16 05:00:18

I work in a school of 400 not one Elliot!

Littlelegs19 Sat 31-Dec-16 05:05:08

I love Elliott. When we found out we were having a boy, Elliott was in our top 3 names along with Max. In the end we chose something else. I think I would have gone with Elliott had it not been for husband not being 100%. Go for it, it's a lovely name and personally I don't know of any smile

IWantATardis Sat 31-Dec-16 05:33:05

I think you're overthinking things about Elliot. I've only ever come across one Elliot (about 3 yr old).

William, on the other hand, is one of the top 10 boys names in England and Wales. Great name, but not "well known sparsely used".

septembersunshine Sat 31-Dec-16 09:42:29

Popularity can be regional op. I think your over thinking this. If you love the name then use it. We have a Jack but in his school there were far more William, Oliver's and Harry's. No other jacks! I really don't think Elliot is that popular....sime names get mentioned on here more then others but this in no way reflects real life!

applecharlotte Sat 31-Dec-16 09:44:06

We couldn't chose between Elliot and Albie. We ended up with Albie but love Elliot!

SarahOoo Sat 31-Dec-16 09:59:21

I so wanted to go with a baby name that isn't popular as I'm an 80s baby and called Sarah. We are having a girl and while it's not in the top ten we are going with Charlotte....if you like it just go with it. You can't get more common than being in your 30s and called Sarah and I cope fine 😄😀

sj257 Sun 01-Jan-17 22:38:02

I was set on Elliot for a while but I knew of 4 just from my workplace (I work with kids), so changed my mind

JudgeJudySheidlin Sun 01-Jan-17 22:50:35

My son has a hugely popular name yet in all his 21 years, he's never been friends with another with the same name & wasn't at school with another of the same name until he was 13. The name Elliott was very popular around here when my son was born, but again I only personally know of two (ages 22 & 16).

Honestly I wouldn't worry about a name if you truly like it. I still love my son's name & it suits him perfectly even now. Who cares if it appears every other little boy under 10 has the same name as his!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now