Talk

Advanced search

Please rate my shortlists - losing the will...

(46 Posts)
babyinthacorner Tue 29-Nov-16 22:26:10

Due on Friday and just can't find a name we're 100% sure of, so please help!

Names neither of us have vetoed are...

Boys - middle name Michael Matthew or Michael Ernest.
Lucian
Dexter
Rafael
Asher
Gabriel - I'd have to fight HARD for this as friends already have a boy called Gabriel. They've said they don't mind, but DH is against it.
Charlie - probably the favourite, but I'm unsure as to whether it should be Charles but known as Charlie - just to have that option.

Girls - middle name Anne and possibly something else.
Amber 
LYRA - my favourite but some family members are a bit hmm
Stella
Genevieve
Giselle

Thanks!

MollyHuaCha Tue 29-Nov-16 22:42:56

I like Charles, Gabriel and all of your girls' names apart from Lyra (I read it quickly and thought it said Lycra ...). Why not wait till baby arrives and see what they look like?

Wishing you lots of happiness with your new little one smile

TrishanFlips Tue 29-Nov-16 22:43:46

Charles Michael Earnest

Stella Anne

ScarletSienna Tue 29-Nov-16 22:50:09

Love Rapael and Gabriel.
Lyra and Genevieve are my favourites on the girls' names list. I've only met one Lyra before but it feels familiar.

Sophronia Tue 29-Nov-16 22:57:12

Charles Michael Ernest and Genevieve Anne are my favourites.

SpeckledyBanana Tue 29-Nov-16 22:58:15

Charlie

Lyra

Allovertheworld16 Tue 29-Nov-16 23:01:40

I like Charles and Gabriel and Genevieve

DramaAlpaca Tue 29-Nov-16 23:03:58

I like Charles Michael Matthew from your boys' list. I'd go with Charles on the BC nn Charlie. I personally really dislike Ernest, so I'd choose Matthew as the second middle name.

I love the name Lyra, it's gorgeous. Lyra Genevieve Anne would be nice.

saffronwblue Tue 29-Nov-16 23:07:19

Love Gabriel and thought about it for DS. He now informs me that it would instantly be Gayboy in the school yard.
I would pick genevieve or Charles.

Yika Tue 29-Nov-16 23:07:34

I love Rafael and Asher.

Lyra is pretty. Also like Stella a lot.

babyinthacorner Tue 29-Nov-16 23:12:47

Thanks all! Really helpful smile

Stilldreamingofsun Tue 29-Nov-16 23:21:27

We have very similar taste and four of your boys names were on my list! I have a Raphael who is now 5 weeks old so that's obviously my favourite! Would like to know your surname to see how it sounds? Mine is a French surname so flows together. Stella is my favourite of your girls.

lananzack Tue 29-Nov-16 23:24:24

Absolutely LOVE Lucian. Was on my list for DS but DP hated it sad

Genevieve is my favourite out of the girls names.

Soozikinzi Tue 29-Nov-16 23:32:20

Genevieve definitely love that name xx

Soozikinzi Tue 29-Nov-16 23:34:01

Like Michael Matthew can't they be first xx

BackforGood Tue 29-Nov-16 23:40:10

I too like Michael and I like Matthew - is there no possibility of either of them being the first name?

Of your list, the only one I'd consider is Charles.

Sorry, don't like any of the girls' names.

HearTheThunderRoar Tue 29-Nov-16 23:42:42

I love Genevieve, gorgeous name, thats my favourite and it flows well with Anne (great middle name ;) ) I also like Stella and Giselle.

I'm not keen on Lyra and Amber falls in the meh category for me, especially compared to your other names.

Gabriel is my favourite for boys names, I can't say I'm overly fond of any of your other boys names though, however Charlie is ok.

Pluto30 Wed 30-Nov-16 00:00:49

I always see Lyra as "lycra" too.

Genevieve is my favourite girl name from your list. Genevieve Ann. I also like Stella, but not with Ann because it runs together badly and sounds like "stellaran".

Of your boys names, I like Charlie the best. Charlie Michael Ernest is lovely. Please don't name your son Dexter, it's so synonymous with the TV show and the character is hardly something to aspire to.

Baylisiana Wed 30-Nov-16 00:16:16

I like Lucien, Rafael and actually Asher...it has something about it and will be shortened to Ash which I think is quite cool.

I like Lyra lots, and second choice Giselle.

If you do decide on Charlie, definitely have Charles on the birth certificate, it is two for the price of one then.

CakeRattleandRoll Wed 30-Nov-16 00:23:28

Favourites are Rafael (or Michael) and Genevieve.

viques Wed 30-Nov-16 00:34:15

Don't know if it is just me but I find Lyra Anne really hard to say, I also think Amber Anne sounds a bit odd for some reason. Genevieve anne however is lovely and has a good ring, just make sure it doesn't spell a word with your surname initial.

Charles Matthew works well. Dexter reminds me of cows!

AutumnalLeaves38 Wed 30-Nov-16 01:40:36

My votes:

Rafael/ Raphael
One of my very favourite boys' names. Unusual, but in the best possible way. Brings to mind someone creative, intelligent and strong.

Of your chosen middle name combinations, I prefer Michael Matthew.

Genevieve
Very pretty. Know two, one of whom (French background) pronounces it "ZHUN-a-vee-ev", rather than the other "Jen-a-veev". Lovely either way.

Potential sweet nicknames for when she's young, too: Gen, Neve, Eve, Evie, Vivi (pron. "VeeVee").

flowers Good luck for when the star of the show puts in his/ her appearance! Exciting.

QuodPeriitPeriit Wed 30-Nov-16 01:43:07

Exactly what AutumnalLeaves said smile

griffinsss Wed 30-Nov-16 02:55:24

I really love Stella and Genevieve for a girl. Quite like Lyra too, this is the first time I'm hearing it though (names take a lot of time to grow on me).

Your boys names are almost all family names (except Dexter and Asher, but we have an Ash used as mn) so I'm quite biased. I definitely think Charles nn Charlie is better than Charlie alone, but that's just my personal preference.

AnnieAnoniMouse Wed 30-Nov-16 03:01:17

Charles Matthew (I'd skip the Michael - if someone is annoyed promise to use it next time)

Genevieve (Evie) Anne

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now