Talk

Advanced search

Ronin not Ronan

(38 Posts)
TallyHoAndToodlePip Thu 15-Dec-16 14:33:57

If I said to you that my sons name was 'Ronin', would you think I'd actually said 'Ronan'? For clarity, it's pronounced 'roe-nin'.

DH and I like the name Ronin but he dislikes Ronan because he doesn't want people to think we named our boy after Ronan Keating. He's not a fan lol. I think he's being silly and that both are nice but DH isn't budging.

Would we end up with massive name regret because we'd have to keep saying "No, not Ronan, Ronin!" confused

PhilODox Thu 15-Dec-16 14:37:23

Ronin, as in paid Japanese killers?
Pretty sure spelling of the name will be the least of the comments !

MoreThanUs Thu 15-Dec-16 14:38:00

I'd definitely think Ronan.

Staranise123 Thu 15-Dec-16 14:41:18

To my ears Ronan sounds different to Ronin, more like Tobin. Even if people mishear the first time, they will only need to be told once.

TallyHoAndToodlePip Thu 15-Dec-16 14:46:07

PhilODox a Ronin was a Samurai without a master and samurai's were military nobility. Not paid Japanese killers.

PhilODox Thu 15-Dec-16 14:51:28

Semantics.
Samurai were paid warrior class.

squoosh Thu 15-Dec-16 14:54:09

I'd think of the Robert de Niro film.

Anatidae Thu 15-Dec-16 14:54:45

Ronin has quite negative connotations. Are you sure? It's not just masterless. It implies the master has been disgraced.

It's also used as slang for unemployed salarymen. It's not a name I'd choose. Plenty of other nice Japanese Ines if that's what you're after

Anatidae Thu 15-Dec-16 14:55:03

Ones... not ines... autocorrect

PhilODox Thu 15-Dec-16 14:57:30

Indeed, Anatidae. They are supposed to commit seppuku.
Dishonourable not to do so.

TallyHoAndToodlePip Thu 15-Dec-16 15:14:44

You all have a good point. Thanks for your honesty and opinions.

Personally, I honestly prefer Ronan. I think that means something like 'little seal' - far more adorable anyway you look at it! As I said before though, DH is having none of it and prefers Ronin and that includes its meaning.

It's not that we're looking for a name of Japanese origin, just that we liked how it sounded. Not looking to be quirky or give the kid a complex!

Maybe we'll both have to back down. I won't get to use Ronan and he won't get to use Ronin. Back to the drawing board!

Anatidae Thu 15-Dec-16 15:26:44

He's thinking that it's some sort of romantic lone wolf thing - it's really not. It has very negative overtones

PhilODox Thu 15-Dec-16 16:54:41

smile You took that with such good grace I feel churlish now!
thanks
People get very defensive about baby name choices, probably because of pregnancy hormones.

TallyHoAndToodlePip Thu 15-Dec-16 18:51:41

I know when I'm beat. Sulking and getting defensive wouldnt change the fact that the meaning of Ronin was fundamentally bad.

I'm sure we'll think of another, more acceptable name before he arrives. Just might take another 20 weeks of debate!

harrietm87 Thu 15-Dec-16 19:10:49

If it makes any difference I'd never heard of Ronin - the name or associations. My first instinct would be that you had misspelt Ronan (or were trying to be unique). I'd imagine he'd have to constantly say "it's Ron-IN with an "i".

birdybirdywoofwoof Thu 15-Dec-16 19:14:36

Ronan is a nice name - and the keating connection is v forgettable.

Roman? Unless he hates Chelsea (like my dh)!

PhilODox Thu 15-Dec-16 21:48:19

Not 'Roman' - people think 'Polanski'

1horatio Thu 15-Dec-16 23:54:19

I know somebody with a son called Ronin.

He (the father, not the son) is a martial artist that's very successful in his discipline.

So, I don't have a bad impression of the name 😅😳

BingBongBam Thu 15-Dec-16 23:57:16

Not roman, the only one I know is a nasty bully!

birdybirdywoofwoof Fri 16-Dec-16 09:09:56

Rowan then?

Surely no negative connotations there!

Waits...

TallyHoAndToodlePip Fri 16-Dec-16 09:10:41

1horatio That made me laugh grin

Thanks to the PP who suggested Roman instead but I'm not so keen on that because it doesn't go so well with our (very) masculine surname. When I put the two together it sounds a bit, dare I say, thuggish!

Funny how changing one letter at a time can make such a difference to how a name is perceived!

Roman = thug name (when coupled with my surname)
Ronan = forever associated by DH with a pop star he loathes
Ronin = disgraced Japanese warrior
Rowan = Mr Bean - 'nuff said!

* Scratches this name off of list completely *

birdybirdywoofwoof Fri 16-Dec-16 09:11:54

x post

Rowan Atkinson of course! (That's a good association really).

TallyHoAndToodlePip Fri 16-Dec-16 09:14:44

Birdy I swear I wrote my comment about Rowan before I saw your latest comment. Cross post!

I did actually suggest Rowan to DH and he said no because of him being the actor who played Mr Bean. I thought he was being silly again but I can't say I love Rowan so wasn't upset about that one.

birdybirdywoofwoof Fri 16-Dec-16 09:22:54

He's a picky sod, your DH! smile

TallyHoAndToodlePip Fri 16-Dec-16 10:36:31

I've given him so many good names and he's shot them all down, mostly for very silly reasons! He's starting to really irk me!

I'm sure we'll get there eventually though smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now