Talk

Advanced search

4 week old baby boy. 6 names to choose from.

(73 Posts)
doppy Tue 29-Nov-16 23:50:52

My DP and I have got it down to 6. Wondering if anyone can help us get a bit further??

Names left are:
David
Gavin
John
Jonathan
Michael
Peter

As you can tell we like names that aren't used much anymore but are still well known. These are definitely our final 6. Thanks!!

Patriciathestripper1 Tue 29-Nov-16 23:54:27

😟 oh

Pluto30 Tue 29-Nov-16 23:54:42

Like:
- David
- John
- Michael

Don't like:
- Gavin
- Jonathan
- Peter

Gavin is very outdated in the UK. The others are all a bit dated, but ready for a come back. Gavin is more recently outdated and really speaks to a certain time period. I suspect it'll be a bit like Sharon and Michelle - never really going to come back into fashion.

Jonathan just never appealed to me, but I do like John and Johnny. I suppose because the mothers of Jonathans I've known have always insisted that they are "only Jonathan", with no nickname.

I have an irrational dislike of Peter.

Patriciathestripper1 Tue 29-Nov-16 23:55:04

Probably Gavin

doppy Tue 29-Nov-16 23:56:05

Thank you.

Yeah, I really like Johnny/Jonny for either John or Jonathan

Lucked Tue 29-Nov-16 23:57:45

I like them all apart from Gavin.

Peter is especially underused. I know a baby John and found it strange at first as haven't come across any in a long time.

HearTheThunderRoar Tue 29-Nov-16 23:59:44

Agree Gavin is very dated, quite 80s.

None of your names really float my boat, however I like Michael, very strong name and I think it's the most timeless out of all your names.

I also don't mind Jonathan, I find John a bit bland on it's own.

Really don't like David and I feel indifferent about Peter.

IHeartKingThistle Wed 30-Nov-16 00:09:45

I love John. And Peter.

Fozzleyplum Wed 30-Nov-16 00:10:40

I have a teenage Peter. I like all of your shortlist, with the exception of Gavin. My order of preference would be Peter, John, David, Michael.
They are good solid names which, IMO, don't hint at a particular age, class, or trend.

MyBootsAreMuddy Wed 30-Nov-16 00:18:49

I have a 6yr old Jonathan known as Jonny/Jonty.
I also quite like Peter and Michael(know a super cute little 3 yr old nn Mickey)
Not keen on David but I do like Daley
The only Gavins I know are in their 30s and 40s.

CakeRattleandRoll Wed 30-Nov-16 00:19:54

Really like Michael and Peter. John is good too.

marmitecrumpets Wed 30-Nov-16 00:21:36

Peter

QuodPeriitPeriit Wed 30-Nov-16 00:22:21

Was just coming on to say I love Jonathan nn Jonty smile next favourite is Peter. Like PPs I just can't get on board with Gavin though.

Grindelwaldswand Wed 30-Nov-16 00:25:09

Definitely Peter such a classical name long over due a comeback

BeastofCraggyIsland Wed 30-Nov-16 00:30:41

Not keen on Gavin but I like the others. Jonathan nn Jon or Jonny is cool.

FabFiveFreddie Wed 30-Nov-16 00:31:15

Jonathan and Peter for me.

Buntysoven Wed 30-Nov-16 00:49:15

I love the name Peter.

handonhip Wed 30-Nov-16 02:22:37

John and David for me.

saffronwblue Wed 30-Nov-16 02:34:15

Wow OP, we have similar taste (apart from Gavin). Strong, classic, underused names.

My DS is David Matthew - everyone knows how to spell and pronounce it yet he has always been the only one in his class and sometimes the only one in his school.

I would have called any other DS Michael or Peter. I also love John- it is so underused that it now seems edgy and cool!

doppy Wed 30-Nov-16 02:37:26

grin Gavin for some bizarre reason is a guilty pleasure name for me! I think it's because I have met lots of American boys (that are adorable) named Gavin.

MumGoneCrazy Wed 30-Nov-16 02:52:05

I have a family member called Gavin whose in his early 30's, haven't met anyone younger with it.

None of them are to my personal taste, but from that list I'd pick Jonathan as there are different ways to shorten it

AnnieAnoniMouse Wed 30-Nov-16 02:54:24

David
Gavin
John
Jonathan
Michael
Peter

😊 It's like being in a time machine 😂

School friends, cousins, ex's...arghhhh

I honestly can't picture calling a baby any of these, but I'm sure whichever you choose will be perfect for your DS and seem really cute. I'm envious, I can almost smell the newborn from here! 💐

Pallisers Wed 30-Nov-16 03:10:48

John is a great name.

If my sister had another son he would have been Peter - don't like it myself.

Jooni Wed 30-Nov-16 04:17:21

I think Peter is lovely. I find your list refreshingly solid but underused nowadays, the only one I really don't like is Gavin.

Congratulations on your new baby!

cheweduprope Wed 30-Nov-16 08:01:04

Love Michael! Hate Gavin! The rest are okay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now