Talk

Advanced search

How do we double-barrel this surname?

(38 Posts)
namingababy Thu 29-Dec-16 10:57:57

I have NCed and will probably end up getting this deleted, but it's not possible to explain the issue without putting the names.

My surname is 'Olivier' and DP's is 'du Berry'. How would you double-barrel DP's surname? He has no idea...

Would it just be Olivier-du Berry/du Berry-Olivier??? I just think that looks a bit weird!

Thanks.

OneWithTheForce Thu 29-Dec-16 10:58:49

I think Olivier- Du Berry sounds better.

originalmavis Thu 29-Dec-16 11:00:28

Is there a convention? Wife name first then husband's name?

Spam88 Thu 29-Dec-16 11:00:35

Agree that Olivier Du Berry is better. Maybe would drop the hyphen too?

namingababy Thu 29-Dec-16 11:05:19

What do you mean, originals?

We were just confused how to hyphen 'du Berry' and wondered if you just put it like any other name, just seems a bit strange with the hyphen, but seems odd without it too IMO, Spam as it kind of makes it look like 3 names!

DollyPlastic Thu 29-Dec-16 11:08:51

I think if you do Du Berry-Olivier it will be easier to find names that go with it for future DCs.

namingababy Thu 29-Dec-16 11:09:47

This is for our DC due in January btw

gettingtherequickly Thu 29-Dec-16 11:40:36

You could use Olivier as a second middle name.

originalmavis Thu 29-Dec-16 12:10:21

I thought there was a 'set' order if barrelling. I'm probably wrong though. I know people with 2 surnames and they don't hyphenate.

I also know Al-, Del-, etc and they don't hyphenate either.

senua Thu 29-Dec-16 12:20:01

Is this one of those occasions where it is better to start again and reinvent yourselves. Design your own surname that will be common to both parents and the DC.
It makes life much simpler if you all have the same name.

passingthrough1 Thu 29-Dec-16 12:40:18

I think Olivier Du Berry is quite nice actually. If our names had gone together like that I would definitely have put them together. I don't like double barrelled with hyphens, without looks so much nicer.

Barefootcontessa84 Thu 29-Dec-16 12:47:07

No need to hyphenate at all. Olivier du Berry (small 'd' for the 'du') seems the obvious combination / totally fine.

GinAndOnIt Thu 29-Dec-16 13:09:24

Could you do Olivier du'Berry? Or Olivier d'Berry? I know someone with a two surnames and the second starting d' and it's lovely. I think your surnames together sound gorgeous OP.

crje Thu 29-Dec-16 13:20:27

It sounds long ,is this how
it will be pronounced,
Oh live e air du Berry ?

Could Olivier be a second name.
Have ye names chosen to fit with the last name?

IAmNotTheOneWhoKnocks Thu 29-Dec-16 13:23:05

No need to hyphenate at all. Olivier du Berry (small 'd' for the 'du') seems the obvious combination / totally fine.

100% agree with Barefoot here. I'm not a fan of hyphenated surnames. And lots of countries in the world don't do it!

[Name] Olivier du Berry sounds nice.

ChickenPoop Thu 29-Dec-16 13:33:43

I'd probably drop the du and just have Olivier Berry.

FurryDogMother Thu 29-Dec-16 13:35:00

Olivier du Berry is just the most brilliant surname ever. I love it smile

luckiestgirl Thu 29-Dec-16 13:39:41

Olivier du Berry sounds great

Biscuitsneeded Thu 29-Dec-16 13:42:22

Olivier du Berry is an awesome surname.

SausageSoda Thu 29-Dec-16 13:45:21

Olivier du Barry sounds like the surname of a cad from a Jackie Collins novel. It's fab - I love it.

OSETmum Thu 29-Dec-16 13:59:26

I think it sounds lovely either way, not sure why people think you should change it!

Sophronia Thu 29-Dec-16 14:19:02

Olivier du Berry, no hyphen

mistermagpie Thu 29-Dec-16 14:27:21

Olivier du Berry (no hyphen) sounds fabulous! I wish it was my surname.

du Berry Olivier is nowhere near as nice and looks a bit odd because of the lower case-upper case-upper case thing.

Either way you don't need a hyphen.

TeachingPostQuery Thu 29-Dec-16 14:27:36

I'm going to go the other way - I think Olivier du Berry sounds like a full name in itself and it wouldn't be clear if the DC had two first names or two surnames. I think Jane du Berry Olivier sounds better. (Clearly on my own with that one though!)

PaperdollCartoon Thu 29-Dec-16 14:30:49

OriginalMavis
The woman's surname is more usually put first, but there's no law or set rules, you can do what you like.

Olivier du Berry sounds great to me, the other way doesn't flow as well.

My friend's surname is Newberry le Vay, for the same reason, which is also an excellent name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now