Talk

Advanced search

Christian?

(23 Posts)
casey101 Sat 24-Dec-16 11:51:54

Hi guys
What do you think of Christian for a boy?
I know it may get shortened to Chris which im not keen on, although apparenty Xian is a nickname too? No idea how you'd pronounce that though.
Anyway back to the point! do you like the name or not and why?
Thank you!

SausageSoda Sat 24-Dec-16 12:11:36

I went to primary school with a boy called Christian - his name was never shortened but I don't know if it was when he went to big school. His dad was a minister though. Are you a Christian? Not sure if it actually matters though.

Bananalanacake Sat 24-Dec-16 12:14:05

I love it as it's my DP's name. It is very popular in Germany and Denmark, do you have family from there? Go for it if you like it.

missyB1 Sat 24-Dec-16 12:14:12

My nephew is called Christian I love it! Mind you he was born on Christmas Day!
Actually I also know a woman also called Christian.

casey101 Sat 24-Dec-16 13:04:20

Thanks everyone I'm not a Christian, more agnostic/ spiritual. Due date is on a Sunday though! Also he might be going to a Catholic 'big school' as his dad was catholic and its the nearest one to us! His Dad is of very distant Swiss poss German origin although we're not together so I am not purposely 'honouring him' although funnily enough an ex was called Chris. I like that it's a used name in most of the countries in the world, well not most but a lot. His middle name will begin with J so suppose he could be CJ for short?

FourToTheFloor Sat 24-Dec-16 13:06:29

I really like it and like it shortened to Chris too.

mrscrocopop Sat 24-Dec-16 15:29:50

Love that name. CJ is cute too. Not keen on Chris though; although at least he will have lots of choices as an adult!

MoodyBox Sat 24-Dec-16 16:22:18

I'm not keen personally - think it sounds a bit prissy, maybe? Not a terrible name though, and you could use nn Kit which is cute.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 24-Dec-16 16:40:17

I know two Christians - 40 yo and 16 yo, neither shortened. I like it.

Sophronia Sat 24-Dec-16 16:48:54

I like it with Kit for short

DeepAndCrispAndEvenTheWind Sat 24-Dec-16 16:52:13

I like it. Know one, he is never shortened.

I'd pronounce Xian as "zhun", I think!

MollyHuaCha Sat 24-Dec-16 16:52:42

It's a lovely name.

littlemissM92 Sat 24-Dec-16 16:54:27

My partner is christian and it's never shortened I like it smile

dementedma Sat 24-Dec-16 17:06:15

I love it

Sugarpiehoneyeye Sat 24-Dec-16 17:25:15

I like Kristian (Kit).

casey101 Sat 24-Dec-16 17:48:22

Thanks everyone. That's a point- C or K spelling? Think I like C best. I like Kit as a nickname but couldnt imagine actually using it, although thought that was a nickname for Christopher and not Christian? An ex was called Chris so not sure if that would be a bit weird? Also yes I did wonder if it sounded a bit square/ safe. I also like Cai as a name/nickname but he has a distant half brother Kai so that's out.

DeepAndCrispAndEvenTheWind Sat 24-Dec-16 19:22:09

C not K.

Pluto30 Sat 24-Dec-16 20:09:23

Objectively, I like it.

However, I think it's sort of an odd name to use if you're not religious. It's like naming your child Jesus or Moses. It's so heavily connected with the religion that everyone will assume you're religious even if you're not.

If you choose it, go with the Christian spelling. Kristian is setting him up for a life time of misspellings unless you live in Eastern Europe or Scandinavia.

Heratnumber7 Sat 24-Dec-16 20:15:22

I think it's a bit odd if you're not a Christian, though I love the name.

X is an abbreviation for Christ, so Xian is also pronounced Christian, as Xopher is pronounced Christopher.

MikeUniformMike Sun 25-Dec-16 18:29:35

Don't like it. Also it gets pronounced Krishjun which I don't like instead of Krisd-yun. Xian is just a way of writing it. Like Christmas written as Xmas, or Xina Aguilera.
Pick another name.

lovelearning Sun 25-Dec-16 18:39:48

That's a point- C or K spelling?

Use the traditional spelling.

Christian.

Nickname CJ.

SorenaJ Mon 26-Dec-16 10:25:25

Love it

Laquila Mon 26-Dec-16 10:28:01

I like it. I know one who uses Christo for short (quite posh though).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now