Talk

Advanced search

Is Kit really that popular?

(32 Posts)
Jooni Tue 06-Dec-16 13:02:17

I know Kit pops up in MN threads a lot but I keep seeing comments about how it's getting really popular now and people know tons of baby Kits.

I've never met or even heard of a Kit in real life and it's a name we're strongly considering for DC2 due next year, if it's a boy. I've checked the data for the last few years and it is rapidly increasing in use, but still only 120 odd baby boys were called Kit last year.

How popular is it really getting? Is this just a MN/North London thing? I'm not bothered about it getting a bit more use but I'd rather not pick something that's going to shoot into the top 20 then date really badly. Plus DD has a fairly unusual name so I'd like something with a similar feel to it.

BuntyFigglesworthSpiffington Tue 06-Dec-16 13:13:38

I doubt it's massively popular. Certain names get mentioned a lot on MN and it makes them seem as though they're more popular than they actually are. And the Wayne Rooney connection is likely to make some people who might have chosen it decide against it.

DearMrDilkington Tue 06-Dec-16 13:15:39

Kit?! Like Kit Kat?

Not a fan, I've never heard of it before so can't be too common.

museumum Tue 06-Dec-16 13:16:59

I only know one. Adult. It was awkward when I had to meet him for the first time and didn't know if I was looking for a man or a woman!

user1471461436 Tue 06-Dec-16 13:17:26

I know one and Im in yorkshire

SecondaryQuandary Tue 06-Dec-16 13:18:28

I know one who's 10.

Bohemond Tue 06-Dec-16 13:21:51

I should imagine that most Kits are registered as Christopher therefore it would not show up in the rankings.
I've had had it in mind for a son since the mid nineties but decided not to go for it on the basis that it appeared a lot on Mumsnet!

I know a few, but all short for Christopher and none are 'Kit' in its own right. Perhaps that's where the confusion over popularity is if you're looking at the charts.
I'm in Cheshire by the way

ChewedUpRope Tue 06-Dec-16 13:23:08

Agreed with BuntyFiggles.

Also, lots of people are very hyperbolic about this kind of thing and say things like "omg so many Kits, they're everywhere" because they know two children with the name. So I'd take it all with a pinch of salt.

midsomermurderess Tue 06-Dec-16 13:51:45

Kit preceded and will outlast Wayne Rooney. I agree that it is most used as a nn for Christopher. FWIW, I think it's lovely.

Gruffalosfriend Tue 06-Dec-16 14:03:09

Kit? Like rugby kit?

I don't know anyone with that name

Gruffalosfriend Tue 06-Dec-16 14:03:45

It sounds quite feminine to me, maybe because of Kitty...

CoraPirbright Tue 06-Dec-16 19:37:18

I would think it weird if it was simply 'Kit' but as a shortening for Christopher, I am all for it. I think it is a wonderful name but know none (SE England) so, to me, it is still unusual.

reindeerbitesback Tue 06-Dec-16 19:40:50

People are using Kit as a nn for Christopher, so check the name stats for that as well.

I do know one (I am in London, though).

Nonameyet1 Tue 06-Dec-16 20:07:44

Not that popular at all. I taught one who's probably 10 now. Good name.

3catsandcounting Tue 06-Dec-16 20:18:15

I had an uncle Kit who would have very old by now; also knew a couple of Kits in my teen years; met a young Kit recently. No idea if they were all Christopher's though.
Seems to be fairly a MC name.

Pidlan Tue 06-Dec-16 20:27:59

Gym Kit.
Actually, Jim Kit is a pretty cool name.

MiniMaxi Tue 06-Dec-16 20:30:24

I feel the same about Araminta! Never heard of anyone being called it but constantly mentioned on MN.

Fwiw I think kit is a lovely name - obviously in people's minds because of Kit Harington but I don't know any baby Kits and I'm in N London wink

namesstress2323 Tue 06-Dec-16 20:41:42

i love it, even for a girl. I've never met any though

WyfOfBathe Tue 06-Dec-16 20:48:26

I taught a Kit (short for Christopher) once. He must be in his 20s now. I don't know any others.

Neither Kit nor Christopher were in the top 100 last year.

RalphSteadmansEye Tue 06-Dec-16 20:51:56

The Kits I know are all registered as Christopher so won't show up on the stats.

SoftSheen Tue 06-Dec-16 20:53:55

I know one, a little boy who is nearly two. In his case it is a shortening of Christopher.

restinginmyaccount Tue 06-Dec-16 20:58:21

I met a girl one once. Nice enough.

Kenworthington Tue 06-Dec-16 21:00:36

The only male kit I know is about 45, and I know a female kit aged about 75

IJustWantABrew Tue 06-Dec-16 21:13:50

Someone at my baby massage class has called her baby that. We're up north. Not a name I really like but I don't think there can be that many out there. Suppose a lot of people with register baby as Christopher and use kit as a nick name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now