Talk

Advanced search

Olivie?

(15 Posts)
octoberfarm Sat 26-Nov-16 14:12:53

Okay so having a discussion with DH about future girl names, and one we both love is Olivie - the French version of Olivia. Main concern is it might sound a bit like "huh, that tastes kind of olive-y", but Olivia is a bit too popular and I can't sell him on Oliver for a boy. My maiden name is French and my first name is also, so it wouldn't be like a bolt out of the blue to be using a French name. It's pronounced just like Olivia, just without the A at the end.

Really love it, but still not sure. Thoughts?

MidnightVelvetthe7th Sat 26-Nov-16 14:14:37

I like it but I would think most people would mistake it for a typo on Olivia.

ageingrunner Sat 26-Nov-16 14:20:25

It wouldn't sound as nice in an English accent as it would in French. It might end up being olive-i instead of olive-ee

CremeEggThief Sat 26-Nov-16 14:22:09

It definitely sounds olivey. So what if Olivia is popular? If it's the name you like best, use it.

MiniAlphaBravo Sat 26-Nov-16 14:23:32

Hmm I don't think this one translates too well. I'd probably go with Olivia or something else French. Or maybe Ottillie.

WaitrosePigeon Sat 26-Nov-16 14:23:47

I read it as Olivey - and so will most other people.

Error404usernamenotfound Sat 26-Nov-16 14:27:46

Doesn't sound right with an English accent, although it's beautiful in a French one (btw, I'm very glad I'm alone in the house at the mo...)

I would suggest either Olivia (not so many being born now as a few years ago), Olive, or perhaps as a middle name, with something more Brit-friendly as the first name?

FrancisCrawford Sat 26-Nov-16 14:52:42

I like it pronounced the same way as Sir laurence Olivier.

Pronounced like Olivia minus the A just sounds incomplete and a bit unsatisfactory, if you see what I mean. And people may say "Olivey" which presumably is not what you want.

Heratnumber7 Sat 26-Nov-16 15:20:51

I'm pretty sure Olivie isn't the French form of Olivia.
How would you pronounce it? I'd read it as Olivee.

octoberfarm Sat 26-Nov-16 17:47:24

Thanks for all your replies, I really appreciate it! Olivie is the French and Czech variant I think, but it's not super common.

We actually live in the US, but I take your points about pronunciation/misspelling. Sigh, oh well. We like Ottilie!

PterodactylToenails Sat 26-Nov-16 18:51:22

I have to say it made my eyes go a little funny and I wasn't sure if I was reading Oliver or Olivia misspelt.

Heratnumber7 Sat 26-Nov-16 18:59:15

Olivie is the French and Czech variant I think
Don't believe everything you read on t'internet. I've never heard Olivie used in France, and all Czech girls' names end in 'a'

octoberfarm Sat 26-Nov-16 20:48:49

I knew a French Olivie, but I may well be wrong about the Czech. Not to worry, just wanted to get people's opinions on the name. Thanks everyone!

Pluto30 Sat 26-Nov-16 20:56:49

Don't like it. It sounds like a description, "it's olivey toned".

If it's pronounced like Olivia, name her Olivia. It doesn't matter the popularity because Olivie is the same name, just spelt differently.

PlasticBertrand Sun 27-Nov-16 21:30:53

Been teaching in France for over twenty years and never come across Olivie as a name. It might exist but it's extremely rare if it does. It doesn't turn up on the main baby name websites. Livie and Olivette are the variants on the usual Olivia that I've encountered.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now