Talk

Advanced search

How do people feel about "fiction" names?

(57 Posts)
BeingATinselTwatItsABingThing Wed 21-Dec-16 19:29:49

So someone I know has just named her son after a character from Lord of the Rings. It's not a name I have ever heard used elsewhere and I know she loves LOTR a lot.

I think the name is quite nice but I'm just not sure how I feel about naming a child obviously after a character from a book/film. There have been names I have liked but wouldn't use because I think people would immediately know its from a book/film and think I am a nutter.

What do you all think?

sooperdooper Wed 21-Dec-16 19:34:32

People have always been named after fictional characters, JM Barrie made up Wendy and that's just seen as a normal name now smile

FranKatzenjammer Wed 21-Dec-16 19:37:36

I knew someone who named her son Levin after the character in Anna Karenina- gorgeous name.

UnicornPee Wed 21-Dec-16 19:37:44

Wendy is a nickname for Gwen / Gwendoline and always had been.

It isn't a fictional name.

Lucked Wed 21-Dec-16 19:43:43

James Fenimore Cooper made up the name Cora in the Last of the Mohicans book.

My parents almost called me Arwen which I wouldn't have minded.

ArseyTussle Wed 21-Dec-16 19:44:42

Depends what it is. Viola, yes. Noddy, no.

UnicornMortificado Wed 21-Dec-16 20:08:57

My daughters named after a well known comic book character... Recently brought out a new movie so I suspect its about to become much more common. bet you can all guess what she's called now xD

If it's a nice name what's the problem? I would imagine you would struggle to find someone who's name wasn't in at least one book/film somewhere?

Can we be nosey and know the name?

Kim82 Wed 21-Dec-16 20:11:27

I know a family with a Genevieve, Rohan and Faine (all adults now). I think they're all LOTR related aren't they?

smEGGnogg Wed 21-Dec-16 20:15:15

There's an Yvaine in my dd's class from the novel Stardust (it's also a film but she is named after the book so her parents have said)

CancellyMcChequeface Wed 21-Dec-16 20:17:10

I don't see a problem with it, as long as the name is recognisable and pronounceable as a name and doesn't belong to an evil character.

So, not F'lar, Drizzt, Renesmee, Voldemort or Cthulhu. Names like Arwen and Sansa are fine in my opinion, though, even if they're heavily associated with the character.

sooperdooper Wed 21-Dec-16 20:20:34

*Wendy is a nickname for Gwen / Gwendoline and always had been.
It isn't a fictional name*

Oh I always thought it was but a bit of googling tells me it was just made more popular after Peter Pan

BeingATinselTwatItsABingThing Wed 21-Dec-16 20:22:12

The name is Peregrine (NN Pippin).

BurningBridges Wed 21-Dec-16 20:22:32

My youngest DD is named after a LOTR character, however, I made sure it was a real name first of all. I did consider Kirith for a boy which is also from LOTR but which isn't a real name - anyway, as long as its not ridiculous then why not?

BurningBridges Wed 21-Dec-16 20:23:07

Peregrine is a real name.

BeingATinselTwatItsABingThing Wed 21-Dec-16 20:23:29

I would just worry about the child being unfairly judged by their name.

BurningBridges Wed 21-Dec-16 20:23:50

Its a bit like saying you don't like names out of the bible.

BeingATinselTwatItsABingThing Wed 21-Dec-16 20:24:17

It's not one I have heard used anywhere else.

I'm not saying it's not a real name, just easily associated with LOTR.

HOHOHOvariesBeforeBrovaries Wed 21-Dec-16 20:25:03

My daughters named after a well known comic book character... Recently brought out a new movie so I suspect its about to become much more common. bet you can all guess what she's called now xD

Please tell me your daughter is called Deadpool. Parenting done RIGHT. grin

(Harley? Diana?)

Maverickismywingman Wed 21-Dec-16 20:25:07

Lorna was a name made up by R.D Blackmore (as a fem version of Lorne).

People are naming babies Khalessi and things as well, so I suppose whatever is popular/aspirational are becoming the next generations names. I think the way language has changed and morphed is quite interesting

everythingis Wed 21-Dec-16 20:25:32

I know a kid called Hawkeye. Do I win?

BurningBridges Wed 21-Dec-16 20:28:33

everything - yes, go on then.

I'm so old I remember Peregrin being a name in use, although never exactly common, its nice. Esp. Pip or Pippin.

YellowCrocus Wed 21-Dec-16 20:28:49

Only Rohan is from LOTR from that list. My DD has a character associated middle name, though quite an obscure one. I love Arwen, Eowyn, Sansa, Arya etc.
UnicornMortificado, is DD a Harley, by any chance?

BeingATinselTwatItsABingThing Wed 21-Dec-16 20:31:06

Hmm... Maybe I'm overthinking it.

Lireal Wed 21-Dec-16 20:32:27

I think you are overthinking this. It's not really any of your business what anyone names their kid.

YellowCrocus Wed 21-Dec-16 20:32:37

Genevieve, Rohan and Faine - only Rohan is from LOTR. All great names though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now