Talk

Advanced search

To wonder why Gemma is currently so unpopular? What do you think of the name?

(132 Posts)
1horatio Sat 17-Dec-16 11:27:58

I had to stay up yesterday evening and to keep me awake I started thinking about baby names for our 2nd child (I'm not pregnant yet, but depending on some developments we may start trying again after Christmas...).

Anyhow, I really like the name Gemma. It really works with my Italian heritage, the Italian part of the family could pronounce that one, it sounds lovely and I don't think there would be any issues with it in the UK (or am I wrong?).

So, do you like Gemma?

Maverickismywingman Sat 17-Dec-16 11:30:38

I think Gemma is a lovely name. May be shortened to Gem, but I think that makes it special too.

ProseccoPoppy Sat 17-Dec-16 11:35:03

I'm not a big fan - don't hate it but wouldn't be my choice. There were two unpleasant Gemmas in my class when I was at school though which has probably spoilt the name for me. I do love Jemima though which I think is more classic (and was on my list for DD).

1horatio Sat 17-Dec-16 11:38:04

I was just really surprised when I saw this:

names.darkgreener.com/#gemma

Seems like it's super uncommon nowadays for little girls.

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Sat 17-Dec-16 11:39:05

Makes me think of Gemma from Sons Of Anarchy, bit possessive and murder-y.

cherrycrumblecustard Sat 17-Dec-16 11:40:41

It's very 80s/early 90s. It was my favourite name when I was six or seven. I had a doll called Gemma.

Raines100 Sat 17-Dec-16 11:40:45

It won't be popular, because lots of us having babies now went to school with a Gemma or two. It's a name for an eighties baby!

It's a lovely sounding name, OP. No reason for you not to choose it if you don't have those associations. But for me personally- yeah, I went to school with one who wasn't very nice, blah, blah, blah, etc.

KoalaDownUnder Sat 17-Dec-16 11:41:10

I don't dislike it, but it's very dated to my ears.

Gemma was quite popular when I was at school (Australia, 1980s), so I think of it as a 'mum' name.

yeOldeTrout Sat 17-Dec-16 11:43:06

That's a fun graph to play with.
It only looks so dramatic because Gemma was so popular 20 yrs ago.
The name Edith looks like it's had a reverse experience, from almost nobody to very popular, but when you look at the actual % now, it's about the same as Gemma, so just as popular.

I know an 8yo Gemma. And many adults!! Doesn't seem uncommon to me.

CashelGirl Sat 17-Dec-16 11:45:10

I love Gemma and I know lots of lovely Gemma's. If it works for you, and you love it, then don't let other people's opinions put you off. Xx

1horatio Sat 17-Dec-16 11:45:23

the first time I ever met a Gemma was when I came to the UK.

Beautiful and really smart woman. Also very intelligent. So, I guess I just have very positive associations with the name. And I think it would work with the name of DD. so, of DC2 will be a girl... ;)

KatherinaMinola Sat 17-Dec-16 11:50:01

Very beautiful name, especially if half Italian. As PP say, only unpopular now because it hit a peak in the mid-80s and so now seems rather dated/unfashionable.

1horatio Sat 17-Dec-16 11:53:19

Oh... DD isn't half Italian. My nonna is Italian, so... DD would be 1/8.

But I grew up in a town with a pretty big Italian community (Italian church, Italian shops, Italian wedding dress sellers etc) and it's DM's native language. So, despite being quite far removed from Italy I still speak Italian, am very close to my Italian family (I think I'm closer to the Italian part than to any other, tbh...)

cornflowerblu Sat 17-Dec-16 11:56:55

I think it's a beautiful name

lokisglowstickofdestiny1 Sat 17-Dec-16 11:57:17

Nothing wrong with the name at all. It isn't a classic name though so just isn't fashionable at the moment.

whatishappeninghey Sat 17-Dec-16 11:58:52

I think its a lovely name. I know a couple of Gemma's who are in their 30's but i still think it would be nice now for a newborn

PaperdollCartoon Sat 17-Dec-16 12:04:13

I'm 29 and was at school with a few Gemma's, definitely for an 80s baby. But it's a perfectly nice name and at least she wouldn't be one of several in her class with that name now.

coffeetasteslikeshit Sat 17-Dec-16 12:06:06

I like it.

GemmaB78 Sat 17-Dec-16 12:09:55

I like it ;-)

fledglingFTB Sat 17-Dec-16 12:12:43

As a Gemma I've always quietly liked my name, and felt it's quite understated.

It's very easy going. Short, simple, not hard to pronounce and although familiar, it's not overly common. Always nice when someone reaches the tipping point of friendliness and starts to shorten the name too. Slightly egotistical on my behalf I realise, but I do enjoy being called a Gem grin

Your Italian heritage makes it a lovely choice IMO

Oysterbabe Sat 17-Dec-16 12:16:26

It's alright, just a bit dated.

MrsJayy Sat 17-Dec-16 12:18:14

I think it is one of those names that is not back yet Dd is in her 20s a few Gemma's in her school year it was a popular name. There is nothing wrong with it but I just think of that Gemma off Towie and how whiny she is

1horatio Sat 17-Dec-16 12:19:31

Oh... it's nice to hear so many Gemmas (Gemme? 🤔) like their name!

One of the interns of the place I work in was called Gemma. She was an asweome kid (well, I assume she still is😂).

But it's a perfectly nice name and at least she wouldn't be one of several in her class with that name now.

right? I feel like granny names (and don't get me wrong, I really like granny names) are currently very much in style. But in a class with them little Gemma would actually be kind of uncommon, right? But not so 'unique' that nobody could spell it...

And it would work with the name of DD1.

1horatio Sat 17-Dec-16 12:20:41

Who is Gemma of Towie? Should I know her? Is she famous for something bad? Just asked DH, he doesn't know her either 🙈
I'll have to look her up.

throwingpebbles Sat 17-Dec-16 12:21:02

I really like the name smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now