Talk

Advanced search

What do you think of these names?

(19 Posts)
SoOverPeppa123 Mon 28-Nov-16 21:02:55

Trying to decide between Jessica, Valentina, Sophia, Mila or Amelie?

MiniAlphaBravo Mon 28-Nov-16 21:05:09

Mila seems to be the latest celeb name so I'm not a fan. There are now 2 at my dd1 nursery. Also dislike Amelie. Sophia and Jessica are nice but I prefer Valentina. Considering it for my dd2 in fact!

BroomstickOfLove Mon 28-Nov-16 21:10:13

Jessica is overused. Amelie was overused so much that it now seems a little bit has-been. I know a very nice Mila and a couple of Nice Valentinas, so those would be my favourites. I think that without the influence of DD's lively friend Mila, I would probably have a slight preference for Valentina.

DarkBlueEyes Mon 28-Nov-16 21:13:12

Valentina is divine. The others not so much.

BroomstickOfLove Mon 28-Nov-16 21:13:24

Sophia is also very nice. I think it might be my favourite, actually, because it is beautiful and strong and elegant without being flashy, whereas Mila and Valentina are both lovely in a slightly noisier way than Sophia.

SleepyRoo Mon 28-Nov-16 21:25:18

I think Valentina is nice if you have a Spanish/Italian heritage. Otherwise no.

SoOverPeppa123 Mon 28-Nov-16 21:33:49

Agree that valentina might be odd for a non- Italian girl - is sophia very popular though?

Awwlookatmybabyspider Mon 28-Nov-16 21:41:27

I wouldn't say Jessica was overused. Its quite unique now.
Amelia. Yes it's over used but If you not bothered about her being one of 5 in her class. Then its fine. Not everyone cares about popularity, do they
Sophia.. See Amelia
Mila. Not fussed. I think this is going to rise in popularity, abs date just as quickly. I'd also struggle with the pronunciation. Is it Said as Mil-er, Mee-ler, My-ler

Awwlookatmybabyspider Mon 28-Nov-16 21:42:14

Valentina is gorgeous. She can use Val, Valley or Tina as a nn

Paddington68 Mon 28-Nov-16 21:49:10

My assistant is called Valentina. She is Italian.

Diel Mon 28-Nov-16 22:03:16

We are considering Valentina and we are not Italian or Spanish, I did wonder if it's trying a bit hard...but it's so beautiful! I also love Mila and Sophia

NineInchNails Mon 28-Nov-16 22:07:19

Amelie is still a beautiful name. Valentina sounds like the new Chardonnay/Chelsea sorry!

DoYouRememberJustinBobby Mon 28-Nov-16 22:08:56

Valentina and Jessica are lovely.
Valentina at our nursery is shortened to Nina.

BroomstickOfLove Mon 28-Nov-16 22:12:20

I wouldn't call Jessica unique - it's been in the top 10 for the past 20 years or so, and is above the other 4 in terms of popularity, although Sophia is a fairly close runner-up.

rainbow99 Mon 28-Nov-16 22:29:24

My favourites are Sophia and Valentina - they are both beautiful names! Then it would be Amelie, Jessica and Mila

SoOverPeppa123 Tue 29-Nov-16 09:48:41

What about Jessa or Jessamine as an alternative to jessica?

ViewBasket Tue 29-Nov-16 10:10:09

I like Sophia and Jessica.

Jooni Tue 29-Nov-16 19:40:38

Valentina is a lot more "wow" than the others. The others are perfectly nice, my favourites from the rest being Sophia and Amelie, but they feel very safe and ordinary. Valentina for me.

wigglesrock Tue 29-Nov-16 19:56:56

The only thing that would put me off Valentina would be it ever got shortened to Tina. We had Valentina floating around for dd3 (as a middle name) - didn't use it in the end, but I've always had a soft spot for it. I have a Sophia but spelt differently.

Jessica is nice, just nice. I like Jess more than Jessica. Jessica is like Nichola to me - a bit dated maybe? I really like Mila (I would say it as Meela). Amelie wouldn't be a favourite.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now