Help with names for baby girl #1

(22 Posts)
LittleFilly Mon 21-Nov-16 16:57:01

Ladies – need your help!! confused

We're due in 7 and a half weeks with a little girl. We have these names on our shortlist:

Alice
Charlotte
Evelyn
Georgina
Mathilda

All work with our last name, which is short and fairly traditional. We're struggling a bit as the name needs to work in the UK, Australia and the US (combination of family and where we live!). Trying to avoid anything insanely popular, but it's proving difficult.

Would love your opinions (honest but not brutally unkind please!). Open to fresh suggestions too.

Bellaposy Mon 21-Nov-16 17:08:24

Love your choice of names! I would personally avoid Evelyn (lots of Eve, Evie, Eva etc around) and I prefer Matilda without the 'h'. You would probably end up having to correct people a lot. I know a newborn Alice Elizabeth which I thought was beautiful and classic. We went for Helena for our 6 month old.

Good luck with your little one!

LittleFilly Mon 21-Nov-16 17:22:26

Thanks Bellaposy! I love Helena too – that was on our slightly longer list as it's a family name. Beautiful choice.

Had similar worries about Evelyn (even though I love it). And pronunciation issues (different in UK from Oz and US).

AutumnalLeaves38 Mon 21-Nov-16 17:49:22

(Really like Mathilda/ Matilda!)

Lara
Lucia (friends' daughter is with a soft 'c', but the Italian Loo-Chee-ah pronunciation is equally pretty)
Natasha
Thalia (pronounced with a hard 't')
Elise

It's so hard, isn't it?

Whatever name you end up with, best wishes for a safe (and speedy!) delivery of your lovely girl.

Coey2016 Mon 21-Nov-16 18:13:11

They are all quite popular where I am except Georgina. My favourite is Alice. Very pretty and classic.

TeddyIsaHe Mon 21-Nov-16 18:20:52

I'm due in 7 and a half weeks, and my shortlist looks incredibly similar to yours. However I am no help, as we are completely stuck on names. Love Mathilda/Matilda though!

Sugarpiehoneyeye Mon 21-Nov-16 18:26:36

Helena is beautiful OP.
Kathryn
Josephine
Caroline
Rosanna
Emmeline
Harriet
Susannah

allthatnonsense Mon 21-Nov-16 18:29:43

Alice Charlotte
Charlotte Georgina

Sophronia Mon 21-Nov-16 18:58:39

I really like Georgina, very pretty and underused.

Anna
Clara
Cecilia
Esther
Eliza
Eleanor
Genevieve
Isabel
Josephine
Juliet
Julia
Joanna
Katherine/Catherine
Louisa
Marianne
Miriam
Rosalind
Ramona
Rebecca
Rosa
Susanna
Tabitha
Vivienne

HarryLimeFoxtrot Mon 21-Nov-16 19:07:26

I think Evelina has a more 'uniform' pronounciation - would that be a possibility?

I like Georgina - much nicer than the more common Georgia which is incredibly popular round here

Alice and Charlotte are both reasonably popular (for good reason - they are nice, traditional names). How much does that bother you?

The only name on your shortlist which I'm not especially keen on Mathilda.

DavidPuddy Mon 21-Nov-16 19:10:48

Charlotte is the nicest, then Mathilda. I find Alice is a smug name, Georgina not pretty and Evelyns are two a penny. I know personsally two baby Evelyns born in the last months.

MikeUniformMike Mon 21-Nov-16 19:16:26

Alice is lovely. Charlotte - if it's good enough for the Cambridges... I know a gorgeous Georgina (Gina). Matilda I like but it will be Mat or Tilly. Evelyn just makes me thing of Waugh. I like Helena.

Thatwaslulu Mon 21-Nov-16 19:18:32

I like Georgina, and it's not too commonly used so would be good in a sea of Evies and Lilys.

Ida3456 Mon 21-Nov-16 19:20:47

I think people will spell Mathilda as Matilda. It is a lovely name though, as is Charlotte. And Alice. I don't think you need fresh suggestions!!

TheTantrumCometh Mon 21-Nov-16 19:24:48

I have an Alice, and though I've heard of a few others girls with the name, mainly on days out etc, we only know one other personally and there's no others in her year at school. It's fairly popular (I think it's in the mid 20's now), but I think it's one of those names that doesn't gain significant popularity, like top ten, but doesn't drop out of the top 100 either, so it's consistent. If that makes sense confused

I think it works well in the countries you've mentioned also.

Pluto30 Mon 21-Nov-16 19:25:08

Mathilda will be spelt as Matilda constantly...

I like Charlotte the best and Evelyn the least. I don't mind Georgina, but prefer Georgia.

DavidPuddy Mon 21-Nov-16 19:25:49

I love Gina as a nickname! Georgina is my new favourite.

Joinourclub Mon 21-Nov-16 19:35:32

All perfectly safe and lovely - you can't go wrong.

KlingybunFistelvase Mon 21-Nov-16 19:37:41

All nice! I think Mathilda is my favourite.

LittleFilly Mon 21-Nov-16 22:58:50

Thanks for all the excellent responses. Keep them coming!

hoddtastic Tue 22-Nov-16 00:12:00

matilda, charlotte and eve names are v v popular.

Georgina is fabulous, as is Alice.

Do you like Juliet? Harriet? Lara?

LittleFilly Tue 22-Nov-16 03:18:58

Thanks Hoddtastic. We like Harriet and nn Harri / Harry. For some reason it didn't make the shortlist – now wondering why not.

Alice ranks more popular than Charlotte and Matilda / Mathilda nationally, although none of them are top 20. But think it depends a lot where you live...

Goodness – opinions are very split (although seems to be a rough consensus that Evelyn is a bad idea).

This is hard confused! Wish I could choose all of them smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now