Talk

Advanced search

Brooklyn or Madison?

(92 Posts)
IamJennie Fri 23-Dec-16 21:11:28

We need a name that's related to New York. These are our favourite 2 smile which 1 would you pick? Brooklyn or Madison?

Heratnumber7 Fri 23-Dec-16 21:12:41

Neither not helping, sorry
Is it for a boy or girl?

IamJennie Fri 23-Dec-16 21:15:05

It's going to be 1 of them. I'm not silly - I know they're not liked, but it's for her birth mum. It's for a girl smile

Pluto30 Fri 23-Dec-16 21:17:01

Madison.

Brooklyn is truly awful, and the area of Brooklyn, NY isn't much better.

SausageSoda Fri 23-Dec-16 21:18:04

Liberty is much better if you really need a name relating to NYC

Or Chelsea which I don't like but is better than Brooklyn or Madison imo.

ArseyTussle Fri 23-Dec-16 21:18:06

Sorry, I don't understand. Is this a name you're giving your daughter as a favour to her birth mother?

Neither of them are to my taste, but Madison is definitely better, and the NN of Maddie is lovely.

Blacksox Fri 23-Dec-16 21:18:32

Neither - they're both worse than awful.

IamJennie Fri 23-Dec-16 21:19:35

We don't like Liberty - we have been through them all smile Brooklyn and Madison are our favourites... Yes, it's for her birth mother.

SuffolkingGrand Fri 23-Dec-16 21:19:36

Wot blacksox said

Keepingupwiththejonesys Fri 23-Dec-16 21:19:41

Madison, its not a name I'd use but I think its quite nice. Brooklyn seems more for a boy and I'm not keen on it either way.

IamJennie Fri 23-Dec-16 21:20:28

How is that helpful? Seriously? hmm if you're just going to say the same thing, just don't. I've told you the reason, so don't be spiteful.

Keepingupwiththejonesys Fri 23-Dec-16 21:20:49

Liberty is awful!

declansyellowsocks Fri 23-Dec-16 21:22:24

I think of Brooklyn as a boys' name because of the Beckhams.

Madison is fine for a girl, though - I know a very elegant woman called Madison and she carries off the name well.

Keepingupwiththejonesys Fri 23-Dec-16 21:23:22

Don't worry op, people have different tastes and some people are just rude about it. Fair enough to say you don't like a name, I don't like Brooklyn, but no need to be rude.

Madison isn't awful IMO, again, not a name I'd use but I definitely wouldn't think it was awful for others to use. Also agree Maddie as a nickname is nice

IamJennie Fri 23-Dec-16 21:23:53

DH likes Brooklyn (he likes the idea of Brooke as a NN) but I must admit, I do prefer Madison (Maddie as a NN) smile

SausageSoda Fri 23-Dec-16 21:24:19

Yes, Liberty is terrible but it's still much better than Brooklyn or Madison grin

Madison then if it's a choice between the two.

DramaAlpaca Fri 23-Dec-16 21:24:46

I'd go for Madison.

Keepingupwiththejonesys Fri 23-Dec-16 21:25:11

I have a neice names Brooke and really like that name but really do think Brooklyn is better suited as a boys name. Would you consider Brooke as the name? If not I'd say go with Madison

IamJennie Fri 23-Dec-16 21:26:11

To be honest, it may be her middle name - we still need to decide that with her birth mother.

IamJennie Fri 23-Dec-16 21:27:10

It really has to be New York related - I don't think Brooke would be good enough.

Helloooooitsme Fri 23-Dec-16 21:28:11

Sorry I don't understand what you mean by its for her birth mother. Do you have a say in the name or not?

SausageSoda Fri 23-Dec-16 21:28:45

If this is a surrogacy why is the birth mother getting to dictate the baby's name? It's one thing if you want to name her something to honour her but another if it's being forced on you. I'm not entirely clear if it is though from your posts so I could be wrong.

Whatslovegottodo Fri 23-Dec-16 21:29:06

OP I am guessing you are American? Do be aware this site has very UK based members and the naming trends are different here.
I think Brooke or Maddie are lovely nicknames, for what's it's worth.

Whatslovegottodo Fri 23-Dec-16 21:30:11

I'm guessing it's an 'at birth voluntary adoption' which is something that happens commonly in US, but not UK.

Waltermittythesequel Fri 23-Dec-16 21:30:21

Forgive me for being dense, but if you're adopting this child and doing something for the birth mother, it's a nice gesture but why does she have to be so involved in the decision?

Nothing wrong with saying "we're naming her X Madison Smith" and letting that be it.

Isn't it your decision?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now