Talk

Advanced search

Initials SS

(26 Posts)
mummytobeforbabyno1 Sun 27-Nov-16 19:21:04

We are keeping any names to ourselves till baby is born (although we haven't actually decided yet) but was talking to a family member today and she asked what OH's surname was so I told her and it begins with S and so she said, well you can have any names other then those starting with S really. Now I understand that SS can stand for the nazi party army and I wondered if that really did mean we should rule out all S names as we had a boys name we really liked. Middle name for a boy will begin with J but unsure on girls so far.

Opinions welcomed!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 27-Nov-16 19:23:12

I think it would be crazy to avoid SS. Really overthinking.

lorelairoryemily Sun 27-Nov-16 19:24:48

My mothers initials are SS, no need to avoid!! No one has ever said any such thing to her!!!

KlingybunFistelvase Sun 27-Nov-16 19:26:29

No need to avoid these. Have you ever thought Steven Spielberg, Susan Sarandon or Stephen Segal have terrible initials? It's never crossed my mind!

lorelairoryemily Sun 27-Nov-16 19:28:40

klingy
That's an excellent point!!!

LuchiMangsho Sun 27-Nov-16 19:33:20

I have 3 people in my family with those initials. It has become a 'thing'. We are not remotely German (not even ethnically Caucasian). No one has ever in our lives commented on this.

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Sun 27-Nov-16 19:41:17

My DS, my DH, my DFIL and his dad all have/had SS as their initials. Don't worry about it!

katiegg Sun 27-Nov-16 19:41:21

Would never have occurred to me to avoid SS. And I don't think the Nazi link has ever occurred to me when I've met someone with the initials SS. Your family member is most definitely over-thinking this!

BadToTheBone Sun 27-Nov-16 19:42:58

I know several, never occurred to me.

SingaSong12 Sun 27-Nov-16 19:50:38

Wouldn't ever occur to me. Whatever you choose there is the chance that it will come to be thought of in a different way (better or worse). Maybe there will be a celebrity or a criminal with that name. Or a name Is associated with something else such as the beautiful name Isis

EssentialHummus Sun 27-Nov-16 19:57:24

I'm an SS (and Jewish - thanks parents). I have had (jokey) comments from people, I really dislike my initial and I'd avoid if I was in the same situation with my own DC.

rainbow99 Sun 27-Nov-16 22:11:52

Would never occur to me and also know several

mummytobeforbabyno1 Sun 27-Nov-16 22:25:15

Thanks all. Yeah I actually have had chance to think about it there are 2 people on other halfs side with initials SS.

raisedbyguineapigs Sun 27-Nov-16 22:29:21

My initials were SS until I got married. I wish I'd kept it, as it really flows when you are doing signatures grin or if you have to initial anything!

My parents deliberately wanted SS ( Theyre not Nazi's) and I never had any comments about it.

iklboo Sun 27-Nov-16 22:39:48

My maiden initials were TB & my friend's were VD.

MiniMaxi Mon 28-Nov-16 09:18:22

Wouldn't think twice about it, OP!

bloodymaria Mon 28-Nov-16 09:25:29

SJS is probably the best possible combination of initials ever grin

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Mon 28-Nov-16 09:28:32

One of my sisters was/is SS. She now uses her married name for personal life, but still uses her maiden name in her professional world.

She's in her 40's now and I'm not aware of it ever having been an issue at all confused.

SpidersFromMars Mon 28-Nov-16 09:30:25

SS just reminds me of ships. Not a bad association at all.

SarcasmMode Mon 28-Nov-16 09:36:51

You'd probably be limited to 2 letters if you avoided all combinations that have a meaning.

As long as it's not something really obvious like ass or tit, I don't see the big deal.

SarcasmMode Mon 28-Nov-16 09:39:30

I think of social services when I hear SS anyway not nazis.

Raines100 Tue 29-Nov-16 12:31:13

Go for a mn beginning with A, so if it's a boy he can be SAS. Très cool and kind like of the anti-SS.

stumblymonkey Tue 29-Nov-16 12:35:05

My initials are SS and no-one has ever mentioned it. In fact I hadn't even thought of it myself until this. Massively overthinking!

cheweduprope Tue 29-Nov-16 12:43:15

There was a thread about this a few weeks ago and in that one basically every single person responded as they have in this one.

I went out with an SS when I was younger and I never thought anything of it, and as far as I'm aware, nor did she or anyone we knew.

Kel1234 Tue 29-Nov-16 12:44:18

My husbands initials are SS

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now